Help! Cant Transfer Files from computer to Droid.

Reaction score
So I'm having a problem with transferring files from the computer to the Droid when plugging it into the computer. I can never get mine to work. The "USB Connected" notification comes up, I click on it, and then press "Turn On USB Storage" when the screen comes up. It acts like its working, but never actually does it. I dont get any errors or anything....it just goes back to to the screen with "Turn On USB Storage" on it. Anyone know why this might be? Weirdly, sometimes it does work, but 99% of the time it doesnt.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know how to tell you how to fix that issue, but for 1.10 you can purchase Wifi File Explorer pro. You do need WiFi for this to work but what it will do is give you a URL to type into your web address bar and then you can access your SD card. You can ad files, delete files, everything you can do just like you were mounted. May come in handy for you if you are having USB connection issues.

OP
captaincanada84
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably check that out, especially if nobody else knows how to fix what's going on. Could re-installing my ROM help perhaps?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What I would do is uninstall the ROM and see if the ROM is causing the issue. Just run 2.2 on your phone as your ROM. Then you would know. If you need a rooted copy of 2.2 let me know, I think I can dig one up somewheres.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Good advice. Backup what you have, install stock or any other rom and see if you are all set.

You also should be able to connect to your computer by mounting the card from the recovery screen to so I'd try that first before you even make a fresh backup.

OP
captaincanada84
Reaction score
So mounting USB Storage through Clockwork Recovery worked like a charm. I guess thats how I'll do it for now on.

eg146

Reaction score
File Transfer Not Working Droid 2

I am having the exact same issue as desribed. I had the Moto Connect software but that auto synced 2000 photos to the Droid so I removed Moto!

But now I am completly unable to open the phones files in USB or PC mode??

I can't transfer anything. The solutions mentioned seem to be for those who can root their phone, am I correct assuming that??

What about people like me who need it very simple? What is the best way for us to transfer some simple files?

Don't know if it matters but I have Verizon, not sure if they blocked access or the phone did.

Thank you!

Sam Hobbs

Reaction score
I am quite new to Droid and I am confused about what works and does not work. Today I changed the USB connection from "USB Mass Storage" to "PC Mode" and I was surprised with a window with many features. It provides access to a few features from the phone, such as text messages. It also can transfer files. I think it is worth looking at.

eg146

Reaction score
I have played around with USB Mass Storage and PC Mode as well but I can't open the phones files in either mode.

When I connect the phone and select PC Mode, I then go to Computer and I see the Droid plugged in but files don't open when I click them. Plus there are only 4 folders, two of them Moto something which are notepad files and the other 2 don't open at all. Those two are text files. Some sort of agreement. I've seen You Tube videos of people opening a screen with tons of folders but that's not an option for me.

I did have Moto Connect on the PC, it starts to install when you attempt to open a folder on the phone. I've uninstalled it twice but the phone wont show any files until that program is on the PC. I have a Droid 2, not sure if its the same on all Android phones but it's absolutely ridiculous that I can't backup my data on my computer and not via Gmail which doesn't work for anything except contacts.

Very frustrating. Will be happy in 14 months when my contract is over and I can get rid of this phone to go back to Blackberry. It's better for people like me who don't have time to learn how to program a computer!