Help, Droid rebooted itself automatically!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by thinkmega, Jul 13, 2010.

1. thinkmega

thinkmega Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just caught it. It was in front of me on the desk and it rebooted itself automatically. About half an hour ago I check the battery it was 70% capacity. This is very shocking and disappointing!

I flash it to 2.2/root about a week ago. I use P3D-FRF83B-Release and everything has been running fine. Battery usage in the last two days has been a little faster than I expected, even during the quiet use time.

What might have caused this problem? I definitely think this is A problem. I am reluctant to rollback to stock but I dont know if this auto reboot meant a bigger problem.

Please share your insights!

2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I do not know what may have caused the reboot. Options to try--

1. If you recently install a new app or task killer remove especially the task killer. If you do not have additional reboots then install one app at time wait a day and see if you issue goes away.
    2. If you are OC'd move to a slower speed.
    3. Install a different rom. Each phone seems to work differently and each rom works
    differently.

Hope this helps. Please let us know how you resolve.

Mike

3. thinkmega

thinkmega Member

Ratings:
    +0
    None of those applied. I was running the most conventional stuffs, yahoo mail, gmail, news and weather, newsrob, google finance, and twitter.

Was this kind of problem reported before? I plan to rebuild the entire thing:
    1. wipe out the sd;
    2. wipe out the cache;
    3. back to 2.0.1 -> 2.1, no market app installed;
    4. apply the right build (what should I try?);
    5. nandroid backup as the baseline;
    6. install all apps;
    7. nandroid backup as the working copy;

I'd like p3d-frf84b-release because both usb and wifi tethering are working well. Any recommendation on the ROM?

thanks!

4. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you overclock, because this can be a big contributor to reboots. It also just could be the froyo leak your on. Its a leak, so it could have some problems.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. thinkmega

thinkmega Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, I run whatever the P3D-frf84b-release offers, I think it is @600. ? And the case is not really particularly warm. Battery ran out fast yesterday for no apparent reason (I wasn't using it a lot).

6. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Ratings:
    +11
    I too was having some of the issues you are describing when trying to run a custom kernel on my roms. What I found is that its the kernel causing the conflict (at least for me). I would suggest you re-flash whatever rom you are using and do not install a custom kernel, use the stock kernel that comes with your rom. See if that works, it did for me.

7. thinkmega

thinkmega Member

Ratings:
    +0
    stock kernel? how can i tell what is stock and what's custom? sorry for the ignorance. i really need some more info about this.

thanks.

8. ebe3692

ebe3692 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    mine randomly rebooted yesterday too. it was just sitting there on the floor and I just happened to look over noticed the droid eye bootup animation running...
    I wasnt low on battery and it didnt seem hot.
    I flashed the stock FRF84 (w/600mHz kernel) last week - this is the first time I've noticed it reboot randomly.
    I'm waiting to see if it happens again....

9. thinkmega

thinkmega Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine was from here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/55467-even-more-froyo.html#post591676. I believe it runs at 600mHz too. Anyway, is this considered a stock kernel or custom? I thought everything with 2.2 is custom as the official one hasn't been released. ?

I can reflash it with anything else no problem. The problem is ... it rebooted itself once. Is this a random act or an acute problem?

Any thoughts?

10. baxtelf

baxtelf New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine just started rebooting over and over. I can't stop it. I even pulled the battery and when you turn it back on it starts the cycle again. Any ideas?

11. thinkmega

thinkmega Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I installed a different ROM. Hopefully the reboot problem is behind me. You should try something else if the problem is not under control.

Search tags for this page

why a cell phone reboots by it self