Help an old guy out please

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
On my phone (Razr M) I can move files from internal to SD Card only using the built in Files app. When I try with any Play Store file app it doe not work...like you described. My Camera app still has an option to save to SDCard and has worked fine with KK. Each device might be a little different. But the way I understood the new change was the app has to have "owner" permissions to read / write to the SD Card now. I guess the Files app does but Play Store file apps do not.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
On my phone (Razr M) I can move files from internal to SD Card only using the built in Files app. When I try with any Play Store file app it doe not work...like you described. My Camera app still has an option to save to SDCard and has worked fine with KK. Each device might be a little different. But the way I understood the new change was the app has to have "owner" permissions to read / write to the SD Card now. I guess the Files app does but Play Store file apps do not.
All I know is before KK I could freely move my music and photos to wherever I wanted, no matter the source and now I can't so for me an external card is only good for the media on it before my Note8 got 4.4. I cannot move new songs from Amazon to it and I cannot move photos not taken with the Note8 camera to it. I don't mind not being able to move apps.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Must be the way Google changed the "permissions" and different phone models might respond in different ways?? At least you don't mind the changes and have your own methods for storage & backups. Sooner or later most of us will probably not have the SD card option.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I just used ES File Explorer and successfully moved a photo to my SD Card, no error.
?!?!?!?!
Although I wasn't really referring to moving pics there, just that you could set the camera default to save them there.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just used ES File Explorer and successfully moved a photo to my SD Card, no error.
?!?!?!?!
Although I wasn't really referring to moving pics there, just that you could set the camera default to save them there.
Must be a Samsung thing. I cannot move photos using ES from internal to external, now have 2 folders for each (1 internal,1 external) in my Quik Pic gallery that I can't combine. This goes for Bluetooth, Picsay, Download and Picsart folders. I cannot move my Amazon music from internal to external so I've had to get Power Amp to scan Amazon folders in 2 places, 1 internal the other external. I cannot find a way to change save locations on them to external.
Sorry to have jacked this thread but the title us relevant, I'm an old dude that needs help :(

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Root that phone bro ...lol

M8 tap'd
Someone at some point will come up with a non root work around. This isn't ios here so there will be a solution at some point. It only affects my Note8 since my other Android devices either don't have an external card ability or have been abandoned so they'll not get 4.4 anyway.