Help! Droid 3 potential buyer?

ajgates92

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I just have a couple questions and I hope someone can help me out! I am currently a college student, and of course funds are tight. However, I just got a new job managing a pizza place and I want to upgrade phones. I currently have the LG Optimus V from Virgin Mobile but I saw the Droid 3 and I am really keen on it. I have never been on my own plan before (always on parents, except for prepaid VM) and so I am kind of skeptical on getting this phone. I LOVE android and I just wanted to know the Biggest pros and cons of the phone, along with Verizon's contracts. I would be getting 450 minutes, unlimited text, and 2gb of data. Would 2gb be enough? I use my phone everywhere, but I don't stream movies or music at all or barely. I check facebook, email, google +, and twitter frequently throughout the day. I have read that Verizon loves to give big charges when you go over limits, so I definitely do not want to do that. Is being stuck in a 2 year contract with Verizon worth the Droid 3, or is there another phone I should be looking at instead? I just don't want to dive head first into a contract without doing at least a little research. Thank you in advance and I hope to see y'all around!

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Well a lot of good things have been said about the Droid 3. If you are a heavy data user, then 2gb is not enough. I myself use up at the most 10gb. However there are rumored phones coming up that will be better, for example the HTC Vigor. No release date on it yet, but its coming. If you want to get one right now, the Droid 3 is probably the best option unless you want a 4gLTE device. For that, wait for the Droid Bionic since its Verizon's next flagship phone. Its pretty much a Droid 3 spec-wise but lacks the physical keayboard and with the addition of 4gLTE. Droid 3 is not 4gLTE.

Sent from my DROID 3 directly to YOU!

Last edited:

militant

Reaction score
If you can access wifi for any substantial portion of your days, you'll be fine with 2gbs. You'll still probably be fine without it since you don't do streaming. The first month might be a bit tighter than normal as you get the phone setup and download apps. I downloaded about 100 or so apps/widgets, downloaded tons of roms for emulators, and check my fb/email/g+ frequently as well, and I used JUST over 2gb my first month with the D3, and I used wifi less than 50% of the time at home. I've been using it more and more though, this month I'm over a week into and I'm only at 200mb used. FWIW, I have unlimited data and so I don't really pay attention to it for other than statistical purposes.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
If you can access wifi for any substantial portion of your days, you'll be fine with 2gbs. You'll still probably be fine without it since you don't do streaming. The first month might be a bit tighter than normal as you get the phone setup and download apps. I downloaded about 100 or so apps/widgets, downloaded tons of roms for emulators, and check my fb/email/g+ frequently as well, and I used JUST over 2gb my first month with the D3, and I used wifi less than 50% of the time at home. I've been using it more and more though, this month I'm over a week into and I'm only at 200mb used. FWIW, I have unlimited data and so I don't really pay attention to it for other than statistical purposes.

Yea. It sucks for new customers that get stuck with tiered data.

OP
A

ajgates92

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it. I am bummed that Verizon decided to do away with the unlimited data..I like feeling safe with unlimited. As for 4gLTE, is that just 4G? I heard that 4G is kind of like wifi, and only certain areas pick it up? And as for the bionic I heard it keeps getting pushed back, and I definitely want to get on this as soon as I can, hopefully so I don't have to be on another month of my phone now.

Also another quick question, how is customer service? No offense to anyone, but I really do not like talking to someone that speaks broken English, even though it seems it is hard to find companies who haven't outsourced their customer service. :/
Thanks again for the replies.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it. I am bummed that Verizon decided to do away with the unlimited data..I like feeling safe with unlimited. As for 4gLTE, is that just 4G? I heard that 4G is kind of like wifi, and only certain areas pick it up? And as for the bionic I heard it keeps getting pushed back, and I definitely want to get on this as soon as I can, hopefully so I don't have to be on another month of my phone now.

Also another quick question, how is customer service? No offense to anyone, but I really do not like talking to someone that speaks broken English, even though it seems it is hard to find companies who haven't outsourced their customer service. :/
Thanks again for the replies.

There's a difference between 4g and Verizons 4gLTE. Verizon has REAL 4g. And I would first check if your area has 4g as it is not countrywide yet. The Bionic, as of now, is rumored to be released on September 8th. And as for customer service, I haven't had any problems with "broken english" representatives.

OP
A

ajgates92

Reaction score
Thank you Malvado for your quick replies. I did just research a little on 4gLTE vs other 4g carries and Verizon definitely has a leg up on the competition. I think I will be picking up my droid 3 very soon rather than a 4g phone, just because I go off sprint towers where it's hard to get service anywhere.... Thanks again for your very helpful answers.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
You are welcome and I hope you enjoy your Droid 3 once you get it.