Hello Bean ETA?

SamuelMSr

Reaction score
Jelly Bean ETA?

Does anyone have any idea when we might get the official release of jellybean?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
No official word, but the source is supposed to drop fairly soon, within a week or two I think.

As for when you'll get the official OTA JB, I wouldn't count on Verizon releasing it anytime soon after source. They botched the 4.0.4 update and I see no reason to think they'll do any different with a major update.

You could also root and ROM, I'm running JB right now:p

OP
SamuelMSr

SamuelMSr

Reaction score
No official word, but the source is supposed to drop fairly soon, within a week or two I think.

As for when you'll get the official OTA JB, I wouldn't count on Verizon releasing it anytime soon after source. They botched the 4.0.4 update and I see no reason to think they'll do any different with a major update.

You could also root and ROM, I'm running JB right now:p

I have been considering doing just that but I have everything set up just the way I want it and don't want to start over right now.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have been considering doing just that but I have everything set up just the way I want it and don't want to start over right now.

You can make a nandroid backup of the stock ROM and it keeps everything all set up for ya. You will have to start with a fresh install of JB of course, but if you wanted to try it out just see what you're missing you can. Careful though, I don't think you can go back to ICS once you been spoiled by JB, I know I can't :D

OP
SamuelMSr

SamuelMSr

Reaction score
You can make a nandroid backup of the stock ROM and it keeps everything all set up for ya. You will have to start with a fresh install of JB of course, but if you wanted to try it out just see what you're missing you can. Careful though, I don't think you can go back to ICS once you been spoiled by JB, I know I can't :D

I guess my thing is setting up all my apps again. It just takes forever and I lose all my games saves...

immortal_ben

Reaction score
Dude, just make a TiBu and restore apps and app data. I flash all the time and always have my games restored.

Also, my home screens and setup get restored.

OP
SamuelMSr

SamuelMSr

Reaction score
I will look into it later today I have only ever rooted the droid 3 so i have to learn it all on this phone now and figure out what is the best ROM to use.

immortal_ben

Reaction score
I used Wugs Tool Kit to unlock and root. It did not go smoothy, but it worked.

If you want to try something super close to stock, try Jelly Belly. There are others out there which are more heavily modded, as much as possible without the source code.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Dude, just make a TiBu and restore apps and app data. I flash all the time and always have my games restored.

Also, my home screens and setup get restored.

You can't make a TiBu backup until you are rooted. To root you need to unlock. To unlock, your entire device would get wiped.

You can make a backup prior to unlocking with adb. Wug's toolkit has the option for those that don't want to do it manually.

immortal_ben

Reaction score
You can't make a TiBu backup until you are rooted. To root you need to unlock. To unlock, your entire device would get wiped.

You can make a backup prior to unlocking with adb. Wug's toolkit has the option for those that don't want to do it manually.

True, but I had missed that he wasn't rooted, earlier.

OP
SamuelMSr

SamuelMSr

Reaction score

Boooo that's no fun :-(

I will read up on it all after I sleep.

zero7404

Reaction score
i think any day now we should be getting the ota .....

since i got the gnex, wug's toolkit has been indispensible ... i like how unlocking and rooting can be done from the the toolkit, without having to install cwm recovery, but even more is how it allows a temp boot into cwm for backups/restores.

i think ota rootkeeper will help with keeping root so i can update to 4.1 then restore root.

i like options available in some roms like cm9, but so far straight vanilla rooted is more stable and functional than romming ....

posted via android ....