HELP! Clockwork "MD5 mismatch" in recovery...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by icculusX, Mar 29, 2010.

1. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

HELP! So i was in a rushed situation. I made a clockwork recovery in ROM Manager to be safe (didn't pay off tho?!). I have the latest UD rom and applied a theme using it as a update.zip (later noticing that it should be used as a MM for my ROM) - however everyhting looked as if it installed out ok but the phone gets stuck on the motorola symbol. I tried reboots, same deal. Now, just incase this would happen I made my recovery BUT now everytime I try to clockwork back to that recovery it says "MD5 mismatch" - my older backups work fine, but not the one I just made? WTF?

I tried many times. Tried clearing cache. I tried restoring to an older state, then flashing the clockwork restore... still "MD5 mismatch" shows up. So annoying.

I mean, I NEVER had any issues with SP nandroid recoveries so why is clockwork killing me now? And let's just say I have done A LOT of customizing and editing between my latest recovery that works and now... so I would rather not have to do all that again... help.:icon_eek:
  2. nphil

nphil New Member

just go to a previous backup, extract whatever system apps you made changes to from your new backup (the one you have a md5 mismatch on) and push back to phone.

I had posted a simple command line app that can extract files from clockwork .img backups btw.
  3. icculusX

Darn, wish there was an instant workaround... well thanks man, will do.

So does that mean that ClockWork is kinda lame-o in comparison to SP nandroid for recoveries... cause i mean whats the use of making a backup if it might not work?
  4. nphil

nphil New Member

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  5. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

i have had the same problem with mine. i have switched back to Nandroid i get the md5 all the time i have emailed dev twice no response it was a wasted donation IMHO.. he had no problem pulling money out of my account right away but getting a response via email no so much luck.. o well nandroid then update zip
  6. icculusX

Hah, man. So basically if I want to use SPNandroid and still use the ROM Manager, Im going to have to push my SP Recovery IMG file every time to get rid of Clockwork, just to to boot and do a recovery. Ahh
  7. devinhfox

devinhfox New Member

Just happened to me this morning.
    Tried to restore an image with Rom Manager, and it indicates 'md5 sum error'.
    Very annoying, as I just made the backup last night.
    It's not like I could have done anything wrong, I've done this 20 times before without a hitch.
    I udated to Rom Manager Premium yesterday, but thinking about getting my refund.
  8. ninegoodthings

ninegoodthings New Member

Yep, something seriously screwy with MD5 on Clockwork Recovery.

I just backed up and then tried to restore from within same Boot session (about 15 seconds after I made the backup), and still got an MD5 error.

Of course, SPRecovery works fine...
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  9. skennelly

skennelly Active Member

I have the same problem only a little worse. I am not that experienced and I have one and only one backup and it is the one giving me the error.

Am I effed or can someone help me? PLEASE
  10. challer2000

challer2000 New Member

I'm in the same boat. Installed Rubix wanted to try another rom and all 5 of my backups I get this error... oops just seen where is posted this, and mine is a Droid X

Edit: My problem was with Rom Manager. After removing and booting with bootstrap all backups work.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  11. Whitefalcon684

Whitefalcon684 New Member

Sorry if i'm being redundant but i am kind of a n00b at the whole rooting thing...but i installed the ApeX 1.3 rom and after trying it out i want to go back to the original layout and everything...prior to installing ApeX i did make a backup in Bootstrap but now when i try to recover i get the MD5 invalid error... is there a sure fix to this?
  12. skennelly

skennelly Active Member

make sure there are no spaces in your backup file name. Same thing happened to me and I replaced "spaces" with "_". That fixed it for me.
  13. Whitefalcon684

Haha i didnt even think of that...but their were spaces because i renamed them while following a guide...haha thank you :) i'll let you know if this works
  14. skennelly

skennelly Active Member

I panicked when that happened to me. it was my only backup and my phone wouldn't boot past the m logo.
  15. Whitefalcon684

haha yeah thats what i did...well i mean i had it with ApeX but it just worried that i couldnt go back to how it was before lol thats all :p
  16. Whitefalcon684

Hey I just did that and it fixed e erything thanks :)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  17. twalbaum

twalbaum New Member

So I just encountered this same problem. I made a backup of my stock system, then I tried Apex, liked it, made a back up, and wanted to try another flavor. Tried Rumm with the Infected font style (can't hardly read it and it has NO special characters. To sign in with my gmail account I had to make a text file on my sd card with my email address with the @ sign in it so I could copy/paste it into the sign in field so I could go to marketplace and get rom manager so I could get rid of that ROM *breath*). I tried to restore a back up and got the md5 mismatch. Found this thread, tried uninstalling rom manager and booted into recovery through bootstrap, still got the error. Also, my backup names were "Stock" so it had no spaces and still didn't work. The other had spaces, so I renamed it with no spaces and it still didnt work. Any help?
  18. TheBungle

TheBungle New Member

bump.

I have the dang md5 and cant figure it out. I can boot into a save from november but I had a lot of stuff on it since then that I really want back.
    HALP!
  19. crz6662

crz6662 New Member

Try this, PDF inside. From XDA Developers. Had the same problem with mismatch.
  20. bclown90

bclown90 New Member

Same issue

Hey, so I've been having similiar issues.

I made a backup using clockworkmod, reflashed a new ROM, decided I didn't like it, and tried to go back to the old one, and am now getting a MD5 mismatch.

I used the XDA link posted above to fix the mismatch, had to recalculate the checksums, and my backup began to restore, but now freezes on the data portion at eng-us.cab. I've tried multiple times and it still is not working. Finally I just said screw it and restored to an old (OLD) backup that did work, reflashed my phone, and am now putting back on the same ROM I had before, ApeX, although in version 1.4.

I really want to be able to get the data from my old backup, because I really don't want to have to reconfigure\reinstall\remember everything I had put on it before. If anybody has any suggestions, either how to restore my old backup or just get the data over, that'd be great.

Thanks

By the way, thanks to everyone who posted above, I got a lot of good information that allowed me to get this far, your work is appreciated :)
Search tags for this page
4ext recovery md5 mismatch
android rom manager md5 mismatch
backup restore md5 mismatch issue
clockwork recovery md5 mismatch
dm5 mismatch

md5 mismatch

md5 mismatch android recovery
md5 sum mismatch
md5 sums mismatch
rom manager md5 mismatch
rom manager restore md5 mismatch