Hello

madrover

Reaction score
Hi everyone-

I'm both new to this site and new to the Android family of phones. I am a former Blackberry user who was tired of the constant bugs, freezes and not to mention the dreaded daily (if not hourly, sometimes) battery pull...yuck! Don't get me wrong, I think Blackberry has a place in the smartphone world and the email capability is awesome, but I find it hard to believe that in this day and age you still have to pull the battery to fix anything!!!

I have owned my Droid for a week now and I have to say that I am truly addicted! This phone is great for work, play and anything in between - you can really lose track of time playing with this phone. It has taken be a little bit to get familiar with the features and or menus, etc., but I am extremely pleased with this phone. Before I had my Blackberry I had an iPhone and thought that was great, and while I don't think you could compare these phones (please don't beat me up. I'm not saying one is better than the other), as they both have pluses and minuses, I really like the fact that you can customize this phone until you're blue in the face.

Last thing, I know that I should check the forums for what I'm about to ask, and I will, but what do I gain by rooting and modding the droid? Is it the same concept as the hybrid OS for Blackberry? I've also heard that once you mod the phone, you can't go back to the original? Is that true?

Thanks in advance for all your help now and in the future and keep up the good work...this site has it all!!

Mike

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hi everyone-

I'm both new to this site and new to the Android family of phones. I am a former Blackberry user who was tired of the constant bugs, freezes and not to mention the dreaded daily (if not hourly, sometimes) battery pull...yuck! Don't get me wrong, I think Blackberry has a place in the smartphone world and the email capability is awesome, but I find it hard to believe that in this day and age you still have to pull the battery to fix anything!!!

I have owned my Droid for a week now and I have to say that I am truly addicted! This phone is great for work, play and anything in between - you can really lose track of time playing with this phone. It has taken be a little bit to get familiar with the features and or menus, etc., but I am extremely pleased with this phone. Before I had my Blackberry I had an iPhone and thought that was great, and while I don't think you could compare these phones (please don't beat me up. I'm not saying one is better than the other), as they both have pluses and minuses, I really like the fact that you can customize this phone until you're blue in the face.

Last thing, I know that I should check the forums for what I'm about to ask, and I will, but what do I gain by rooting and modding the droid? Is it the same concept as the hybrid OS for Blackberry? I've also heard that once you mod the phone, you can't go back to the original? Is that true?

Thanks in advance for all your help now and in the future and keep up the good work...this site has it all!!

Mike

Welcome to your newest obsession, Mike! Glad you've decided to join us here on the forum! I still have a stock phone, but if you choose to root, you then have superuser permissions within the OS and can change whatever you want, however you want. Assuming you have made a backup you can return to stock at any time. I think Hookbill, one of the mods here has gone back to stock, so when he comes along, you can ask him.

Forget the top 5, list ALL of your apps

Enjoy!

:welcome: :byeBB:

D

Droidlicous

Welcome to your new addiction, the phone and the forum!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi Mike. Former Blackberry Storm person myself. Welcome to the forum.

There is a big difference between installing a hybrid and rooting. Rooting makes some huge, noticeable changes on your Droid, both in looks and performance. I highly recommend spending time in the Hacks area reading the stickies there. Lots of great information. Make sure you're comfortable doing it.

I really prefer stock and I'm waiting on 2.1 to come out. I have rooted and unrooted 3 times all 3 using dmupdater and droidmod. While its better then stock I want 2.1 and see how that performs rooted.

Anyway if you need help we are all here for that. I hope and think you'll find this forum different. Enjoy!