Hello Please Help

kelvingeorge

Reaction score
I was just checking and Pete did say that one of the 2.2 was original so it may have unrooted your Droid.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
I see. Well, there was a tethering app on the market for root users, but I never tried it. It's probably still on there. I prefer not to mess with vzw's terms of service like that.

On a different topic, this site is a great place to learn. I unrooted my droid because I couldn't afford to spend the time like I had been...It takes some research and practice depending on what you wanna do.

Emitted from X.

I gotta agree with Jonny on this being a good site to learn. I joined this site back in the spring right after I got my Droid. Coming from an LG Dare, I dug that up and messed with it as much as I could and knew coming to Android the potential was there to do SOOO much more. So I crossed my fingers, used How to: Root Android 2.1 and Install Android 2.2 on Motorola DROID | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
to root my phone and have used this forum and a few others to do all sorts of stuff. I'm still learning but try to help others out to the level I'm at - knowing I got plenty of help when I started out. Granted, I was a network admin for a few years and still do computer "help desk" duties at times, but I still learn all the time. You just have to know that as long as you make a backup of your stuff before you do anything, you can almost always recover from a screw up. When people talk about a "bricked" phone, it often times really isn't - you can often still use RSDLite or adb and push something to it to fix things.

I use PDANet and easy tether to use my phone as a modem on my laptop on occasion. You don't need root to do that because a few other guys at work use it too - and I KNOW they don't have root. You need PDANet installed on both the phone and the phone though. You only need PDANet pro if you use sites that are secure. I haven't needed it yet.

Also, before installing ROMs, I use "SMS Backup" and "Call Log Backup" to back up those things, just to make sure I have multiple backups. Then back up apps & user data both in Titanium Backup and using ChevyNo1's bkapps script to backup and restore everything. Overkill, maybe, but I'm never disappointed in the end. :)

Last edited:

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
RE: donelam304

I did download it all the way. Even re-downloaded it 2 times. And how do I know if it unrootedd.

Just to clarify, you ran through the steps to root your phone as well, correct? Not just downloading ROMs and expecting *that* to root your phone?

After years of help desk work, I found starting from the very beginning often catches the simple things quickly to solve the problem faster. So no offense if I come off a little....harsh is it?

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
RE: donelam304

I did download it all the way. Even re-downloaded it 2 times. And how do I know if it unrootedd.

Scroll through your apps list and see if you have a little guy that looks like this:
SuperUserPermissions.jpg

If not, you may not be rooted.

Last edited:

donelam304

Reaction score
Yes, I rooted it. Done the whole hold the up key on power up. And then hold the X key on power up. The renaming of the rom to update.zip.

Yes I have the super ninja guy addon.

donelam304

Reaction score
Ok. I just tried the up key and power up. And I get the screen when you do the SPRecovery. Then I tried the X key and power up. I get nothing. It just keeps rebooting. Then when I let off the X key. I get the little saphire gem design and the phone boots all the way.

Using all the addons ya'll have mentioned and letting them download all the way. I even tried the install from the SD card. And when it boots up I get the unlock screen and then the choice to go to launcher pro or 1 other one.

OP
M

mrsomis805

Reaction score
Ya i wish i didnt have to root and mess with vzw's terms but now it looks like its that or i go buy a droid x and i dont really have the cash to burn right now. Why cant they just include the wi-fi tether in the froyo for droid.

And to answer that other guys question, good luck buddy. I can't get mine to work properly either. It just keeps saying i dont have authorization. Keep me posted if you figure anything out please and i'l do the same for you.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

donelam304

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks man. On the tethering. I use PDAnet. It works great. I had like 2 weeks or 30 days free. Then I bought the full version. I tether all the time with my laptop. And just the other day I made a wifi hotspot while doing some work for uncle sam in colorado. And everyone had iPhones was amaized. Lol. And said they wish they could do that. Lol.

OP
M

mrsomis805

Reaction score
What do you mean do i have a shortcut? I definitely have the little ninja as an app. I dont know anything about downloading roms or transferring them to sd or any of that. All I know how to do is follow instructions and download apps. Can you guys make it simple step by step for me. Like i said i just used the easy root app but still cant seem to gain superuser access.

OP
M

mrsomis805

Reaction score
I have pda net and have used it for a long time with great success but it does not allow me to make my phone a wi-fi hot spot. just enable bluetooth or usb tether. I want to run my nintendo wii off my phone and it only has wi-fi. Plus the 2.2 froyo comes with a usb tether feature.

OP
M

mrsomis805

Reaction score
Wow sorry for all the consecutive posts. Just tried the 2.2 tether and freakin verizon wants to charge me $20 dollars more a month for it. Screw that! I'm gonna learn to hack this beast if its the last thing i do!

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
@ mrsomis805

What do you mean do i have a shortcut? I definitely have the little ninja as an app. I dont know anything about downloading roms or transferring them to sd or any of that. All I know how to do is follow instructions and download apps. Can you guys make it simple step by step for me. Like i said i just used the easy root app but still cant seem to gain superuser access.

Ok, with 2 people on here, it's getting hard to help each of you without confusing each of you. So check the top of each post for the bold print. I'm started posting your names for the response that refers to each of you. That should help keep each separate - maybe. :)

Yes, you have the shortcut, which I saw when Jonny asked.

Do you have ROM Manager? If not, go download that from the market. We'll go from there.

It's after midnight here so I may not be on much longer since I have to get up for work in less than 5 hours. But I'll do what I can tonight (and tomorrow) if nobody else jumps in to pick up.

OP
M

mrsomis805

Reaction score
Yes i have rom manager already but i dont know what to do with it. If you need to go i understand. Im not in any huge hurry, i just want to finish what i started

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
@ mrsomis805

I have pda net and have used it for a long time with great success but it does not allow me to make my phone a wi-fi hot spot. just enable bluetooth or usb tether. I want to run my nintendo wii off my phone and it only has wi-fi. Plus the 2.2 froyo comes with a usb tether feature.

Just so you know, the connection speed will be very slow - maybe half the speed of DSL or slower. I looked into using it with my xBox and if you are doing anything that requires quick data transfer, like playing against other people, you will lag big time.