Hello all!

Flyingbrad

Reaction score
Hi! My name is Brad, and I recently turned in my old Blackberry:blackberry: for a new Samsung Fascinate for free on black friday! (the "special" white cover edition)

Let me be totally honest here, :r_c:(no criticism please!) I entirely. COMPLETELY. miss the format of the blackberry and more importantly my BBM! And the entire accessibility of the blackberry's physical keys (texting sneakily during class) was all too convenient for me.
I've just been finding that texting quickly on the samsung fascinate is SUCH a hassle and nearly IMPOSSIBLE to do without typos (regardless of whether I'm using swype or actually pressing the "buttons"
From reviews and such, I've heard of the SUPERIORITY of the Samsung Fascinate and it's super awesomeness that reigns over all past smart phones, blah blah but I personally need help from android users like YOU to tell me.. will i get used to this? is this a persistent problem? etc

When I first got my blackberry I could go for AT LEAST 5 days without charging (WITH extraneous texting/bbming) and obviously the battery life got shorter and shorter (charge once per day) maybe one year after hard use.
But I've been experiencing with my Samsung that it runs out of battery consistently EVERY SINGLE DAY (with auto brightness, constant advanced task killing, non live-wallpaper, etc) I just don't understand what the battery will be like in one year after hard use. The way I see it is, it'll last maybe 3 hours a day when the second year comes around. :icon_eek:

Also, during the NEW stage of the blackberry, the phone's system was flawless. Never lagged and never needed resets.
I've had this phone for just under 2 weeks and I already had to do a battery pull, and the phone has already started to lag sometimes (example: screen goes black when loading something, home keys remain useless for a couple of seconds, eventually retains "consciousness") and it's not like the browser loads in a matter of seconds as shown in several youtube videos, regardless of me being on wifi or 3g/1g.
The marketplace sometimes even tells me that it cant load my search because i'm supposedly not connected to anything? uh..
anyway, I have yet to take off the plastic screen that came with the phone because I'm looking to get a new screen for the phone before i destroy it with fingerprints. so i also have yet to experience the super amoled screen.
as with the super amoled screen, i dont see when i'll ever need super high quality videos on my phone and even if i did, i'm scared to watch videos on my phone with the fear of it running out of batteries so freakin quickly!!!
one last thing... AND YES. i feel obnoxious complaining about a phone as a new member and on such a forum.
THE BLOATWARE IS KILLIN ME! I understand that such folders can help me organize on my HOMESCREEN, but it's itchin for organization in my appdrawer.. and i feel like i open that more than scroll through the screens!

I don't know, maybe the phone isn't for me, particularly cause it's just a touch screen typing screen... but i'm hoping i can get used to all these things.
I also plan to exchange it to a new fascinate thinking it might be the actual hardware that's giving me this lag.. :/ (and i understand that such superphones are not perfected as of now and are expected to lag.. but 2 weeks from purchase? really?)

So....What exactly makes this phone "to DIE for?" (quoted from best buy salesman)
Best Wishes,
Hopeful Android User- Brad

OP
F

Flyingbrad

Reaction score
bump? T.T
0 replies? Really? I feel extremely unwanted.....

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
totally understand. I miss my storm and I swore I wouldn't change but I did after much deliberation. I think all in all the OS is much better than BB. however the battery life does suck but im learning to deal with it. maybe give it a couple weeks b4 going back. personally im satisfied with my Global.

Aloha from Hawaii ... via D2G

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have found that once you get use to swype it is very easy to text and be sneaky. Once I memorized where keys are I can almost just slide my finger and barely be lookin if necessary. Battery life has gotten better on my D2 since I got it I believe. I am also a former storm 1 user myself and the BB OS was pretty much flawless but after a while with my D2 and gettin use to the new OS I love it. Android is very customizable once you root which is a plus I think but I hope it will work out for you like it did me. Enjoy

Sent from my D2

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
:welcome: to the forum. Theres a lot of former BB users here. Try ADW.Launcher in the market. Theres a way to setup the app drawer. Its been awhile since I've used it and forgot all the details. If constant advanced task killing means your using a task killer, then get rid of it. Your android manages your tasks as it needs to. Task killers can actually slows that down and lags. If you have any questions just ask. Enjoy your stay.

OP
F

Flyingbrad

Reaction score
I can't seem to find this adw.launcher.. x_X
it's in the suggested list of things to download but it's not actually there hahah i just see a bunch of themes.
and wait so do you mean to say that advanced task killer is actually hurting the performance of the phone? cause i feel like it kinda does help actually completely shut off things like browser, music player, games, etc

and honestly this is a huge question, one of the most important: WILL I GET USED TO THIS TOUCH SCREEN THING?! i need to be able to type fast!! :(

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
OP
F

Flyingbrad

Reaction score
thank you!
and its a little bit if a downer that I can't pocket text anymore :p
but im truly hoping that ill be able to type alot faster with this goddamn keyboard haha I hate how sometimes it "predicts" my words and starts to add crazy spaces inbetween letters!

collinjm01

Reaction score
I had a blackberry curve. On the flipside, i hated it and love my droid. but i really think youll start to like it when you get use to it. I remember when i got my droid1, i couldnt figure out how to call ppl, i didnt realize that there was a seperate 'app' for calling. but like i said i got use to it and began to love it, as i hope you do.
gotta question about it, ask it on here...you'll get an answer pretty quick.

also this might be some help... Samsung Fascinate Forum - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

hope all is well
-mike

OP
F

Flyingbrad

Reaction score
WOW Cjm,
Thank you for the information on the task killers! Now THERE's a mythbuster!
Anyway, I found that I didn't exactly enjoy the adw thing because it derived from my phone's original home design, made it very droid like, and that everytime I clicked Home it'd ask me which desktop I wanted to use. And there's no point in having a samsung if i'm going to use a droid style home, right? :p
Is there some way to make folders in the samsung apps drawer any other way?

And thank you collin. I'm actually pretty tech savvy and so thankfully I'm not too confused by the way this phone works. It's just alittle bit of pet peeves here and there...