Help! Folders & Rooted question

JCalderon24

Reaction score
Okay I am new here and I was hoping someone can help me - First - In the app drawer I want to know how to make folders (or if you can) - like can I put all my games into a "games folder" in the app drawer? And also - I hear people talking about a "rooted" droid and such - what does that mean?? Thank you!!! I've had this phone for about 3 weeks and I am STILL learning all it can do - AMAZING!!

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you can't make folders within the app drawer but you can long-press on a blank spot on one of your desktops and create a folder there. I have ones named games, tools, sysutils, maps, camera, and music.

to root your phone means to gain admin access to it. Once you have root powers you can change any file. Being able to change files means you can replace them. Folks have created roms which are all the files needed to run your phone...but with tweaks made. It might give you the ability to run the phone faster (overclock) or run apps you can't unrooted, such as wifi-tethering. you can modify the screens and get pretty deep into it all or just use other's work to update your phone.

There's also plenty of ways to modify your phone without rooting too. Poke around the forums here, read through the threads and ask questions like this one.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Okay I am new here and I was hoping someone can help me - First - In the app drawer I want to know how to make folders (or if you can) - like can I put all my games into a "games folder" in the app drawer? And also - I hear people talking about a "rooted" droid and such - what does that mean?? Thank you!!! I've had this phone for about 3 weeks and I am STILL learning all it can do - AMAZING!!

You cannot put folders into the app drawer. That is for your installed applications.

You can however, make a folder on one of your homescreens and add whatever you want to them.

Long press on the homescreen -> Click Folder -> New Folder. You click the folder and you can drag w/e you want into it.

As for rooting, there are many threads on what rooting is, but I'll give you a run down.

When you root your phone, you use special files to override the system default so that special rooted applications can access files they wouldn't normally be able to. It will allow you to do things with the phone the manufacturer didn't intend for you to do. You can install custom ROMs(themed and changed operating systems), special apps that take advantage of features that weren't allowed to us, etc. Be careful with rooting and read, read, then read some more about it.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score

You got some reading to do. There's a ton of information on this forum, and it'll take you awhile to assimilate it all.

1) With the stock home, you cant make folders in the app drawer, only on the home screen. There are some launcher replacements that will let you add folders, I think PandaHome is one of them.... Search for a replacement, I dont use any of them.

2) Rooting is the process of gaining superuser permissions. If you're unfamiliar with Linux/Unix, it wont make much sense, but basically, it's an exploit that allows you to get to capabilities and areas of the phone's operating system that are normally locked out for your protection (and other reasons). It's the Droid equivalent of jailbreaking, but with way cooler stuff.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
btw..welcome aboard. Look at that, your first question was answered 3 times within minutes. Can't beat that!

OP
J

JCalderon24

Reaction score
Thank you!!

I appreciate all the answers!!! Thank you! I kind of figured I wouldnt be able to add a folder to the app drawer but hey had to ask - and as for rooting - I think I will stay far far away from that! I hacked into my envtouch before and thought it would be cool to change anything I wanted and really messed my phone up - Not taking any chances with my Droid! I need to take a day to go through all the posts here - I'm going to learn a lot - Thanks again!!

nerdbox08

Reaction score