HELP! accidentally deleted IMSCServer from Droid Bionic

OP
S

Sgtblack

Reaction score
For some reason when I go to batch and try that it still only says I have one back-up and its the one that i made of yahoo contacts... its not reading the back up you sent.

Chopteeth

Reaction score
For some reason when I go to batch and try that it still only says I have one back-up and its the one that i made of yahoo contacts... its not reading the back up you sent.

I've been doing some more research and it seems that in order to install system apps specifically you need to mess around with the Android SDK, I will continue working on this and let you know when I find a satisfactory method, thank you very much for the Yahoo Contacts backup!

gsDroid

Reaction score
Can't you just use Root Explorer and copy it back from where you deleted it? Where is it located internally?

OP
S

Sgtblack

Reaction score
Alright, I pray this works out I really hate to have a brand new phone that has no data signal. =[

OP
S

Sgtblack

Reaction score
Can't you just use Root Explorer and copy it back from where you deleted it? Where is it located internally?
It was an apk file that I uninstalled using root uninstaller, when I try to just re install the apk I have backed up it fails, is there a way to just manually put the files somewhere? all I have is the apk.

OP
S

Sgtblack

Reaction score
Is this what you are talking about gsDroid?

"The easiest way, at least for me, to get an app into /system/app is to use Root Explorer to copy the apk into /system/app.

To do this:
  • In Root Explorer, copy the apk file you want to put in /system/app
  • Navigate to the /system/app directory
  • Tap the Mount R/W button on the top right
  • Tap Paste
  • Scroll down to the pasted apk, long press on it and select Permissions (you'll see 9 check boxes when you do this)
  • Check the Read and Write buttons for User, and only the Read boxes next to Group and Others, then tap OK (once you're done, the read/write permissions under the app name should be the same as all the other apps listed (rw-r--r--))
  • Reboot.
_______________"

Chopteeth

Reaction score
It was an apk file that I uninstalled using root uninstaller, when I try to just re install the apk I have backed up it fails, is there a way to just manually put the files somewhere? all I have is the apk.

That does not appear to be the case. More info about installing system apps here: rooting - Rooted: How to install a system app? - Android - Stack Exchange

You already have the .apk so thats good, now I have the Yahoo Contacts apk so I will let you know how this method works.

gsDroid

Reaction score
If it is an installable apk have you tried Astro? Put it on your sdcard, use Astro to navigate to it, touch it and choose open in appmanager. You may be able to install it from there, but make sure you have Unknown Sources checked in Settings > Applications.

OP
S

Sgtblack

Reaction score
If it is an installable apk have you tried Astro? Put it on your sdcard, use Astro to navigate to it, touch it and choose open in appmanager. You may be able to install it from there, but make sure you have Unknown Sources checked in Settings > Applications.
I have tried that already, and I have Unknown Sources checked I don't think you can install system apps like that.

gsDroid

Reaction score
Is this what you are talking about gsDroid?

"The easiest way, at least for me, to get an app into /system/app is to use Root Explorer to copy the apk into /system/app.

To do this:
  • In Root Explorer, copy the apk file you want to put in /system/app
  • Navigate to the /system/app directory
  • Tap the Mount R/W button on the top right
  • Tap Paste
  • Scroll down to the pasted apk, long press on it and select Permissions (you'll see 9 check boxes when you do this)
  • Check the Read and Write buttons for User, and only the Read boxes next to Group and Others, then tap OK (once you're done, the read/write permissions under the app name should be the same as all the other apps listed (rw-r--r--))
  • Reboot.

_______________"

OK, just caught up with the last couple of posts. I didn't know it was that hard to install system apps. But, yes that is what I was talking about.

OP
S

Sgtblack

Reaction score
attempted the root explorer method... Idk if it worked or not but I still don't have 3g connection... is there anyway to have someone dump there phones system file and I can replace mine with it?

OP
S

Sgtblack

Reaction score
attempted the root explorer method... Idk if it worked or not but I still don't have 3g connection... is there anyway to have someone dump there phones system file and I can replace mine with it?

scratch that... it did not work the app is not coming up in Titanium backup...

Chopteeth

Reaction score
scratch that... it did not work the app is not coming up in Titanium backup...

Similar problem, got the app into System/App but it's still not working, it shows up in Titanium at the bottom of the list greyed out... I'm starting to get dismayed :(

OP
S

Sgtblack

Reaction score
Similar problem, got the app into System/App but it's still not working, it shows up in Titanium at the bottom of the list greyed out... I'm starting to get dismayed :(
lol imagine how you would feel if the app you were trying to install took away your 3g/4g data... =[ Idk what I'm going to do.

Chopteeth

Reaction score
lol imagine how you would feel if the app you were trying to install took away your 3g/4g data... =[ Idk what I'm going to do.

I feel for you man :(. There must be something different about installing system apps on the bionic, and since it's so new I have no idea what that is. I really hope someone with greater technical insight into this stuff helps us out.