Hello, I'm New to the Droid

BTRay

Reaction score
I ordered a Droid X from Verizon this morning. I have been using a Pantech 820 that was probably made before most of you were born. I've heard many good things about the Android system. My family has been using Verizon for at least a decade. I'm retired but I still use Outlook as though I was working. Now I have the REALLY important things in my calendar such as meet wife for lunch, take out the trash, unload dishwasher, etc. I have been using Outlook Notes for a long time as well, though I'd like to switch to OneNote 2010. I have everything in notes from the shopping list at the local hardware store, to the books I have from my favorite authors (so I don't by a second copy), to jazz wanted, 60s rock wanted, etc. I still have maybe 3000 contacts, mostly my former engineering students. My greatest fear is how to sync this stuff to the Droid. A younger friend with a Droid suggested that I will need to become more "Google-ized" to sync my stuff.

All help would be appreciated,

Bill

Wuzz Ranger

Reaction score
First, welcome Bill, you have come to the right spot. Google and Android are a beautiful thing together. You will need to get "Google-ized" though. Outlook will not sync with the Droid X.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
:welcome: to the forum!

Standard rules apply:

Play nice. No flames. Keep it clean. Keep it family friendly. Don’t double-post. Don't feed the Mods, SMods, or Admins. They'll follow you home if you do, so really, it's for your own protection. (And do you really want to explain to your loved ones that, no matter how cute he or she is, you really want to keep them?)

So, glad to have you on board! Have fun! :)

As for your syncing issue, go to the Market and do a search for outlook notes so you can see if there's an app that will sync that for you either via WiFi or USB. Good luck!

OP
B

BTRay

Reaction score
Well, if it won't sync with Outlook 2010 (64 bit) then it's going back home. I read in one of the posts that there is a calendar/contacts program that can be purchased for the Droid that will sync with Outlook. Know anything about that?

IamGov

Reaction score
Get Google sync on your computer. You can send your outlook calendar this way. Get G tasks to sync your todo lists and notes.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have an Exchange account and I am able to sync my contacts. I use the Corporate email app and when I set up my account I check sync contacts.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

OP
B

BTRay

Reaction score
Newbie Heaven!

Well, my fears were not realized. I was really worried about syncing my new Droid X with Outlook 2010 64-bit, running on a i3 with Windows 7 64-bit. Last night I found a lot of info about gSyncit. I didn't realize that the first reviews and comments I read, which were mostly negative, were several years old. The more recent reviews and comments I found were almost all positive. Since I now have almost eight hours experience with gSyncit, and about 6 hours with the Droid X, I thought I'd add my thoughts. First the negative (?), if it is that. gSyncit costs about $20. I downloaded it, and went through the install. I set up a Gmail account, which was easy. Then I set the required sync parameters in gSyncit which must have taken at least 5 or 10 minutes. The first time I synced Outlook to Google I was afraid it would take a long time, so I synced Tasks, then Notes, then Contacts, and finally Calendar. The whole process took less than one hour even though I have about 2000 contacts and many calendar entries. It went VERY smoothly. I am impressed with gSyncit. I had all this done before my Droid arrived! That sync went smoothly as well. :)

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
<---- see screen name! ;)

Well, my fears were not realized. I was really worried about syncing my new Droid X with Outlook 2010 64-bit, running on a i3 with Windows 7 64-bit. Last night I found a lot of info about gSyncit. I didn't realize that the first reviews and comments I read, which were mostly negative, were several years old. The more recent reviews and comments I found were almost all positive. Since I now have almost eight hours experience with gSyncit, and about 6 hours with the Droid X, I thought I'd add my thoughts. First the negative (?), if it is that. gSyncit costs about $20. I downloaded it, and went through the install. I set up a Gmail account, which was easy. Then I set the required sync parameters in gSyncit which must have taken at least 5 or 10 minutes. The first time I synced Outlook to Google I was afraid it would take a long time, so I synced Tasks, then Notes, then Contacts, and finally Calendar. The whole process took less than one hour even though I have about 2000 contacts and many calendar entries. It went VERY smoothly. I am impressed with gSyncit. I had all this done before my Droid arrived! That sync went smoothly as well. :)

DroidForums junkie!!

ftajeffrey

Reaction score
I ordered a Droid X from Verizon this morning. I have been using a Pantech 820 that was probably made before most of you were born. I've heard many good things about the Android system. My family has been using Verizon for at least a decade. I'm retired but I still use Outlook as though I was working. Now I have the REALLY important things in my calendar such as meet wife for lunch, take out the trash, unload dishwasher, etc. I have been using Outlook Notes for a long time as well, though I'd like to switch to OneNote 2010. I have everything in notes from the shopping list at the local hardware store, to the books I have from my favorite authors (so I don't by a second copy), to jazz wanted, 60s rock wanted, etc. I still have maybe 3000 contacts, mostly my former engineering students. My greatest fear is how to sync this stuff to the Droid. A younger friend with a Droid suggested that I will need to become more "Google-ized" to sync my stuff.

All help would be appreciated,

Bill

First, welcome to droid and this forum.

Second, you are hilarious!

Thrid, I'm 56 and wish I could skip lunch with the wife, forget the trash, and screw the diswasher. That I would put this in calander seems absurd to me.

Lastly, 3000 contacts! Hope you're well originised. However, once placed on you phone, google sync will back these up for you, as least from my experience.

Again, welcome to droid and especially this forum.

Last edited:
OP
B

BTRay

Reaction score
Well, I'm 62. I am forgetful, and sometimes not too accurate. I've only got 2000 contacts now. I forgot that I'd thinned out former students using the "Who the hell was that?" criteria. I think one more thinning and I'd be down to a more manageable number of contacts. I still keep in touch with SOME people at places I used to work, too. I've got a lot of woodworking contacts and most importantly, restaurants. I'm fond of eating even if I've had to slow down on that the last few years. Then there's my inlaws. I don't have all of them in there, only 500 or 600. They are a prolific lot. We're an exception, one daughter, 16. You have a good weekend. I'm driving my wife, daughter, and her best friend to St. Louis (100 mi) for a shopping spree. Most of my shopping is done right here on the computer. I'm going to the Barnes & Noble and play with my new phone, read or listen to a book. I discovered iPods are great for audiobooks and you don't have to turn pages.
Bill