HELP!! Droid x won't boot past the droid logo

jjj751

Reaction score
I'm afraid I majorly screwed up my droid. So i was trying to change the color of the status bar so I put some files into the root of my sd then I opened up terminal and followed the instructions that were given to me. Half way through my droid restarted itself and it got passed the motorola logo. But when it got to the "droid" logo before the red eye, it just froze with the droid word halfway finished. Then it would disappear and come back and disappear and come back. After awhhile the droid wording dissappeared and it just stays as a black screen. I tried a factory reset by holding the power button and the home button but when I restarted it did the same thing again. What shld I do?

jsw6380a

Reaction score
Ok.. Deep breath.. I need a little more info... Is the phone hacked? STock ROM? Rooted? Do you have a backup? We can help with a little more info..

jsw6380a

Reaction score
Pressing just power and home and rebooting won't do anything by the way... Just give me the information above and we can help you through it.. It doesn't sound that bad so far..

jellybean420

Reaction score
I'm afraid I majorly screwed up my droid. So i was trying to change the color of the status bar so I put some files into the root of my sd then I opened up terminal and followed the instructions that were given to me. Half way through my droid restarted itself and it got passed the motorola logo. But when it got to the "droid" logo before the red eye, it just froze with the droid word halfway finished. Then it would disappear and come back and disappear and come back. After awhhile the droid wording dissappeared and it just stays as a black screen. I tried a factory reset by holding the power button and the home button but when I restarted it did the same thing again. What shld I do?

Me personally I would download the 2.3.340 system sbf (google it I can't post a link) and sbf that puppy back to new again. But make sure you got some battery left. That's the road I take. Now if you can boostrap into recovery (assuming its rooted) you can restore a backup of when everything worked. Finally if you have no idea what any of that meant I suggest not messing with things beyond your abillities. Hope that helps.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

jsw6380a

Reaction score
I don't know how quick I would jump to SBF... He hasn't even done a factory reset based on his post... I am hoping he has bootstrapper! hahahaha... That will solve a lot of problems..

jsw6380a

Reaction score
Guess he/she must have resolved the issue...:icon_ banana:

OP
J

jjj751

Reaction score
Ok.. Deep breath.. I need a little more info... Is the phone hacked? STock ROM? Rooted? Do you have a backup? We can help with a little more info..

Sorry for the late reply guys. Thanks for the quick replys. The phone is rooted without any custom roms. And no i do not have a backup.

OP
J

jjj751

Reaction score

Me personally I would download the 2.3.340 system sbf (google it I can't post a link) and sbf that puppy back to new again. But make sure you got some battery left. That's the road I take. Now if you can boostrap into recovery (assuming its rooted) you can restore a backup of when everything worked. Finally if you have no idea what any of that meant I suggest not messing with things beyond your abillities. Hope that helps.

How exactly do you bootstrap to recovery? I don't know how to sbf it but Im sure it can't be that hard. There's gotta be instructions.

jsw6380a

Reaction score
You will need to try this... Power the phone off... Then hold the power and home button down together until a triangle pops up... Then hit the search key... hit wipe data/factory reset. Then Wipe cache... Reboot the phone and let me know what happens..

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Can you boot into recovery mode, I'm assuming you have CWM (clockwork recovery) installed. If you can try clearing cache then reboot the phone. If that doesn't work your gonna have to sbf back to stock. To do that your going to have to download a program called RSDlite to your computer (make sure you get at least ver. 4.8). Next you will need the latest Motorola drivers downloaded to your computer too. Next you will have to download the 2.3.20 full sbf file and the 2.3.40 system only file.

Using RSDlite you will flash the 2.3.20 full sbf file, then the 2.3.40 system only file. That will fix any issues your having.

jsw6380a

Reaction score
Can you boot into recovery mode, I'm assuming you have CWM (clockwork recovery) installed. If you can try clearing cache then reboot the phone. If that doesn't work your gonna have to sbf back to stock. To do that your going to have to download a program called RSDlite to your computer (make sure you get at least ver. 4.8). Next you will need the latest Motorola drivers downloaded to your computer too. Next you will have to download the 2.3.20 full sbf file and the 2.3.40 system only file.

Using RSDlite you will flash the 2.3.20 full sbf file, then the 2.3.40 system only file. That will fix any issues your having.

He doesn't have that... Im just trying to get him into stock recovery to try and wipe to see if that works.... If not he is going to have to sbf..

XDRDX

Reaction score
Just go get the SBF but turn off your phone! If the battery is less then 50% you went be able to do it! That is your safest bet!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
J

jjj751

Reaction score
You will need to try this... Power the phone off... Then hold the power and home button down together until a triangle pops up... Then hit the search key... hit wipe data/factory reset. Then Wipe cache... Reboot the phone and let me know what happens..

I already did that but it still doesn't work

jsw6380a

Reaction score
Everyone is so quick to SBF... He could screw his phone royally... He already admitted he has no idea what SBF is...

I have told people the same steps I told him over and over... Sometimes it works.... Sometimes it doesn't... But jumping right to sbf IMO is premature...

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Since wiping data and cache didn't work...

I say sbf back to stock, reroot, get the dx bootstrap app from the market. Open the bootstrap app and hit bootstrap recovery, after you get the "success" message boot into recovery and make a backup in the backup and restore menu. That way you can try to install custom ROMs or colors to your hearts content and have the ability to restore back to stock.

Make sure to read all the instructions on rsdlite & sbf first!