hello ice goodbye battery ...

blackterry

Reaction score
Not much to say other than now my battery life sux. I think ice is great but what used to be a powerful business tool is now a kids toy. The iphone is looking better everyday. This sux I loved this phone.

Last edited:

Phreaker47

Reaction score
Use Smart Actions (or setting profiles or tasker, etc) and optimize things. Have things like GPS and WiFi turned off when you don't need them.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Not much to say other than now my battery life sux. I think ice is great but what used to be a powerful business tool is now a kids toy. The iphone is looking better everyday. This sux I loved this phone.
In addition to what Phreaker47 says, try turning your display down to as low as you can tolerate, check to see what widgets you have running and if you don't really need one or use one very often then get rid of it. As an alternative to SmartActions try using Juice Defender, there is a free and a paid version on Google Play...I think it does a better job than Smart Actions.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Moving to the battery sub forum :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

WestOkid

Reaction score
something else is wrong with this update. I had the same settings with GB. With GB, if I forgot to plug in the charger overnight, I would use 10%. With ICS its like 5% an hour attributed to android system. It's even worse when using the phone. The screen drain is 80+ % unless you turn brightness to near zero. I always used auto prior to ICS. I love the look and feel of ICS, but the phone has become a dog.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jtc303

Reaction score
jpcalhoun said:
In addition to what Phreaker47 says, try turning your display down to as low as you can tolerate, check to see what widgets you have running and if you don't really need one or use one very often then get rid of it. As an alternative to SmartActions try using Juice Defender, there is a free and a paid version on Google Play...I think it does a better job than Smart Actions.

Agreed... i use SA for some stuff but i found JD is best at handling screen on/off connectivity

jtc303

Reaction score
WestOkid said:
something else is wrong with this update. I had the same settings with GB. With GB, if I forgot to plug in the charger overnight, I would use 10%. With ICS its like 5% an hour attributed to android system. It's even worse when using the phone. The screen drain is 80+ % unless you turn brightness to near zero. I always used auto prior to ICS. I love the look and feel of ICS, but the phone has become a dog.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Are you rooted? If not.. i suggest doing so you csn freeze stuff... i can easily get 2 days on one charge

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I've said it on other threads, so I'll say it here too. The update OTA to ICS MAY have wiped out the Meter's Full charge and Low battery flags. I recommend everyone run through a meter training as follows:
  1. Power off the phone at the next opportunity when you won't need it for 3 hours (RAZR), or 5.5 hours (MAXX). To power off, press and hold the power button, then select "Power off" from the menu.
  2. Plug the phone into the STOCK Motorola Charger block and the STOCK Motorola Charging/USB cable. The phone will boot into "Charge only" mode, display a large animated Blue battery and show a percentage of charge level.
  3. Allow the phone to charge to 100%. To check progress at any time along the way, briefly tap either Volume up or down. In about 3 seconds the Animated battery will appear for about 10 seconds. DO NOT hit the POWER button, and DO NOT disconnect UNTIL the display says 100%.
  4. Once it reaches 100%, disconnect and remove from the charger, and then power up normally.
  5. Use the phone normally, but watch the remaining battery power and once it reaches 10% (used to be 15%), the phone will pop up a warning to plug in and charge.
  6. Once the pop-up to charge appears, repeat steps 1 through 4.
This will restore the proper charge capacity flags for the meter so that in the future the phone will know accurately both how much the battery can actually hold, and how much is remaining at any given time, so it doesn't display false information that leads you to believe the phone is consuming more power than it actually is.

JAlecMurphy

Reaction score
FoxKat -

Thanks for the succinct instructions. I'm hoping they will at least give me a working phone again. Hard to try out any of the power management tips found in this discussion when my Razr is at 0% and doesn't seem to charging at all.

For what ever reason, when I plugged into my stock AC charger and cable last night, and I think my phone was at 80%, my phone still managed to drain to zero by morning. I've had the unit plugged in as you instructed for over an hour and it's still at 0%. Is there some app running whose consumption outpaces even the simultaneous charging? Is some sort of reset required to get it to consume as little power as possible long enough to get a charge on the phone? Like most people, I've become pretty dependent on my phone. I can't burn whole days waiting to see if it will finally take a charge trying one technique after another.

Until the ICS update, I didn't really have to do a lot of power management. I plugged into my AC or Car charger at least once a day, kept ahead of a low battery state, and life was good. It's clear that even with a recalibration of the power management features you prescribe, I'm going to need to start learning the power consumption profile of my phone and it's apps from now on.

Any insight you can provide would be appreciated....