Help!! Can't get 2.2. update, frozen M logo

DDRiot

Reaction score
I'm sort of newbie... well, the last night I received the update for the Motorola Droid 2.2 update, so I selected "update now" and the phone shut off, and the Motorola logo, the "M" came on and I left the phone on that screen for 3 hours, thinking it was a long update, after a while I decided to do a battery pull since it was taking forever. After the battery pull, I notice the phone wasn't updated, so I decided to install the update manually. When I turned off my phone, I held the "x" key and power button to do the recovery mode, it froze at the "M" logo again. I restarted my phone and everything ran normally again... I tried recovery mode a few times but it keeps freezing at the logo. Last thing I tried was a factory reset, once again, it froze at the logo, I waited another 3 hours and nothing... I had this Droid since Jan. 31st, and the previous updates worked... so any ideas?

brianstaton

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing

I installed the update ota a couple days ago, progress bar went across and phone restarted to motorola logo. after doing battery pull numerous times and even trying to do a factory restore the phone still gets stuck at the motorola logo. Worse even, while waiting for the update to finish (I though it being stuck at the Motorola Logo was just it taking a while to update) the phone's battery died and now the battery won't charge. I can plug it up and no charging lights either. Took it to the verizon store nearby and the lady there took a look at it and and after doing everything she said the update had killed it (i'm guessing that's what is referred to as being bricked???) and they are going to ship me a replacement. Sucks though, they could have handed me a new one there but were outta stock. Hope yours gets to working but if not that may be the route for you too. Once I get my new phone I don't know if I'll even try to update. 2.2 Sounds awesome especially with flash, but if 2.1 is working...

tc8266

Reaction score
same here

I had the same thing happen. Prompted for the update->frozen M. Verizon store had to order me a new one and said it crashed during the install. I've had mine since November so I wonder if it's going to do this on most older phones.

OP
D

DDRiot

Reaction score
hmm... well

I guess I have no choice but to take the phone to Verizon, haha, getting a new phone would be okay for me. I have everything backed up so it doesn't matter, I just hope they do something better for the 2.2 update or future updates

fastpat

Reaction score
Well, got the notification and request to upgrade the firmware and now I have a non-functioning phone.

I have the flashing M logo. I've done battery removal three times now, no change.

Yet, my wife did the upgrade and hers is fine. Go figure.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Wow.....just to ask, did any of you guys have a low battery when you started the update? And by low I mean less that 50%

fastpat

Reaction score
My battery was full, in fact it was on the charger base just before I picked it up and received the upgrade notice.

I made the trip to the Verizon store and received the official noticed, my Droid was bricked. They're going to deliver my new phone tomorrow (I paid the expedited charge of $9.00 to get it quicker).

The bad news, according to the tech guy at the store I'll likely have to do the upgrade when I get the "new" refurbished phone. I did offer to kick them $50.00 for a swap for a new Droid 2, but got a no-go for that.

agapeins

Reaction score
2.2 update - killed my phone

Yep. I had the same problem. They had to ship me out another one today. It's the pits!!! And .... my phone was fully charged.

fastpat

Reaction score
The replacement phone arrived today and within 15 minutes I received the upgrade notification which I selected to download. It went well and the 2.2 upgrade was finished in about 10 minutes or so.

Seems to be humming along.

soba525

Reaction score
ARRRRRGH! Froyo System Update Killed My Droid!

I am so frustrated!

The new 2.2 system update froze my Droid (purchased last Fall) on the Motorola "M."

:icon_evil:

OP
D

DDRiot

Reaction score
New Phone

Well, I got a replacement phone, i took my phone to Verizon, they called tech support person for me over the phone, i told them that i couldn't do the update and the phone wasnt rebooting, that it froze at the "M" logo. That person asked if i added any unauthorized apps, which i didnt, then he said i must of wiped something off the phone so it wont restart... i never rooted or anything, so i doubt that. Well, my phone came in the day after and the update came and its running smooth now, no problem with the update... I'm wondering if its something with the older phones...

fastpat

Reaction score
Well, I got a replacement phone, i took my phone to Verizon, they called tech support person for me over the phone, i told them that i couldn't do the update and the phone wasnt rebooting, that it froze at the "M" logo. That person asked if i added any unauthorized apps, which i didnt, then he said i must of wiped something off the phone so it wont restart... i never rooted or anything, so i doubt that. Well, my phone came in the day after and the update came and its running smooth now, no problem with the update... I'm wondering if its something with the older phones...
That's possible I suppose. I purchased mine in March, don't know if that qualifies as old or not, but it bricked on 2.2 big time. They didn't argue at all, I had no stuff on the phone not purchased through the market via the phone, and not many of those.

bb0bbby

Reaction score
Tried to update this morning after a full charge & frozen...tried all the above mentioned. My phone came from asurion (insurance) after someone had stolen my original...p!ss poor :icon_evil:

bb0bbby

Reaction score
If u recieve a bad update just use rsdlite to flash 2.01, then manually install 2.1 and 2.2

I did this & it says 'please manually power up this phone' under status but it is still stuck with the 'M' after the progress has reached 100%...