Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
@ mrsomis805

Yes i have rom manager already but i dont know what to do with it. If you need to go i understand. Im not in any huge hurry, i just want to finish what i started

Open ROM Manager and select "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery". The "Current Recovery" & "Latest Recovery" should match. Mine has 2.5.0.1.

Once you've done that, go to "Download ROM".
Not sure if you have one you've been looking at, but I use ChevyNo1's Simply Stunning 4.6 right now. Others I see a lot are Bugless Beast and Cyanogen Mod. You can flash a new ROM as often as you want so it's not a problem to switch and try new ones. The Chevy ROM will ask a few things. Choose either Stock or Energy (a nice blue theme). As far as the kernel, or EXT stuff, just skip those for now. That will come later if you want to go there and over clock or partition your SD card for apps2sd.

Once you see the little icon disappear from the top notification bar (pull it down to verify the download completes) it should be on your SD card.

Scroll down to "Backup Current ROM" Use the default name or rename it something else if you want. Press "OK" and it should reboot and start backing everything up. You should see a little white box with yellow/orange arrow and a little Android beside it with little white text scrolling up the screen and a bar at the bottom. It may take a long time - mine has taken maybe 3-4 minutes so far and it's still running. It should reboot on it's own.
Then you can go back into ROM Manager and choose "Install ROM from SD Card". If you download and use Simply Stunning 4.6, I know it will be located in a folder called "clockworkmod/", then "download/", then "chevyno1.richstevenson.com/", "froyo/", "4.6/". "Simply...". Select that file and it will ask about wiping cache and (can't remember other right now). Select both and it should reboot and install and shouldn't need any response more from you.

When it finishes, you should have a new ROM installed.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
@ donelam304

Ok. I just tried the up key and power up. And I get the screen when you do the SPRecovery. Then I tried the X key and power up. I get nothing. It just keeps rebooting. Then when I let off the X key. I get the little saphire gem design and the phone boots all the way.

Using all the addons ya'll have mentioned and letting them download all the way. I even tried the install from the SD card. And when it boots up I get the unlock screen and then the choice to go to launcher pro or 1 other one.

Ok, if you get that far, then you might have the ROM installed. From your home screen, press the menu buttonand select "Settings".Scroll down to "About Phone" and select it.
What do the following items say:
Model Number:
Android Version:
Baseband Version:
Kernel Version:
Build number:

Those will tell us if you have something installed or not. Also, you can refer to the response I gave to to "mrsomis805" and follow those to see if those are the steps you used in ROM Manager.

It's getting late so I might be done for the night. I'll have to pick back up tomorrow if nobody else chimes in.

Earthwalker

Reaction score
It seems like the best thing to do is start from the very beginning. Just to make sure we have everything strait!

The best thing to do is have you head over to Hacking Help - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum that has all the step by step guides, and videos to get you set up.

Just follow them step by step and then you will be able to root your phone. This will give you access to completely control your phone. After you do that then you can in stall a custom ROM.
Also that is the place to be asking for help with hacking.

Hope that helps.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
Is that the case for all phones or just moto droid?

I think it's just a limit of the software and network connection itself.

Just a little tip for the future, click "Quote" to reply so it adds a bit of the post you are responding to. It will help those of us trying to help to know which post/person you are replying to. :)

I'll pick back up in the morning to check on how everything goes for you.

DanDroidX

Reaction score
It sounds like mrsomis805 is having issues with superuser 2.2.2. I flash supersuser 2.1 for all my Roms. I seem to loose root if I use 2.2.2. Especially if things are set on boot.

Here is the link to superuser 2.1.
Superuser-2.1-signed.zip

Here is a link to a post a the CM site about the issue.
Superuser/Root Problems with RC1 - CyanogenMod Forum

I hope this helps the rescue squad direct him to a fix.

donelam304

Reaction score
I have a question. I have asked on 3 other forums and no one answers. Can anyone please help. Here is my question.

I have rooted to Android Version 2.2, Kernal Version 2.6.32.9-P3Droid#75, Build # Saphire_0.7.0-Droid. I have titanium back up. Super ninja. Rom Manager premium. And the rest of the laundry list of addons needed to root. I have downloaded 3 or 4 custom roms. Bug beast, a couple from JRummy or something like that. But it will not do the new roms. I even tried erasing the cache and all the other tricks it said.

Anyone got any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Here is what I currently am running.

donelam304

Reaction score
Ok. I almost bricked my stupid phone trying to do the chevy rom. I tried to install it with rom manager. It didn't work. So then I tried the new saphire one. And when it got to the reboot I done it and it was hanging up at the little gem screen and just kept flashing that. Wth did I do. I re-done my root from the begenning. With SPRecovery_ese81.sbf. then went to the holding the X key and done the original saphire rom. What am I doing wrong.

OP
M

mrsomis805

Reaction score
Yes i have rom manager already but i dont know what to do with it. If you need to go i understand. Im not in any huge hurry, i just want to finish what i started

Open ROM Manager and select "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery". The "Current Recovery" & "Latest Recovery" should match. Mine has 2.5.0.1.

Once you've done that, go to "Download ROM".
Not sure if you have one you've been looking at, but I use ChevyNo1's Simply Stunning 4.6 right now. Others I see a lot are Bugless Beast and Cyanogen Mod. You can flash a new ROM as often as you want so it's not a problem to switch and try new ones. The Chevy ROM will ask a few things. Choose either Stock or Energy (a nice blue theme). As far as the kernel, or EXT stuff, just skip those for now. That will come later if you want to go there and over clock or partition your SD card for apps2sd.

Once you see the little icon disappear from the top notification bar (pull it down to verify the download completes) it should be on your SD card.

Scroll down to "Backup Current ROM" Use the default name or rename it something else if you want. Press "OK" and it should reboot and start backing everything up. You should see a little white box with yellow/orange arrow and a little Android beside it with little white text scrolling up the screen and a bar at the bottom. It may take a long time - mine has taken maybe 3-4 minutes so far and it's still running. It should reboot on it's own.
Then you can go back into ROM Manager and choose "Install ROM from SD Card". If you download and use Simply Stunning 4.6, I know it will be located in a folder called "clockworkmod/", then "download/", then "chevyno1.richstevenson.com/", "froyo/", "4.6/". "Simply...". Select that file and it will ask about wiping cache and (can't remember other right now). Select both and it should reboot and install and shouldn't need any response more from you.

When it finishes, you should have a new ROM installed.

Ok so I tried that and it still says i dont have permission when i try to flash clockworkmod recovery. I get "An error occurred while attempting to run privelaged commands." I then took the other guys advice and downloaded superuser 2.1 but when i check the version number it still says 2.0. How do I use this ROM manager??? Tell me what to do and i'l do it

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Don't know why people continue to use Rom Manager? It has been screwing up left and right since Froyo was introduced.

Stop using RM!!!!

OP
M

mrsomis805

Reaction score
I think i just screwed up big time guys. I tried using rsd lite and sprecovery. I waited til everything was loaded, did a manual restart and my phone now gets no signal and has a slash through the battery. I did a factory reset and no luck. Now i feel really stupid. Is there anything I can do?

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
Don't know why people continue to use Rom Manager? It has been screwing up left and right since Froyo was introduced.

Stop using RM!!!!

Been using it for 4 months and NEVER had a problem.

Now, if you have any other HELPFUL comments to maybe help these two fix their problem, please offer it up.

Last edited:

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
@ mrsomis805
I think i just screwed up big time guys. I tried using rsd lite and sprecovery. I waited til everything was loaded, did a manual restart and my phone now gets no signal and has a slash through the battery. I did a factory reset and no luck. Now i feel really stupid. Is there anything I can do?

This is the exact same thing that happened to another guy on a different thread I was working with. He had to go back and restore a previous backup to get his working again. He was having problems with his 2.2 install. He restored to 2.1 and was good to go and was going to try again in a few days.

You might want to pop over there and read what is already written to try those things and see if it fixes things rather than me trying to copy it to this thread as well.

Last edited:

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
donelam304 & mrsomis805

Ok. I almost bricked my stupid phone trying to do the chevy rom. I tried to install it with rom manager. It didn't work. So then I tried the new saphire one. And when it got to the reboot I done it and it was hanging up at the little gem screen and just kept flashing that. Wth did I do. I re-done my root from the begenning. With SPRecovery_ese81.sbf. then went to the holding the X key and done the original saphire rom. What am I doing wrong.

Maybe this link to a video on YouTube will help walk you through the steps using ROM Manager.
[video=youtube;r9IPHxrimPY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9IPHxrimPY[/video]

I included this link because you both said you had ROM Manager. There are videos to walk you through SPRecovery as well if you decide to try that.

Otherwise, you may just need to restore one of the backups using the recovery mode to get back to where you were and continue to troubleshoot from there.

Last edited: