HELP! GN is totally wacked from Franco's 16.2 kernel

Big Ry

Reaction score
I been flashing Franco's kernels since 12.x and loving them. And I been tweaking voltages for optimum performance/efficiency each time as well. Franco just release 16.2, so I flashed it via his updater app. I noticed right off the bat that the voltages he chose for this kernel are absurd. They are ridiculously high for all slots. Also, they are not in increments of 25 as in previous kernels (not that this might necessarily matter, just pointing it out). I gave it a benchmark (Antutu) just to see how it'd do with those V (using francoGazelle), and sure enough, it dropped 2000 points to ~5000. So I started tweaking them, dropping them around to where I had them on previous kernels. I got 1350 to 1175mV without reboot. I moved to 1200 and got it to 1175 as well, but the benchmark suffered greatly, so I tried going up. I tried 1225...set a new benchmark record of 7065 COOL! So I tried 1250 and it froze in the middle of the benchmark test. I ended up pulling the battery so it didn't cook it self to death. Then it boot looped for a while ("set on boot" was NOT set in setCPU/Franco kernel/AOKP ROM...i don't know why it boot looped). I kept pulling the battery and it kept boot looping. This kept happening for a good 30 minutes till it finally booted. But not it started re-activating like I just wiped. My apps are still there, but many of them wont open. Its running very VERY sluggishly and I'm getting tons of errors and FCs. Widgets are messed up and most defaults are erased. What happened!? Is it screwed up? The voltages Franco had the kernel set at were higher than 1250...all the slots were around 1300+ mV!!! Why did it take a dump at only 1250?

Last edited:

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
He probably pushed them up to stock voltages.

voltages.PNG

^credit to Fabolous for that chart.

I assume something is wacky with the voltages you tried, governor, or even completely kernel related. Not every device can handle undervolting or overclocking, different kernels may give you better luck in this respect too.

In his thread it looks as though a few folks are having troubles with the newer Franco kernels, ( [KERNEL][GPL][10 FEB - #16.2] franco.Kernel | 4.0.3 | OC | UV | INIT.D | COLORCONTROL - Page 189 - xda-developers ).

Have you set anything at boot? If so I would remove them from boot.

Perhaps a wipe and fresh start is in order? Or perhaps a different kernel?

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
He probably pushed them up to stock voltages.

voltages.PNG

^credit to Fabolous for that chart.

I assume something is wacky with the voltages you tried, governor, or even completely kernel related. Not every device can handle undervolting or overclocking, different kernels may give you better luck in this respect too.

In his thread it looks as though a few folks are having troubles with the newer Franco kernels, ( [KERNEL][GPL][10 FEB - #16.2] franco.Kernel | 4.0.3 | OC | UV | INIT.D | COLORCONTROL - Page 189 - xda-developers ).

Have you set anything at boot? If so I would remove them from boot.

Perhaps a wipe and fresh start is in order? Or perhaps a different kernel?
If those are stock voltages, then many who claim to use stock voltages do not use them. IIRC, the lower end frequencies were a bit higher then that, but I'm not going back to find out. I ended up wiping and reflashing AOKP M3. Im sticking with it's stock kernel till the next Franco kernel release. Unfortunately, I lost everything. I always kept a TI backup, but I recently decided to wipe it because it was getting clustered with a bunch of old backups and was just messy. I figured I'd make a fresh one soon enough before the next ROM flash. Of course the one time I do that, my damn GN takes a dump :mad:

Reaction score
Hey Big Ry, I have Franco's new kernel installed on AOKP with no problems...getting good battery life and the phone is smooth as butter! Honestly what I have learned in the past with my D1 is every phone likes different kernels...some run low volt with high slots an others couldn't some need high volt I think it just depends on your phone an what it likes...if you find settings that work keep those and if a certain kernel don't work use the one that did and then try the next one when its updated...

Sent from a Galaxy an LTE tower away

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
Hey Big Ry, I have Franco's new kernel installed on AOKP with no problems...getting good battery life and the phone is smooth as butter! Honestly what I have learned in the past with my D1 is every phone likes different kernels...some run low volt with high slots an others couldn't some need high volt I think it just depends on your phone an what it likes...if you find settings that work keep those and if a certain kernel don't work use the one that did and then try the next one when its updated...

Sent from a Galaxy an LTE tower away
Ha, whats up bud! Yeah, my GN seems to like pretty low V on the higher slots. It performs very well like that and theoretically should get better battery life, so its a win-win! Do you know if Franco's updater app downloads the kernels to a specific directory on the device? I was unable to locate any kernels after I started using the updater app. I didn't want to jump all the way back to a 15.x kernel.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Just my opinion, but I tend to stay away from "updater apps" when it comes to ROMs/Kernels. Even if its just downloading a Rom/Kernel, I stick to manual installation all the way around.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I tend to stay away from "updater apps" when it comes to ROMs/Kernels. Even if its just downloading a Rom/Kernel, I stick to manual installation all the way around.
its so much easier and quicker though. I can just do it on the run...no computer needed

Reaction score
Ha, whats up bud! Yeah, my GN seems to like pretty low V on the higher slots. It performs very well like that and theoretically should get better battery life, so its a win-win! Do you know if Franco's updater app downloads the kernels to a specific directory on the device? I was unable to locate any kernels after I started using the updater app. I didn't want to jump all the way back to a 15.x kernel.

Yea not really sure where it downloads but...I know its suppose to install it for you. I have the updater app but dont use it for updates i download manually like patmw123 said... I feel like i know its done right then!

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
its so much easier and quicker though. I can just do it on the run...no computer needed

"Easier and quicker" *MIGHT* have been the reason your having issues. Just my .02 :biggrin:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I seem to recall reading that Franco put the voltages back to stock because he found virtually no battery savings by lower the voltages. In fact, again if I remember correctly, he found some cases where lowering voltages actually caused increased battery consumption. Bare in mind, I did not take the time to go find the threads and all is strictly from my "old and frayed" memory.

Good luck

JoelWRX

Reaction score
The galaxy nexus voltages are lower then other OMAP 4460 chip sets. This being said, I have found reducing the voltage by only 5% does the trick. Also, I personally, haven't had much luck with Franco kernels. Faux makes an awesome kernel that "just works" and is always being updated with the most recent OMAP patches. He also makes a "reset" kernel to flash if you get stuck or are switching kernels.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
The galaxy nexus voltages are lower then other OMAP 4460 chip sets. This being said, I have found reducing the voltage by only 5% does the trick. Also, I personally, haven't had much luck with Franco kernels. Faux makes an awesome kernel that "just works" and is always being updated with the most recent OMAP patches. He also makes a "reset" kernel to flash if you get stuck or are switching kernels.

haven't tried faux but Franco's have been awesome for me till this last one

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

JRogers1978

Reaction score
"Easier and quicker" *MIGHT* have been the reason your having issues. Just my .02 :biggrin:

I've been using Franco's Updater app as well and have never had a problem. Although I haven't messed around with lowering the voltages since for the most part it looks like it doesn't really help with battery. Just using the stock settings, I believe francoGazelle 400/1000 Mhz, and I get awesome battery life!

McBain01

Reaction score
Somebody quoted a post from Franco's twitter or Facebook over in the Franco kernel thread on rootzwiki where Franco said he was working to correct the issues because this last one was very experimental. I like his stuff but it would be nice if he advised of that type of info right when he puts it up to separate experimentals from the more stable builds.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums