1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

help appreciated - can't get 2.1 OTA

Discussion in 'Rescue Squad Help' started by jntdroid, Jun 16, 2010.

1. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator Premium Member

I just got back from vacation and was wiping and reflashing my phone back to stock 2.1. One problem - the 2.1 OTA update which normally just happens automatically, it isn't happening. I wiped first, then flashed 2.0.1 using rsd lite, then got stuck late last night b/c I couldn't activate. So this morning it activated fine, but no update. I've tried a factory reset both through the phone settings as well as the phone's default recovery menu, still no luck. The ONLY difference between this time and the many times before is that I was on a new baseband, but I flashed back to the normal one BEFORE I wiped and flashed 2.0.1. I have also done this once before going back to the original baseband with no problem, so I don't think that would cause a problem...??

Any thoughts?
  2. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator

Did you look under system updates? Does it say up to date or updates available?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. jntdroid

sorry, been off for a bit... first morning back to work is always chaos!

it simply says: "Your system is currently up to date", and it's definitely still 2.0.1, esd56, etc

not sure what else to do except to try and reflash the 2.0.1 unless anybody has any other ideas
  4. jntdroid

bump...

anybody have any thoughts? i've reflashed 2.0.1 again on a different computer after doing a full wipe again, and still no luck
  5. jntdroid

found another brief thread where the guy ran into this and did a factory reset through the default recovery menu and then was able to download it... tried that, still no luck... it looks like the factory reset worked, but it did say this at the beginning of it:

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

I'm close to trying to call VZW and just tell them I did a factory reset and I'm stuck on 2.0.1 now.
  6. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Do you not want to download it from the internet? I'm pretty sure I can find it.
  7. Comptrgeek

Comptrgeek New Member

Had the same issue, tried to root, didn't work , didn't want to brick it, lol, so i went back to 2.0.1 last night, figuring the update would find me...d'loaded 2.1 from net this morning and installed it. worked like a champ for me!!dancedroid
  8. jntdroid

gotta link?
  9. Kmart95

Kmart95 New Member

10. jntdroid

cool, thanks a lot

This has been interesting... I have been on the phone with VZW and then they transferred me over to Motorola. VZW was no help, but she tried her best. Then she randomly offered me 10% off my bill for the next 6 months. I was not pushy or even the slightest bit assertive, especially since I created this problem.

Then she transferred me to Motorola. Also super nice... she ended up having to put in an order to have it pushed to my phone in the next 3 to 5 business days. She found it odd that I had the correct baseband, which is possibly why it wasn't prompting for an update. But here's what I don't get... If I flashed the 2.0.1 .sbf, I would think that would override the baseband since, historically, I've gone from 2.1 rom's with the same baseband, then used the same .sbf to get back to 2.0.1 then back to stock, and it prompted me for the update no problem. So who knows, maybe the baseband isn't the problem... just interesting though, regardless.
  11. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Normally the basebands do get overridden when u do this....strange.....

Maybe either reflashing the 2.0.1 sbf til the 2.0.1 baseband stuck or installing the 2.0.1 baseband first woulda prompted the OTA to download?

Everytime I flashed 2.0.1 the OTA downloaded. Even when I flashed 2.1, the mystery 2.1 OTA a month ago downloaded....
  12. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

My volume up key broke and so I will need to have my Droid replaced by Verizon, and upon unrooting my phone I also have been stuck on 2.0.1.....
    Won't do an OTA, says it's up to date... can't do it manually since my volume up key is f*ed (what are the odds eh?? lmao) .... too funny... I guess I'll have to send it back to them as is...
  13. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

U cant navigate the recovery with the D Pad?
  14. jntdroid

Yeah me too, first time this has happened to me. Maybe it means, in some roundabout way, that 2.2 OTA is just around the corner... :icon_eek:
  15. jntdroid

Though, I did ask the Motorola lady about it (2.2), and she just laughed and said typically the customers on "the forums" know before they do. :)
  16. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

LOL!!! Too funny....

That would be nice if it did mean 2,2 was on its way.
  17. Mbk

Well it says that I need to press the volume up and camera keys simultaneously to get to the point of using the D pad to navigate to the 2.1 update zip... didn't try since my volume up key is f*ed.
    Up to this point I've been using ClockWorkMod or SPRecov... never had to do a hard reset the VZW way..lol

BTW... 2.2 from here is probably ahead of the curve compared to what VZW ends up sending to us..lmao
  18. jntdroid

so yours won't OTA automatically either then? i find that an odd coincidence... !

2 users out of 1 million +... must be a sign that something is going on... :)
  19. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

U on the stock recovery now?

Any way to get SP back on your phone to try to install the 2.0.1 baseband manually? The basebands are in update.zip format now so changing them is alot easier.
  20. Mbk

We'll see....only time will tell .. although once i get my new (uhumm, refurbished, like 'new') Droid tommorrow, I'll be flashing it to FlawlessFroyo/BuglessBeast v0.1 immediately...lol :)
Search tags for this page

cant get into a game ota 2