Hello and my e-mail won't work right!

redtruck

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I'm new here so please bear with me on this... My e-mail on my desktop is a pop3, I'm using Outlook. My ISP is opusnet.com I never had an e-mail problem with my Palm Treo and haven't changed any settings since I upgraded to the Motorola Droid. The Droid WILL NOT store any e-mails in the inbox. It erases them whether I read them or not. They don't get sent to the trash. They don't "stack" or get stored. They just disappear. Sometimes they are not even forwarded to the Droid by the server. What is going on and why can't I fix this problem? I need to save e-mails and not have them dropped all the time. What is the fix? Why can no one help?

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I'm new here so please bear with me on this... My e-mail on my desktop is a pop3, I'm using Outlook. My ISP is opusnet.com I never had an e-mail problem with my Palm Treo and haven't changed any settings since I upgraded to the Motorola Droid. The Droid WILL NOT store any e-mails in the inbox. It erases them whether I read them or not. They don't get sent to the trash. They don't "stack" or get stored. They just disappear. Sometimes they are not even forwarded to the Droid by the server. What is going on and why can't I fix this problem? I need to save e-mails and not have them dropped all the time. What is the fix? Why can no one help?

Welcome to the forum, redtruck! I never had to set up Droid with Outlook (I have Exchange), but I'll bump you someone else can help you out! I,hope you enjoy your time here!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Truck, the problem is that the mail program "sort " of syncs Property mail. When you download your email to you computer the Droids email program then checks the email server and finds it empty, it assumes you have read them and it removes them from the Droid. I read of a way to move the emails to a diiferent folder, but I don't remember how right now and I'm already I'm bed. I'll search out the solution for you in the AM. I do know that one way to do it is to forward you Property mail to your Gmail account as the Gmail app doesn't do that. But I'll get you a better solution tomorrow.

Welcome aboard! !

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, it's tomorrow and I don't really have a great answer for you. I did search but could not find the thread/post I remember reading. It talked about the ability to create a new folder and then move the emails to it that you wanted to keep. I'm sorry, I can't find that info.

I can tell you that when I need to keep an email all I do it to send it to my Gmail. Gmail does delete when you delete it from the Gmail server, but not until. So as long as leave it on the server, it stays one the Droid.

Also, for your pop3 email you may want to check out K-9. It is a better mail program than the native one. Good luck and sorry I didn't come through for you. I'll keep my eye out because I know there is a way to do what you need.

Good luck.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
First :welcome: to the forums. I like it when somebody gives a clear description of their problem in their title.

I think the best way to accomplish this from everything I read is to have the mail forwarded to gmail. Here's a link for configuration:
Supported IMAP client list - Gmail Help

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
First :welcome: to the forums. I like it when somebody gives a clear description of their problem in their title.

I think the best way to accomplish this from everything I read is to have the mail forwarded to gmail. Here's a link for configuration:
Supported IMAP client list - Gmail Help

Thanks hook. I just setup this per your link. I'll see how it works.

knowbrain

Reaction score
Solution

I use Outlook and have the Droid X and I had the same problem. My outlook was configured to leave messages on the server; however, under POP settings in Gmail, I had not changed the setting that deletes Gmails copy when accessed via POP. So I too was losing emails off the Droid. Problem is now solved for me.

In Outlook, go to Account Settings - Change Account Settings, and on the More Settings page go to the Advanced tab and make sure "Leave a copy of messages on the server" is checked.

In Gmail go to Settings - Forwarding and POP/Imap and #2 under POP download lets you choose what to do with messages after they are POP accessed. I chose "Keep Gmail's Copy in the Inbox".