HELP, Cannot install apps!

drfsupercenter

Reaction score
So, this is really frustrating me. I even redid the entire process of using the 2.3.20 SBF file, downloading the official OTA update, rooting the phone, installing ROM Manager and the boostrap, then installing the September 8 build of CyanogenMod 7. I then booted it, rebooted ClockworkMod Recovery and installed the Google apps.

However, it seems like the majority of apps don't want to download. Some of them will, the ones that phone just automatically re-installs from my purchase history. But other ones, rather IMPORTANT ones like Titanium Backup Pro Key (you know, so I can skip the massive redownloading of 200 apps and just restore my backup with one-click?), it gives me a message saying "[Name of app] could not be downloaded due to an error". I've wiped the data and cache plenty of times, this stupid thing keeps happening. Google apps like YouTube say they're starting download and just sit there for hours.

I really have no idea what's going on here, but this is a fairly serious problem. I need to be able to install apps that I previously paid for!! Anybody had this happen to them or know of a possible fix?

Also, on a slightly unrelated note, the ALT Lock key on the slide-out keyboard doesn't work. Not sure if this has been reported or not.

OP
D

drfsupercenter

Reaction score
Of course I've installed Google apps, how else would I have even gotten the Market app?

havens1515

Reaction score
Hey, I'm just trying to think of different things that could be happening here.

I know it probably sounds like it won't help, but try backing up everything on your SD card, formatting the card, then transfer everything back. Maybe it's an issue with the SD card. (I know, most apps install onto the phone not the SD card, but I've heard of this working in weirder situations.)

Also, do you have the market fix installed? If not, Google "Gingerbread Market fix". It's an apk file that you can install. run the app once, then you can delete it. You may need to also wipe data from the market after the fix.

OP
D

drfsupercenter

Reaction score
I ran that, still nothing. I can't even install FREE apps. Literally nothing works. Oh, and it's not the SD card. I've tried unmounting the card and then attempting to download, same error. And yes, I also ran the Market Fix. Nothing is working!!! Things like this make me want to go back to the stock ROM :angry:

OP
D

drfsupercenter

Reaction score
Same problem. Fixed permissions in ROM Manager and rebooted, no dice. :angry::angry::angry:

OP
D

drfsupercenter

Reaction score
Hmm, it appears to be related to my account. If I add another gmail account that I haven't purchased any apps from, it works fine to download free apps... the problem is, what about the ones I bought? Plus, I'd like to be able to use my primary account without having to keep switching them..

havens1515

Reaction score
Time to talk with the big G I think. I'd send Google's support team an email or something. (If you can figure out how to... I've never had to do so.) If it's an account issue, idk how else you could remedy that.

OP
D

drfsupercenter

Reaction score
Well, the odd thing is that I've only ever seen this issue on CyanogenMod. It works fine on stock.

OP
D

drfsupercenter

Reaction score
Sigh, how would I even contact Google anyway?

--EDIT--

Also, I don't see what you mean about the ALT Lock being part of the Blur framework... in ClockworkModRecovery, if I go to Keytest, it shows as "Key: 125", it's obviously picked up just like any other key on the device.

Last edited:

havens1515

Reaction score
There is no way to map a function to that key in AOSP. I don't know the details, I'm not a developer, but the devs told me that the blur framework has to be used to map the ALT lock key. If you want more details, ask Revnumbers or one of the other devs. The ALT lock not working isn't a big deal anyways, because hitting ALT twice does the same thing as the ALT lock. (Forgot to mention this before)

As far as how to contact Google, maybe start here:
Android Help

(I just did a Google search for android support)

MrYellow

Reaction score
I had this exact same issue when i first flashed cyanogen. I was obviously frustrated because it takes a few minutes to go from Liberty .9 on the Monster kernal to froyo (bootlooped after sbfin) then install the OTA and finally install cyanogen. Because of this i decided to search for a few days for a remedy before sbfin yet again and flashing another rom (steel looks intriguing) so all my efforts weren't wasted. However this morning ( approximately 36-48 hours after flashing c7), without me having to do anything, when i went into market to try again everything downloaded without a problem. I am sorry i cannot be of more help ( would love to give back to the community which has been so kind to me), but i figured the least i could do is share my story. Best of luck to you and hopefully you find a solution or luck prevails as in my case.