Help convince me not to by a Galaxy Nexus...

diablo81588

Reaction score
Nexus owners are reporting the jelly bean radios fix this issue. Nexus is already on ics, jelly bean soon to come, unlockable boot loader, jb rooms already out... don't know if I can agree that the bionic is superior.

Nexus owners report its magically fixed every time they get a hold of a new update. When in fact, its a poor hardware design causing the issues.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would buy a razr maxx or maxx hd and get a nexus 7 for play.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bhp117

Reaction score
Really depends how much you pay for the gnex
If you still have to pay $300+ i would rather spend an extra $100 - $200 for a s3 only if you can pay for that difference that is much better device
Since that'll be around $500 you can spend on a phone you can also look at the razr m dev edition if you want an unlock bootloader device
Or wait for the razr hd

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nexus owners report its magically fixed every time they get a hold of a new update. When in fact, its a poor hardware design causing the issues.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Perhaps you should own the phone and try the JB radios before coming to such a brash conclusion. Every radio update has improved handoffs and signal drops, but not until the JB radios have I had a truly reliable 4G connection. I used to drop all signal while connected to LTE at least twice an hour. Now on the JB radios, not a single drop.

I think its great that you like your Bionic but I would appreciate it if you wouldn't come to such bold conclusions without owning the device and having tried the new radios yourself.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

nitephlight

Reaction score
Yea I'm running the 2233 leak at the moment. I know it is not the most up to date but it is running fine and didn't see a need to flash any of the newer ones. Figure when the OTA comes out it would be that much better.

Just get bored at times and wouldn't mind getting a new phone to learn and play with.

i own both bionic and gnex CDMA, and truthfully the bionic's current 4G radio is far superior to even the JB radio for gnex IMO. could be geography, but im in central jersey with a STRONG 4G signal almost every where I go, the gnex was typically weaker.. consistent yes but areas i know my bionic got full 4 bars the gnex would struggle to maintain 3.

that being said: if your bored, the gnex is the ultimate flash toy lol. i basically use my bionic to tether the gnex and use both. you can get a gnex on craigs/ebay for under 300 its not a bad price for a nexus device.

timmy10shoes

Reaction score
No matter how much the radio's improve in any of the gnex updates including jb, they could never compare with motorola's radio quality. The build quality of motorola's are superior to any other devices. If your main concern is flashing tons of roms and kernels that are minimally different at best go with gnex. If you want a phone that truly works as a phone first and still has great specs but limited roms (But still has some) The bionic is the way to go.

OP
P

penman

Reaction score
i own both bionic and gnex CDMA, and truthfully the bionic's current 4G radio is far superior to even the JB radio for gnex IMO. could be geography, but im in central jersey with a STRONG 4G signal almost every where I go, the gnex was typically weaker.. consistent yes but areas i know my bionic got full 4 bars the gnex would struggle to maintain 3.

that being said: if your bored, the gnex is the ultimate flash toy lol. i basically use my bionic to tether the gnex and use both. you can get a gnex on craigs/ebay for under 300 its not a bad price for a nexus device.

I've seen some on craigs for about 160 but I think I'd def get it if the price was either between 100 to 150. The less I pay the less the girlfriend will yell at me for spending money on a "pointless object".

If I do want to use the gnex as my primary how would that work exactly? Doesn't it use a mini sim or something like that? Also would that change my unlimited data?

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Yes and no, if you use drop box you can set it up to automatically back up your photos there along with other files, and for a free account you get 5gb of cloud storage. So to retrieve any deleted item all you have to do is access drop box...

Or, you can just have all of your photos automatically upload to Picasa right after they are taken.
Simple and you stay within the Google ecosystem.

Lil4cyl

Reaction score
If its just a gf and not a wife, tell her its your money and you spend what you want on whatever you want. :)

sk102704

Reaction score
It all depends on how much you can get the Gnex for. Unless you can get it for cheap I'd hold off. Don't forget, the Gnex is almost a year old and before long a new Nexus (or a few) will be coming out and when it does your going to want that one. The Gnex is not a significant improvement (or decline in some opinions) over the Bionic but the next Nexus will be over both.

I would take the money you would spend on the Gnex and put it toward the next Nexus.

Bfp

Reaction score
My buddy has one and he is going on his third phone in 8 weeks, keeps dropping calls and texts, and 1 of them when you talked on it your voice was all garbled up couldnt understand him and he only gets about 3 hours out of the battery.

OP
P

penman

Reaction score
I ended up picking a Nexus for $100....only used a month came with an otter box and screen protectors and yea....Now I just need to go to Verizon and get a new sim for it...Is it a big deal going from the Bionic to the Nexus sim wise? Like do they have to activate it or can I buy it and activate it when I'm ready?

CD95YJ

Reaction score
The nexus uses a micro-sim card (smaller) so you will have to go to Verizon for a new Sim. As far as differences, android is android, you just have to get use to the little differences like the menu button being 3 dots located in different spots on the screen. Oh and we just got jelly bean, my old bionic was still waiting on ICS. Guessing that hasn't changed.