Hello everyone

Herobrine

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC Incredible
New member, short time lurker. Found these forums after getting my Droid X2 last Christmas (used and refurbished), now after half a year of abuse (getting hit with water, a couple drops - including one off the first drop on a roller coaster, and a few bang ups), the phone finally quit on me.

Brought it into the ocean sealed in a sandwich baggie. I thought the Superman keychain that gave it pretty good luck before would work this time but it turns out, water got into the bag somehow (insides were pretty moist when I opened it up - no puddles though), even after I checked to make sure there were no holes in the top. I think a wave did it in.

After reading up on waterlogged devices and getting them as close to normal as possible, I realized I made a few mistakes.
- I tried powering it on to check the time on the phone, but it wouldn't cut on. I accidentally did it a few more times, switching the batteries out from a different phone, but I guess that was a huge mistake.
- I opened the back but didn't notice anything wrong. It was completely dry inside, so I attempted to wipe whatever sand/water I saw inside, pulling the battery out, making sure that was dry, and sticking it back in. Didn't realize the water sensor inside was active until I read up on it.
- I left the phone out in the sun to hopefully evaporate any water that was inside, but the device heated up pretty badly, so I stuck it in a cool place. There were water bubbles in the camera and on the screen, but I think that leaving it out might've done a number on the innards.
- I attempted to charge the phone on a wall charger and nothing happened. Did the same on my PC charger and I got the green charging light but nothing more.
- Oh and I made the mistake of not rooting the thing when I had the chance, so all my game data, photos saved to the phone, and mp3 files are probably long gone now. I tried finding ways to back up my device without rooting, but doing that required more work than just wiping the device and rooting from there.

Now the phone is sitting in my desk in a plastic baggie about 1/3 filled with rice (since we're low on it right now) and about 4-5 silica gel packets. Pulled the battery out when I realized leaving it in could damage it further but I'm pretty sure its too late for that.

- Any chance treating it with water could remove whatever salt's left in the device or did I have to do it earlier? Not sure if I have any distilled available but I read that freshwater in general would do that.

I don't have any compressed air at home and even then, I'm not skilled enough to pull a phone apart and put it back together in one piece so blowing out the components that way won't work. Unless all I need to do is just blow out the outside portions and whatever's underneath the battery cover.

I'm hoping that the phone pulls through and the damage is minor, but I have a feeling all those mistakes I made really just messed up the phone even further so it's pretty much bricked now.

Fortunately the battery and SIM card made it out of the Atlantic OK. That's really all that matters right now since the phone is likely a lost cause at this point.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Welcome to the Forum. Looks like it's a wait and see. Not much more can be done.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome...welcome to the forum...

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
Unfortunately it does seem you made every mistake except throw it against the wall in frustration BUT that doesn't mean it's gone for good AND there are companies out there that have very good track records for recovering water damaged phones back to full life and they can often do so at a very reasonable price.
Depending on where you live, there might be one locally or, as in the case of the ones near me, they have the ability to mail in your phone, diagnose and give an estimate. I'm not pushing my local one, just using it as an example . Cellphone Repair Technicians out of Richmond Virginia
http://www.cellphonetechnicians.com/

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6
OP
Herobrine

Herobrine

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC Incredible
Depending on where you live, there might be one locally or, as in the case of the ones near me, they have the ability to mail in your phone, diagnose and give an estimate. I'm not pushing my local one, just using it as an example . Cellphone Repair Technicians out of Richmond Virginia
http://www.cellphonetechnicians.com/

I actually don't live too far from there. I'll consider using that service or a closer one if available.

Quick update
A friend fortunately is trying to unload his old HTC phone and I decided to take him up on the offer. It won't get me my game data back but it's close enough. Hopefully it runs on the same version of Android as the X2 or better. It should arrive by around mid-week next week.

I'll check back on the phone in about a day or two to see if anything worked, but after abusing it, I have a feeling I won't get it back until next week-ish at the earliest.

OP
Herobrine

Herobrine

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC Incredible
Next update, phone is still dead. I think its pretty much a lost cause at this point. I'll try to charge it/cut it on again in a few days.

I'm also tempted to use a phone repair service, but I'm pretty sure the phone in its current state is better off being trashed. Fortunately it didn't cost much to purchase, but breaking it kinda put me in a bad mood this past week.

- This is why I can't have nice things.
D