Help - Apps disappearing on reboots

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by rickt1152, Oct 1, 2010.

1. rickt1152

rickt1152 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am running Project Elite and it is a great Rom. My problem is not Rom specific as it has happened to me on SS, Sapphire and Project Elite.

Following any reboot, all of apps on SD are not available, and only show the default green icon. Back when I used Launcher Pro, I would just keep restarting it and the apps would eventually come back after several LP restarts. I am now running ADW (with zero redraws), but the apps do not come back with the launcher restarts. I generally must reboot the phone numerous times and eventually, they come back, but this process sometimes takes several hours or longer. I do not know if it is OS related, ADW related, or an issue with the SD card (which seems to work fine otherwise). The amount of downtime I experience with this process is becoming a significant problem for me, and would really like to resolve this.

I also notice that when I am in this state, the apps all show up in the "Settings, Manage Applications", but are greyed out. During this period where the apps are accessible, I can still access content on the SD card through Astro, Root Explorer, etc.

I notice when I click on any application (including ones in internal memory), in the manage applications menu, it will just hang and never give me the file size, data size or cache size. I must do a force stop to get out of the settings menu. Lastly, in this state, I can not install any applications from the market, update any apps from the market or restore anything with Titanium. So something seems to be going on that is effecting more than just the apps stored on the SD card.

One final observation/question, I never created an app2SD partition on my card. The apps move to the card and function just fine, once the phone eventually recognizes them, but didn't know if this was somehow contributing to my issue.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. jeffe65

jeffe65 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've been wrestling with the same problem, and a variety of things have worked from time to time, but only temporarily. It seems that once the apps are listed as "Computing..." in the management area, forget it. Clearing cache, data, whatever, is ignored; even uninstalling will appear to process, but the app will still be there. It seems the phone can't load all its data, and until it does, nothing else is going to change.

First I had thought this was the ROM (I'm running MetiCkOne's BN'B), but these issues seem to show up as soon as I installed Launcher Pro AND moved a couple of apps to the sd card. I have a zillion apps listed as "downloadfile-xxx" on my sdcard from failed installs/updates, and am going to try deleting them (after backup). There's got to be a "key" to this that no-one has found, or a combination of steps that are locking things up, which should be able to be corrected when needed - Short of a full reset, just to run headlong into it again...:blink:

3. rickt1152

rickt1152 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I believe I have solved the issue for me. I have pieced together a solution from other threads in this and other forums. What worked for me was to

1. delete the contents of the .android_secure folder on the SD card. Keep in mind, this deletes all the apps that were moved to the SD card. I had to do this by connecting to USB. The folder will appear to be empty when I viewed it through Astro or Root Explorer due to the fact that the files are encryped. Make sure you have a back up of any apps that you can't reinstall through the market (Titanium Back up was my choice)

2. Once I deleted all files in the folder, I went ahead and did a full wipe and reinstall of the ROM (Project Elite v 2) in my case. I moved the apps I wanted to be on the SD card following the ROM install and everythings works exactly as it should. Generally on a reboot most if not all of my apps appear immediately, on occassion I have to restart the Launcher (ADW) once to get the rest to appear, but I did this about 10 days ago and everything is completely normal. I no longer fear the reboot like I did.

I'm not sure that the full wipe and reinstall ROM are necessary, but I was so tired of the issue, I just wanted it to be fixed, so I took the extra step.

Hope this works for you.

4. jeffe65

jeffe65 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks; now if I can just get one of my computers to recognize my phone...

5. rickt1152

rickt1152 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you have Clockwork installed, you should be able to boot into recovery and then Mount USB, I believe this is a choice in the Nandroid menu, but not positive about the location. It has been so long since I've used SPrecovery, and I can't remember if it has a similar option, but I believe it does.

6. Gabrech

Gabrech New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Found a bypass

Hy all,
    Just registered cause I have been digging this issue for 2 hours, and I found an
    easy solution.

Problem is: The launcher opens before the Sd is mounted

Go to TaskManager -> Ram management

Then clear the Level2 of the ram memory.

Launcher resets but taking into account the mounted sd card.

PS: Newb to this forum, first post here, cheers to you all !

Search tags for this page
android apps disappear

android apps keep disapearing after restart

app disappear sd android
applications on sd card keep disappearing

apps disappearing during waiting process and can not reinstall app

apps keep disappering on htc one v..icon is there but says a
install data disappears after reboot android
phone app keeps disapearing android
root explorer keeps disappearing from my phone
sgs2 app on sd disappearing