Hello, Fellow Droid Owners!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by drglenn, Oct 10, 2010.

1. drglenn

drglenn New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, Fellow Droid Owners! I have been a casual observer on this site for a short while, and decided to introduce myself. I have come looking for answers to questions that many of you may regard as "obvious" - but there must also be many of you who are just scratching your heads, as I am, with the whole and vast array of new terms, acronyms and jargon that comes with new technology.

I have recently rooted my Droid Incredible, and would like to try out a few custom ROMs, kernels, etc., but have no real idea where to go from here. I have paid versions of ROMManager and Titanium, but there seems to be nowhere to find good, detailed instructions or explanations on how best to use these things, what order should be followed, what all the possible choices do or even mean, and, if one experiments, how to get back to where you started if you don't like the results. Then there are the difficulties trying to figure out the differences between all the different flavors of all these custom choices!

Just for starters, here are some of the things I'd like to accomplish (but I also want to know what I might be giving up):

I'd like my Incredible to be faster when I need it to be (using the internet, starting up, making back-ups), yet more efficient when it's just sitting around waiting for a phone call. Of course, I want all the Verizon-imposed restrictions lifted "just because" - you never know when you might need to do something and run into some imposed limitation. I want to be able to use as much of my 32 GB SD card as possible, while being able to keep the phone memory lean and clean - yet I want to be able to make sure the phone can find all this stuff stored on the card when something goes wrong - and it always does! I want to make sure the Market or AppBrain remembers everything I've ever downloaded in case I need to start from scratch.

I also want to know, when I'm looking through lists of unexplained directories, what I'm looking AT (how to find things, where to look, what I can, should and shouldn't trash, etc.)! I hope I can find these answers here, (and in a way I can understand the answers!), and use this information - while continuing to learn more about what's under the hood, and how to apply this new-found knowledge to future situations. Cheers!

-Dr. G

2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Welcome! Good to have you. Check out the entire section for the Incredible, especially the hacking section in the Forum.

Mike

3. Bilgediver

Bilgediver Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I know there is a section, but a quick reply to some quick help:

Another great paid app is called "SetCPU", which overclocks when you need it, yet underclocks when you don't. It also has built-in profiles for limiting the clock speed when battery reaches a certain percentage or when temperature gets too high, or even when the screen is off!

The rest of it can probably be more specifically answered in the Droid Incredible forum.

4. drglenn

drglenn New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. Got SetCPU already, but I appreciate your suggestion. Right now I have much bigger problems! Maybe you can offer a suggestion for this:

I tried my first custom ROM - the latest Cyanogen build. The good news: the phone starts up. That's ALL the good news. None of my apps are available. ROM Manager is in non-paid mode. Titanium is gone. There's no Market or AppBrain app. I have no idea how to get to the contents of my SD card other than to connect it to my 'puter. What now?

5. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I've not run Cyanogen for quite some time but it seems that you may need to install the gapps update. Check the cyanogen site.

Moving to the hacking section

6. drglenn

drglenn New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!

Oooops! ROM Manager failed to install the Google apps (I DID select for it to be installed). This helped a lot. Thanks!

Search tags for this page

maylong m-150 battery replacement

origional owner of helloandroidcom