Hello All

pauldf

Reaction score
Hi there. I thought I had already done this, but when I looked for my previous threads or any username I would usually use - I could find no trace! So I'm starting fresh.

I've had my Droid X from Verizon about 2 months now and like it a lot. I'm a corporate-type and am really missing my BlackBerry a bunch though. Like others I'm sort of frustrated by the steep learning curve on this device. I can see it's very powerful and like most powerful tools it's complicated, but I'm willing to learn if I can just get some friendly help - that's why I've joined.

I have a couple of issues right now that I will ask about here and probably also in the 'General' forum.

1. When Verizon copied over my contacts I ended up with duplicates of each of my 200+ contacts. Is there a easy way to delete the duplicates without doing it manually one by one?

2. I loaded a bunch of ringtones that the X did not originally recognize as ringtones even though they were being used on my BB. I downloaded the recommended ringtone app from the marketplace and now I can see them in that app and can convert them from music files to ringtones and can assign them to different contact's incoming ringtone, but those same ringtones do not show up when I go into my email apps and try to see/activate them as notifications - all I see are the default ones provided with the phone!! ARRRGGG!! Why?? I want to set a different ringtone to each type of email account I use and all other communications like text msgs. What do I need to do??

Thanks,

Paul

bkendrick

Reaction score
1. Delete the duplicate accounts from your google account and not your phone. As long as your contacts are organized with google then your phone will be organized.

2. I would drop my custom ringtones in the media folder on the internal memory. Must be rooted.

DX. CFU. LIB GB.7

tatuud

Reaction score
in my opinion the quickest way to set your contacts correctly is to go on to the Verizon website/back up assistant and export your correct contact list...put the file on your desk top for now. Then go into your google account and delete all of the contacts and then import your new list from your desk top...i believe its a csv file. now your google account will match what you had with verizon. i had to do this as well coming from a bb.

as far as your ringtones...connect your phone to your computer...when your phone shows connected pull down the notification bar and check off mass storage then hit ok. your computer will now create a drive, click on that and you will see all of the files currently on your droid. look for a media folder, if one is not there make your own, double click it and inside of that folder make one called ringtones and another called notifications. now you can take ringtones off of your computer and drop them in the appropriate folder...reboot your phone and they will now appear as either ringtones or notifications depending on what you need. hope this helps and wasn't too complicated.