Hello, I would like a little assistance.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Mr Bear, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Mr Bear

Mr Bear New Member

Hello everyone. I have had my Droid 2 since August 29th. I just fell upon this site today. Although I have heard of rooting my droid and all these other things I never really knew what were the advantages of rooting my droid.. I know there are SO SO many things you can do with a droid but I honestly still haven't found out what I can do exactly. I'm curious as to see what exactly are the advantages of rooting my Droid 2? What exactly does it do? I also noticed that there are custom themes that you can install on a Droid but i am so clueless as to how.. I would really appreciate ANYBODY that would like to take me under their wing and help out a Droid 2 Virgin..

Thanks in advance - Bear.
  2. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Long and short of it, rooting is the same as administrative access to your phone -- you gain the ability to modify any software on the phone (more or less).

You gain: free tethering over bluetooth and WiFi, the ability to theme, one-touch backups, screenshots, and the ability to remove the crapware that VZW puts on your phone.

If it's something you're interested in doing, we can get you pointed in the right direction.
  3. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan DF Super Moderator

Hello Mr. Bear....Welcome to droidforums. I have moved your thread to the hacking help forum.
  4. Mr Bear

Mr Bear New Member

Thanks. I really am interested in rooting my phone. I have a question though.. people talk about apps that require your phone to be rooted. Do those apps benefit you tremendously or is it just based on user preference?

If you can help me get my phone rooted and a good ROM to run on it I would greatly appreciate that. I just hope it's not too difficult since I'm not sure on half of the things going on.
  5. LtKen

LtKen New Member

The apps that require root are really dependent on the user. Aside from tethering, I dont really use any root-required apps on a regular basis.

If I were you'd I'd start with just root for now, and see what you like about it before jumping into custom ROMs. There are several stickies in the D2 forum that will contain the HOW of rooting the D2, and several stickies in the D! forum that contain the WHAT and WHY.

Do some reading, and see how far you can get on your own -- part of the fun is the learning curve.

Goodluck.
  6. Mr Bear

Mr Bear New Member

I JUST finished pm'ing you. Thanks though, I'm going to root my phone now. No real harm in that is there?
  7. LtKen

LtKen New Member

And I just responded.

No real harm. Technically, it voids your warranty, but it's all un-do-able in case something happens.