HELP! Have to return phone...

acrahe1

Reaction score
So here's the skinny...while working with a large metro police department, I dropped my Moto Droid and it fell about 8' onto the pavement below directly on the screen. As you can imagine, it shattered. Now I'm stuck taking it to Verizon (though there is no insurance on the phone due to a snafu on their part, which is another story for another time) to talk replacement. I am running a rooted jrummy rom with an alternative boot screen. Here are my questions:

1) What is the easiest way to backup the phone as it is now so I can just put the rom and apps back on when I get a new one (if such an option exists)?

2) Is Verizon going to throw a hissyfit since I have a different rom on it when I take it in? How does one reset that to factory so as not to cause some Verizon rep heartburn when he looks at it?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
acrahe1 I moved this thread into the Rescue Squad area...

The pro's will get you your answers quickly.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Does the phone work, besides the broken screen?

If so, do a nandroid backup and then use link 4 in my sig to get back to unrooted stock.

ohcop72

Reaction score
I had almost the exact thing happen to me last month. problem with unrooting is you can not see the screen. Hook the Droid up to RSD Lite via usb. You can unroot that way. When you replace your phone take your SD card and put it in the new phone and all other info is backed up by Google. Worked fine for me...

OP
A

acrahe1

Reaction score
Thanks for the assist, cereal.

Yes, the screen works, it's just got a spiderweb crack starting in the lower right hand corner that makes it really tough to use. It still works though...thankfully.

I hope to get this resolved quickly since I :icon_evil: :icon_evil: *hate* :icon_evil: :icon_evil: the Blackberry I'm in until then...

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Does the phone work, besides the broken screen?

If so, do a nandroid backup and then use link 4 in my sig to get back to unrooted stock.

Thanks for the assist, cereal.

Yes, the screen works, it's just got a spiderweb crack starting in the lower right hand corner that makes it really tough to use. It still works though...thankfully.

I hope to get this resolved quickly since I :icon_evil: :icon_evil: *hate* :icon_evil: :icon_evil: the Blackberry I'm in until then...

Since the screen still works, then use Tallica's method I quoted. When you use his link 4, you might want to add a step to format /system just before you apply the Master FRG22D update.zip file that that method contains. Also in my sig.

good luck

p.s. and as ohcop said, you will be keeping the sdcard that's in your phone now, therefore you'll still have any backups, etc., for the replacement phone, if it's a A855.

Last edited: