Help! Can't boot recovery!

havens1515

Reaction score
OK, so here's the deal:

I loaded Gingerbread, decided I wanted to go back to Liberty. Wiped data/cache, loaded backup for Liberty. It wouldn't load, it stayed at the white Motorola symbol, never even got to the boot animation.

Booted into recovery, tried to follow instructions to sbf, loaded "Droid 2 (2.3.20) Odexed Update.zip" from the sbf forum. When that was loading, it tried to delete the factory recovery and install clockwork recovery. It froze at this screen for roughly 20 mins, so I ended up pulling the battery.

THE IMPORTANT PART:

Now I have no recovery, I can only get to the ! screen. From there, I tried to re-install clockwork from the recovery-update.zip included in the clockwork mod folder. (I found somewhere else on this forum that told me to do so.) When I try to do that, I get an error: "error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip"

/tmp/sideload folder doesn't even exist on my SD card. Can someone get me this file so I can reload clockwork and get an OS back on my phone? (Or otherwise help me to get back to normal!?)

PS - no matter what I did, it never got past the white motorola boot thing to the normal boot animation.

OP
havens1515

havens1515

Reaction score
How do i sbf directly from the ! screen? I downloaded the .zip file with the .sbf file in it, and when I tried to do that, it gave me an error.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
sorry i should have been more clear, you're going to have to do a full sbf from the pc using rsd lite. i may be mistaken but i think that's the only way to get back from gingerbread. so just to be clear right now you can't fully boot and you can't get in to stock recovery right?

OP
havens1515

havens1515

Reaction score
It says

"E:signature verification failed
installation aborted"

when I tried to load the VRZ_A955_2.3.20.zip

OP
havens1515

havens1515

Reaction score
right, I can't fully boot OR get into ANY recovery except the ! screen (idk what that screen is called, or if it's considered a recovery screen)

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
that is the first part of stock recovery. try pressing both volume buttons simultaneously at that screen to see if you can get in and from there do a data wipe but at this point i'm pretty sure the full sbf is the only thing to save you. but it should save you so that's a plus. you just don't want to waste too much time trying other stuff. don't want your battery to drain to the point that you cant do the sbf.

OP
havens1515

havens1515

Reaction score
I've done that, still won't boot after deleting data/cache. Still stuck at white moto screen. (The only plus with the battery thing is that my battery was at 100% when I started this whole thing)

OP
havens1515

havens1515

Reaction score
I think I'm going to need to get some sort of recovery on there before doing anything.

OP
havens1515

havens1515

Reaction score
How can I full sbf when I can't get into an operating system OR a recovery? The computer isn't going to recognize my phone.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you don't need recovery you need bootloader mode. and if you cant get in to a recovery then there isn't any way you could try to flash a new recovery. that's why i'm saying the sbf is your only option. do you know how to get in to the bootloader?

OP
havens1515

havens1515

Reaction score
I only know how to get into the ! screen (and there is supposed to be a way to load the recovery from there, but get me to the bootloader and we can do it that way.)

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
from a phone off state, slide the phone open and press and hold the up button on the dpad (the one that points toward the screen) and then while still holding the up button, press and hold the power button. hold both of them untill you see a black screen with white writing. that's the bootloader, and that's where you want to be to flash the sbf from the computer.

OP
havens1515

havens1515

Reaction score
K sweet, I got there. Now what? I loaded RSD Lite and clicked "Show Device" and nothing happened.