Help! Droid X not recognizing AAC files

moose3285

Reaction score
I've been trying to transfer my music files to my Droid but it's not recognizing any of the AAC files. Some of my files are mp3s and it's recognizing those but most of my files are AAC files on iTunes that I ripped from CDs. My files don't appear to be DRM protected. Can anybody help? Thanks!

woosung

Reaction score
Hey! Yeah same problem here. I buy all my music off itunes and now im stuck with all these AAC files. Well you have to convert them to another format so the Droid x can read it. I'm actually converting my music right now to Mp3. i am currently using this free converter ill put link at the bottom. It's really fast converter too!

Free M4a to MP3 Converter

hope it helps

richpjr

Reaction score
I have both ACC files I ripped myself as well as some I bought off of iTunes and they all play flawless on my X. I'm not sure about older, DRM ACC files, but things should work. When you say not recognizing, do you mean it doesn't see them or won't play them?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
DRM AAC files will not play. That's probably the issue.

jeffc103193

Reaction score
Just did this last night making a ringtone :)!!! To convert AAC to MP3 for free (in iTunes):

1. iTunes -> Preferences -> Input Method -> Select "MP3 Encoder"
2. Hit "OK"
3. Right-click your AAC file in iTunes.
4. Click "Convert to MP3"

Voila :)! Hope this helps!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
People discussions about removing DRM from a AAC file are not permitted in the Droid Forum. Thank you for cooperating.

duffyanneal

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't even think about talking about stripping the DRM as a no no. My bad. One thing you can do is convert all of the DRM'd music to iTunes +. It essentially converts the music to a higher bit rate and removes the DRM. It's $.30 a song and you do it from iTunes. I alluded to it in my now deleted post, but didn't elaborate. I had 1000 songs and it would have cost me over $300 to convert. iTunes + can be pricey, but it's pretty straight forward process.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't even think about talking about stripping the DRM as a no no. My bad. One thing you can do is convert all of the DRM'd music to iTunes +. It essentially converts the music to a higher bit rate and removes the DRM. It's $.30 a song and you do it from iTunes. I alluded to it in my now deleted post, but didn't elaborate. I had 1000 songs and it would have cost me over $300 to convert. iTunes + can be pricey, but it's pretty straight forward process.

Yep that would be the legal way to do it. I will admit I was no saint. But I got to enforce the rules of the forum.

If any of you do turn your AAC files into MP3 (I did for a different reason) there is a great program called dupe it that's like 15.00 that will find all your duplicates for you and save you a lot of hassle. Because when it turns it into an MP3 file the AAC file does not go away. I got over 10 days of music on my iTunes it would take me forever to do it by hand.

richpjr

Reaction score
Just remember that converting a lossy format like ACC into another lossy format like MP3 will result in a loss in quality. Whether you even notice it or it is massively unacceptable - well, that depends on how much of an audiophile you are!

lkariher

Reaction score
Question about the DRM AAC

Yes I saw that I had protected and purchased AAC files, will updrading to DRM allow me to play on the droid X. The title was kind of confusing, "Upgrade to DRM-free music in our highest quality format." Not sure if this means that it's removing or adding drm just any thoughts on what you can and cannot play.