HELP - Home key and others not working

droidheadache

Reaction score
I'm brand new to this, so please go easy. My phone is completely stock (original Moto Droid, running Android ver 2.2.3, build FRK76).
Recently it's been acting up more than normal (which is saying something). Two days ago it erased all my text messages. As of yesterday, the Home key (along with several areas on the virtual portrait keyboard and virtual landscape keyboard stopped responding).
Not working:
Home
Browser (from hotkey and also from app list)
several letters in virtual keyboard (portrait... u, i, o, j, b, n; landscape... some parts of XT9 suggested word bar)

I've already tried all the basic stuff (pull the battery, hard reset, uninstall apps).
I just did a hard reset (using Privacy / Factory data reset), and it didn't fix it.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I need to make this thing last until June or July, and it won't make it if I can't use some of the virtual keys.

BTW - I'm not so Android literate, so I wasn't planning to root it.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

nickmind

Reaction score
I'm brand new to this, so please go easy. My phone is completely stock (original Moto Droid, running Android ver 2.2.3, build FRK76).
Recently it's been acting up more than normal (which is saying something). Two days ago it erased all my text messages. As of yesterday, the Home key (along with several areas on the virtual portrait keyboard and virtual landscape keyboard stopped responding).
Not working:
Home
Browser (from hotkey and also from app list)
several letters in virtual keyboard (portrait... u, i, o, j, b, n; landscape... some parts of XT9 suggested word bar)

I've already tried all the basic stuff (pull the battery, hard reset, uninstall apps).
I just did a hard reset (using Privacy / Factory data reset), and it didn't fix it.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I need to make this thing last until June or July, and it won't make it if I can't use some of the virtual keys.

BTW - I'm not so Android literate, so I wasn't planning to root it.

Thanks for your help!

Are you saying you tried the Hard reset via Stock Recovery? That is the method from:
  • Power off your phone
  • Slide the keyboard out, Press and hold X, and also the Power Button. You will get a yellow triangle
  • Then slide screen down to access Volume UP and Camera Buttons. Press both buttons at the same time, you may have to do this a few times. You will see a blueish menu come up.
  • Select wipe data/factory reset
If that does not get your screen Keyboard working then you maybe looking at a damage screen... :( maybe.

Nick

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
2 questions

First have you installed Moto Home fix? that usually breaks home button?
Second have you tried installing Home Smack and setting those keys again?

nickmind

Reaction score
2 questions

First have you installed Moto Home fix? that usually breaks home button?
Second have you tried installing Home Smack and setting those keys again?

He had already listed that he factory reset, that would have cleared both packages.

Nick

Last edited:
OP
D

droidheadache

Reaction score
He had already listed that he factory reset, that would have cleared both packages.

Nick

Thanks for the replies.
I did both the software reset (in the settings menu), and the hardware reset that involves the camera button, etc.
Neither one worked. Later I realized that the entire strip of the screen which contains the Home button didn't work. So, I believe it's a damaged screen. Since it's expensive to replace the screen (maybe $130 for the parts?), I'm considering:
1) deal with it for another 6 months (physically possible by a combination of portrait to landscape movements, and physical keyboard usage)
2) use a friend's old blackberry for the next 6 months (that would be a tough transition from the Droid)
3) buying a tempororary smartphone on ebay, using it for 6 months, and then maybe selling it (one possibility is the HTC Droid Incredible 2)

Let me know if you have any ideas or recommendations.
Thanks.