HELP! accidentally deleted IMSCServer from Droid Bionic

OP
S

Sgtblack

Reaction score
In case you haven't been paying attention, even with a proper working backup it's unusually difficult to restore system apps on the Bionic, seemingly impossible in my case, and I've seen threads in other forums with this exact same issue. And this has nothing to do with the sbf file.

Edit: Here's a link to a thread showing exactly what I'm talking about: [Q] Help with Bionic System App Restore! - xda-developers

You also have to remember that most phone manufacturers DON'T want people rooting phones. In motorola'a case I am almost 100% sure that we have Verizon to blame. Motto does not gain anything from the deal, Verizon phones have always had massive amounts of bloat ware, and will always fight against root methods.

Chopteeth

Reaction score
You also have to remember that most phone manufacturers DON'T want people rooting phones. In motorola'a case I am almost 100% sure that we have Verizon to blame. Motto does not gain anything from the deal, Verizon phones have always had massive amounts of bloat ware, and will always fight against root methods.

Ha, I was talking with my friend earlier today and he basically lead me to the same conclusion, guess Motorola deserves an apology. So do you think Verizon purposefully decided to make it super difficult to restore system apps in order to discourage users from removing bloatware? So sinister! And I don't want to return the phone during the 14 day return period in case they decide to check and see if it was rooted then charge me 600 bucks, guess I'm stuck waiting for a stock ROM :(.

Chopteeth

Reaction score
Quick update, I downloaded GO Contacts free from the market, I still can't add/edit contacts but at least I can use them. It'll have to do until someone figures out how to flash to a stock ROM. I'll keep checking this thread occasionally if anyone has any questions.

_matt

Reaction score
I have done this with the blur_facebook.apk on the bionic and it worked.

Connect phone to adb, type out command
Adb push yourfile.apk /system/app
then before hitting enter on your phone open root explorer to that directory make rw and then hit enter on terminal.

It worked for me so try and let us know.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Chopteeth

Reaction score
Forgot to post...here is the fix, restore these files and set correct permission, reboot and presto Contacts fixed :)

View attachment 40181

You, Sir, are a gentleman AND a scholar. After looking through the apps that you bundled into that folder, I noticed that there were 4 apps I was missing: blur_yahoo.apk and its .odex, YahooContacts.apk and its .odex, com.motorola.blur.contacts.sync.yahoo.apk, and com.motorola.blur.provider.yahoo.apk. Those last two I had no idea I even needed, and were not present in a system dump of the Bionic which I downloaded online. After moving all of those files into /system/app, changing their permissions AND ownership, and rebooting, I was finally able to get my contacts to work. I'm closing the book on this issue, and getting some sleep. GG, Motorola. And a huge thanks to everyone that helped me, couldn't have done it without you.

GeLopez

Reaction score
Epic thread lol

The only sure way to install system apps is using adb or terminal. Sometimes root explorer does the job but adb will always work.

03gade

Reaction score
alright, n00b here but I have a very similar problem and was hoping ya'll could help

so I had rooted froyo on my droid 2 (not global) and accordingly i couldnt get the gingerbread update. I backed up my apps with titanium backup, put my photos on my computer and made sure my contacts were backed up I did this How to: Return DROID2 Back to Stock 2.2 to Receive Gingerbread Update - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog got froyo back up and running, dialed *228 pressed 1, got my phone all activated and what not, got the gingerbread update, re rooted with the one click rooter, reinstalled titanium backup, got my apps back, yay.

Now the reason i rooted froyo in the first place was to get rid of bloatware so i went through with titanium to remove it from gingerbread, and in the procesdeleted all my authenticators (myspace, yahoo, flickr, picasa ect.) and now i cant view contacts. I read through this forum, downloaded all the apks again. Now I said I'm a n00b and have no idea how to use ADB so i put all the apks on my sd card, used root explorer to move them to system/apps one by one and changed their permissions so they are all rw_r__r__........

shouldn't that work? my conacts keep crashings still and titanium backup doesnt recognize the authenticators. I could always reflash froyo and do the process over again if i need to but i was wondering if there was a simpler solution. I have GO contacts as a temporary workaround but its ironic the only thing my phone cant do right now is actually call people with ease.

03gade

Reaction score
too impaitent to wait longer for a response...im flashing back to froyo as we speak

panimat

Reaction score
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!! YEEEESSS! when I went back into TB it was there and said the backup was valid! I think you have to do the method with the apk that I had listed before with root explorer and then go back into TB and restore, 3G is back and everything. Thank you so much for all of your help! I'll stick around for as long as I can to try to get your problem fixed!

Okay, so Im a little late to this game -- but I've done the same exact thing (delete the IMSCServer file from TB). The only difference is, I ran a backup before deleting it, so i have a legit backup copy on my sdcard. I've basically followed all of the steps, i.e. moving the .apk in the /system/apps folder using root explorer. But I noticed that I do not have a .odex file in there :( Could this be something that can be restored to??

Stgblack -- Could you .zip up both the .apk and .odex you used for your bionic to see if I can restore the .odex?

Any help will be very much appreciated.