Hello all, just a few questions

Alexeon

Reaction score
Hi all. I just wanted to ask a few things. I hope I put this thread in the right section of the forum. It seems to me like it would go here but if not, Im sorry.

First thing: I got my Droid in December and have a 2 year contract on it which means Im stuck with it for a while. So since Ill have it for a while I decided to see what else it can do aside from being a smartphone. That led me to this site.

I have since rooted my Droid and then just today updated it to 2.2 Froyo by following this guide:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...royo-step-step-installation-2.html#post528613

There are no problems so far but I have a few questions about the Droid rooting scene.

I have been running homebrew on my PSP since version 2.01, a few years ago. I dont know if my experience with PSP hacking is helpful at all with my Droid but I figure Id mention it.

Anyway, I notice that there are a lot of different ROMs out there for different versions of the firmware. Are there like different groups modifying the official firmware? I also read that some of these are the official firmware, like the 2.2 one. How were these obtained if they havent been released yet? Are they leaks or were they adapted from another phone? How would one go about seeing which firmware is better from all those out there? What should I look for?

Sorry if these questions are a bit vague but I tried searching and I couldnt find a response...

Thanks again.

dancedroid

EDIT: One more thing, I redownloaded DMUpdater since I installed 2.2 and it says my Droid is not rooted. Obviously it is but it offers to root it for me. I havent let it. Should I let it or should I ignore it?

Last edited:

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
As far as the "firmware" 2.2 is what you want. Just let it be at that.
When looking at ROM's, you need to study them and see what they are good at. It's just one guy making a ROM for certain functions. All ROM's will do the basics. What the differences are mainly are stability, speed, battery life, combinations of these things and more. You can change speeds with kernels. Each rom uses different kernels for the most part. This forum is about ROM's that are stable and not bleeding edge. For that you need blackdroid forum.
Personally I use the Bugless Beast. BB 0.4, I like red so I use the red glass theme. BB comes standard at 800mhz (which is faster than stock) and has excellent battery life and is extremely stable.

OP
A

Alexeon

Reaction score
OK thanks. I was getting worried no one saw my thread. I appreciate it.