Help: E: Can't Mount SDCARD:update.zip

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Froyo, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Froyo

Froyo New Member

Trying to reroot my Droid running standard FRG22D after unrooting it a couple weeks ago. I flashed SPRecovery onto it, booted into SPRecovery, clicked allow update.zip installation...then when I go to Install /sdcard/update.zip (depreciated) I get this message:

E: Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0)
    (No such file or directory)
    E: Can't mount SDCARD.update.zip
    Installation aborted

I've rooted before and everything went smoothly. Any ideas what could be causing this? By the way, I did format my SD card after seeing this message, tried again, and getting the exact same thing.
  2. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

What update.zip are you trying to install? You are sure it's named update.zip not update.zip.zip?
  3. Froyo

Froyo New Member

Definately not making the update.zip.zip mistake. As far as what update.zip file, I don't know it's specifics. It's the update.zip Kellex posted on Droid-Life.com for rooting FRG22D. Not sure if I'm allowed to put a link in or not. It's on page 2 of his "Rooting" section though.

Edit: Here's something I'm not sure is relevant, however I found it strange. After I originally tried and got the aformentioned installation error, as I said, I completely reformatted my SD card. Then put put it in the droid and used it for a little bit before putting the update.zip back on to the card. What was surprising was that when I went to boot into recovery, I found I was back on the stock recovery, and not SPRecovery, which I thought went on your phone and had little to do with the actual SD card.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  4. Justbags

Justbags New Member

Did u ever solve this? I'm getting the exact same error. I've never rooted, but I know I'm not making a update.zip.zip file... I dont know what I am missing...
  5. Froyo

Froyo New Member

Nope. Now SPRecovery simply refuses to flash at all. I've tried probably ten times. RSD Lite says everything is good, but when I go to boot into recovery it's just the stock recovery.
  6. Justbags

Justbags New Member

I found a post on another website that was talking about the program being picky about the memory cards it was using. Luckily I just got my phone replaced so I had a spare 16gb stick. I swapped them out and it installed with no problems. The other memory card was not empty either, it had 3x as much on it, so its not picky about what is on it... So it has something to do with the card... Hope that helps u.
  7. Deronn

Deronn New Member

Ok, I don't have a fix, but I've got a "work around" that is working for me if you are ok moving to Clockwork Recovery. If you are on the stock recovery sounds like you will need to re-root first.

I had the same issue with SPRecovery. Tried everything (re-flash, re-root,etc.) The only thing that was working in the phone was an old 2GB card I had from a previous phone. 16GB that came with the Droid and a new 32GB bought from Verizon didn't work. Tried Clockwork recovery and phone would then just reboot out of recovery every time I got to the recovery screen.Thought I was stuck with just using the 2GB card until I found a thread somewhere (can't remember where) that talked about this and said there was a delay loading recovery or something like that that caused this problem. Solution they proposed was when you go to recovery and see it reboot, to hold x button as it reboots. You can't let the phone boot up or you'll have to go back and do it again.Once you are back in recovery (for the 2nd time) everything should work. You will be in recovery and be able to flash and access card. Has worked 100% of the time for me like this.
  8. markwebb

markwebb New Member

I have this occur on many occasions as well. What I usually do is go back and forth between SPRecovery or Clockwork and then it works. I know...pain. Another trick is that once it reboots, I let the phone sit for about 30 seconds before I allow update.zip.

This doesn't happen all of the time but when it does, it is quite frustrating. I keep at it until it works!

I even try powering down, pulling card and letting the phone sit for a few minutes and then re-seat and power up.

Again, no rhyme or reason, but after numerous attempts with numerous "options," it does finally work.
  9. Jboxen

Jboxen Premium Member Premium Member Developer

This is an SD card issue, the only fix will be get a new one or you can copy all of your files to your computer, then go ahead and format fat32 on your command prompt and then again on your phone. Then you can copy your files back to the card and see if it worked. Good luck.
  10. markwebb

markwebb New Member

Not quite sure about that. This issue has occurred on the original 16 GB card which came with my phone and a new 32GB Sandisk card sold by Verizon (not a cheap knockoff).

Again, it happens sporadically and only during the SPRecovery process. Otherwise, I can always access the card and retrieve/modify files when phone is booted.
  11. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

I also had problems with this and the 32GB from VZW...I dumped it and went back to my 16 with no problems
  12. Deronn

Deronn New Member

This is exactly what is happening with my phone.
Search tags for this page
/mnt/sdcard/update.zip
can t mount sdcard update zip
can't mount /mnt/sdcard/update.zip

can't mount /sdcard/update.zip

can't mount sdcard update zip

can't mount sdcard update zip installation aborted

can't mount sdcard update.zip

cannot mount sdcard update zip
e can't mount /sdcard

e can't mount sdcard update zip

mnt sdcard update zip