HELP!droid wifi intermittent video problems but not on ipod??

bnrusso

Reaction score
I have a Verizon Motorola Droid (5mp camera) running android 2.2 (thanks to DroidForum's instructions).
I use it only like an i-pod as I have no phone service (too expensive).
I also have 2 Apple Ipods. 1 2nd gen (no speakers) and 1 3rd gen (bluetooth and speakers).
I normally run the droid in airplane mode on my wireless home wifi network along with the 2 ipods. I have also tried it with airplane mode off too.

PROBLEM: using youtube as an example to watch videos I get constant "network errors" and "attention Timed out" video cannot be played" (AFTER it STARTS!) displayed with the droid but NOT with the i-pods.
Sometimes I have to start the video 5 or 6 times to get it to start playing and sometimes when it is playing the video it stops and gives me this text box that after a looooooooong pause just says " a network error has occurred" and I have to try all over again.
The exact same videos play smooth and fine with the i-pods.

My network is 6Meg download cable thru a Motorola SB5101 cable modem running thru a Netgear wireless -n router in wpa2 aes security.

any ideas????

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Try killing the encryption and see if it gets better. Also, a factory reset might be in order (unless you're rooted) to clear out the crap that's built up. Make sure the router is running the latest firmware, too.

OP
B

bnrusso

Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt response.
I tried the factory reset and it looks like it worked.
(settings, privacy, factory data reset)
Just watched a video with no breaks or errors.
Guess I'll have to watch what I bring in from the market.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Actually, it's often a case of your Dalvik cache getting clogged. I think the app cachemate from the market will clean it out, but I don't know if it'll work for non-rooted users. Once the Dalvik gets gummed up the only other way (assuming it DOES work) for stock users to clear it out is to do a hard reset. Also, a hard reset (factory reset) cleans out EVERYTHING, so it's not a bad idea to do once in a while on a stock phone. Rooted users don't have to; they get other tools to do it.