Hello and assistance

Mac.World

Reaction score
As you may have guessed I am a Mac user, based on my name. However, I am beginning my research into Android phones and starting on this forum, so any assistance is appreciated.

I currently have an old iPhone 3GS and living in Europe, but will be moving back to the States in September. Essentially, I have decided to switch to an Android phone. I blame my iPad2 for giving me a reason to switch. I see no need to have an iPhone, while i have an iPad and to be honest I want an active homescreen, better notifications, widgets, etc... you get the idea and no need to bash Apple here. I know exactly what they can and can't do.

Here is where I would like your input. I will be going with Verizon (as the area I will be living has better Verizon coverage) and am looking for a phone that has the least amount of bloatware added to it, has full Google support (in other words, when a new OS is available I will get an OTA update immediately), is running at least 2.2 and costs under $200 with a 1 or 2 year contract. What do you recommend?

I will be doing research into this, but I think I can get some valuable input from this board, while I scour the internet. Thanks in advance.

Mods: If this is not in the correct forum, I apologize. If it needs to be moved, completely understand.

Wadman

Reaction score
As you may have guessed I am a Mac user, based on my name. However, I am beginning my research into Android phones and starting on this forum, so any assistance is appreciated.

I currently have an old iPhone 3GS and living in Europe, but will be moving back to the States in September. Essentially, I have decided to switch to an Android phone. I blame my iPad2 for giving me a reason to switch. I see no need to have an iPhone, while i have an iPad and to be honest I want an active homescreen, better notifications, widgets, etc... you get the idea and no need to bash Apple here. I know exactly what they can and can't do.

Here is where I would like your input. I will be going with Verizon (as the area I will be living has better Verizon coverage) and am looking for a phone that has the least amount of bloatware added to it, has full Google support (in other words, when a new OS is available I will get an OTA update immediately), is running at least 2.2 and costs under $200 with a 1 or 2 year contract. What do you recommend?

I will be doing research into this, but I think I can get some valuable input from this board, while I scour the internet. Thanks in advance.

Mods: If this is not in the correct forum, I apologize. If it needs to be moved, completely understand.

I don't think there are many phones out right now that aren't going to be full of bloat. From what I've read, even the Thunderbolt has bloat. I guess the Original droid would be the fit for you if you were looking for something with no bloat on it and was totally open. But the OG droid isn't going to get many more updates I wouldn't think. If it were me. I would buy a Droid X and root it and then download a custom ROM. I am running Liberty 2.0 right now. In February they released 1.5 and a little over a month later they released an updated version. You aren't going to get updates from Moto or Verizon that fast. The DX is fast and by rooting you can overclock and remove bloat. You also have the option to wireles tether without paying the 20 bucks. That's my opinion. I am of course a little biased because I have an X. I had the Original Droid before that and loved it. The X blows it out of the water. Hope that helps?