Help buying a laptop, please

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Wanna get my daughter a new laptop as she heads to college...

Is an Acer a nice one?
Office Max has an Aspire - 4gig/320hdd/win 7/intel i3 - for 529. Newegg wants 629. for the same laptop.

She likes Dell - should I convince her to go with this one?

As always,
TIA

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hey man, what is she going to school for? I went for graphic design adn computer art, animation etc... so obviously I needed to spend a bit more for a more powerful machine. Personally I don't think theres a problem with that one because it would be good for what she needs if its mostly communication, papers, research, interenet... People can argue about what brands are good and bad, but for the basics I personally don't think it matters much... (one kids opinion)

INSANENEIVIESIS

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowrom.com
i have a dell studio 17" with 2 ghz processor and 6 gigs of ram. its nice and your can get a cutomize shell to make it look prettiful was around $1200 but you can lower the specs if your on a budget.

OP
DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Hey man, what is she going to school for? I went for graphic design adn computer art, animation etc... so obviously I needed to spend a bit more for a more powerful machine. Personally I don't think theres a problem with that one because it would be good for what she needs if its mostly communication, papers, research, interenet... People can argue about what brands are good and bad, but for the basics I personally don't think it matters much... (one kids opinion)

She's going into English/Pre-Law. I think this would be a good one for her at a good price, but she wants a built in web cam to stay in touch w/ her BF.

tdawg5480

Reaction score
acers cheap price wise and decent bang for buck but run hot, poor customer service. Given her use I would recommend a lenovo thinkpad a tad higher but will be worth it parts are user changeable, extremely durabe and will last throughout her time in school. I have 3 but had up to 6 at one time I sold the 3 to those needing a top notch laptop. I can drop a 16lb bowling ball on my thinkpads and pour water on them without a hitch. Need help choosing a model drop me a pm

OP
DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
The wife had some Office Max bucks from work and a 15. coupon so we had to go with the Acer. Got it out the door (tax and all) for 497. For a 15.6 inch LED/win 7 64 bit/4 gigs/320 HDD/new intel i3 (and a built in web cam) - I think we did pretty decent. My daughter's on it now and grinnin' from ear to ear :) Actually, it runs circles around my desktop.