Help an old guy out please

Ratdog68

Reaction score
My Motorola RAZR is long in the tooth, went to Verizon to research.

History... my plan is small, but I have one of the old unlimited data options on my plan. To keep that option, I must buy a phone at full price.

The folks there suggested I get the DROID MAXX. Being an old fart, I forgot the detail, and bought a DROID RAZR MAXX HD phone. It just arrived (haven't gone in with it yet). Am I going to kick myself?

Also? I don't know a "JB" from a "KK", but, am reading that most folks with the RAZR MAXX HD aren't too pleased with the "KK" upgrade. How do I keep options open? Can I?

Thanks

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Are you sure it was RAZR Maxx HD? I don't think Verizon has had those available for a few months or more. If it truly was....the KitKat (KK) operating system (OS) upgrade was great for some and not great for others. But a new phone starting fresh on KK should be just fine.

OP
R

Ratdog68

Reaction score
Quite certain, purchased the phone "NIB" off eBay. "RAZR MAXX HD". In any case it HAS to be "more gooder" than my OLD "RAZR". The battery on it is fading.

Thank you for the reply.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Sorry...I misunderstood... Thought you meant that you bought it in a Verizon store. My bad. . The RAZR Maxx HD is part of the 2012 Droid line and the Droid Maxx is part of the 2013 Droid line. The RAZR Maxx HD is still a great phone with a big battery and should serve you well for a while. Hope you enjoy your new phone.

OP
R

Ratdog68

Reaction score
Quite alright, I wasn't real clear on that tidbit initially.

posttal

Reaction score
I have 2 razr maxx HD's..one is brand new and will replace my main one if anything happens to it...these are great phones .. The only thing I wish it had was Infrared so I could open the garage door with it...I might check out the new HTC which has I.R...but in the mean time I love my razr maxx HD. My kid buys a new phone every time one comes out he's had them all and I've checked them all out.and my Razr maxx feels the best in my hands and with the 4.4.2 update it does everything his does...except I.R :(

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have 2 razr maxx HD's..one is brand new and will replace my main one if anything happens to it...these are great phones .. The only thing I wish it had was Infrared so I could open the garage door with it...I might check out the new HTC which has I.R...but in the mean time I love my razr maxx HD. My kid buys a new phone every time one comes out he's had them all and I've checked them all out.and my Razr maxx feels the best in my hands and with the 4.4.2 update it does everything his does...except I.R :(

posttal

Reaction score
A big factor here...and with a lot of newer phones..the MaxxHD has a spot for an SD card..i put all my photos and impotant stuff on the SD card..the Droid Maxx like most newer phones does not take an SD card,everything is stored in the phone and they push you to store IN THRE CLOUD..screw the cloud. I have friends in law enforcement and they easily get court orders to look at you stuff in the cloud if your being investigated..so whats next,a divorce lawyer getting access to the pictures in the cloud to see if your cheating on your wife etc ?... no thank you. The phones are the same otherwise..they say the battery life is a little better...but those doing the comparisons are comparing a new droid maxx to an older maxx HD with a used battery not a new one...naturally as the phones get older the battery life diminishes a bit...stick with the maxx HD...its a better phone...don't get sucked into this newer is better crap...with each new phone and update your privacy is being taken away...not to mention the bloat ware and spam added....and now with the root for the maxx HD its perfect

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A big factor here...and with a lot of newer phones..the MaxxHD has a spot for an SD card..i put all my photos and impotant stuff on the SD card..the Droid Maxx like most newer phones does not take an SD card,everything is stored in the phone and they push you to store IN THRE CLOUD..screw the cloud. I have friends in law enforcement and they easily get court orders to look at you stuff in the cloud if your being investigated..so whats next,a divorce lawyer getting access to the pictures in the cloud to see if your cheating on your wife etc ?... no thank you. The phones are the same otherwise..they say the battery life is a little better...but those doing the comparisons are comparing a new droid maxx to an older maxx HD with a used battery not a new one...naturally as the phones get older the battery life diminishes a bit...stick with the maxx HD...its a better phone...don't get sucked into this newer is better crap...with each new phone and update your privacy is being taken away...not to mention the bloat ware and spam added....and now with the root for the maxx HD its perfect
I just use an otg (on the go available online for a couple of dollars) cord and plug into a card reader or flash drive and transfer my valuables off device. I do this even on devices with external cards because I'm anal about having backups for my backups. Some say it's a pain but the pain only lasts about a minute or 2 and I'm done.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I just use an otg (on the go available online for a couple of dollars) cord and plug into a card reader or flash drive and transfer my valuables off device. I do this even on devices with external cards because I'm anal about having backups for my backups. Some say it's a pain but the pain only lasts about a minute or 2 and I'm done.

I have had an SD Card in every Droid I have owned. But my new Droid Maxx will be here soon and I will have to get used to no SD Card. I plan on buying one of the OTG readers....seems pretty simple.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Everyone prefers different options when it comes to storage and backups. At least there are options available to suite different styles. As far as the phones go....I say all the time...all that matters is that you are happy with the phone you are carrying and paying the bill for. IMHO it doesn't matter what model or year it was made...as long as you are satisfied. Glad you are liking your RMHD, its a great phone!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have had an SD Card in every Droid I have owned. But my new Droid Maxx will be here soon and I will have to get used to no SD Card. I plan on buying one of the OTG readers....seems pretty simple.
Kit Kat makes having an external card pretty pointless anyway.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Hardly. KK will still play music from an SD Card. Still allow you to store photos there.
What else do you REALLY need it for? Moving apps to sd? Only thing I can think of.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hardly. KK will still play music from an SD Card. Still allow you to store photos there.
What else do you REALLY need it for? Moving apps to sd? Only thing I can think of.
Please elaborate on how you are able to move music/photos/etc to the external sd card. I cannot figure out how. Even ES File Explorer just gives an error "files not moved". My understanding was it was Google. If I'm wrong I apologize but I have a few apps that save to phone storage and when I try to move the media to external I get the error message no matter what I try to use to move them. Example,I sync a photo from my phone to tablet using Bluetooth. Tablet saves to Bluetooth folder on internal storage. I go to move them to external, they won't move.