Hello all. I'm new and need some help.

vkw619

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I got a Droid 2 Global back in about Feb. as an early birthday present (had an old LG Voyager that I couldn't stand anymore). Now I have the phone and love it. I use it so much I went out and bought the extended battery from Verizon with my left over birthday money. Now this was really my first ever interaction with Android OS and I think over time I'm getting better.

Now here is the help I need.

I want to customize my Droid a ton. I go around the forums and see things that blow my MIND. I just can't figure out how to do ANYTHING. I've searched and searched but nothing. Like how to use Launcher Pro or any other home launcher? How to customize my screens? I see things like what I have attached and just get blown away. (There are tons more pictures I found but I can't seem to locate the threads anymore of things I saw that looked even better) The third picture being the best example of something I find to be sleek and something I'd love to have but have no clue how to get it.

And I want that. I want to show off my phone and I want to get it to look like MY phone not just what I have now which is a background of my favorite band and some Facebook/Twitter widgets. I have been searching around for a long time. I'm not sure if I have to root and get certain themes to get my phone a certain way (I'm currently running stock everything including Blur) and people I talk to about Android phones (especially Droids) say that you can customize so much and they look amazing yet I can't find an app or anything that guides me along or shows me how to get my Droid to look like all of these other phones.

Please help me? I've posted here once before with a quick question and was helped but now I'm looking to find a way to get my phone to become something better and more of something for me.

Also random question (As if that wasn't enough) if I want to purchase an App from the app store (I haven't yet just got free ones) how does the charge work? I've looked at Beautiful Widgets but I don't think buying an App would fly with my parents. Does it just get charged to your account at the end of the month? Is there any good free alternatives to BW?

Thanks everyone.

MissSpiffy

Reaction score
Rooting is not something you have to do to customize your phone, and in fact stock Android is all about doing just that. Rooting is often more about what goes on behind the shiny.

You need a credit card to buy an app, because the Google market is separate from your phone bill. They're paying 30/month for you to have the phone, why won't they help out with a couple bucks? Either that or find an older friend :p.

For starters, I recommend Beautiful Widgets. It's a couple of bucks but it's awesome, and works on tablets too. I mostly use mine to constantly re-skin my clock and weather. Using it is very easy, once you add the widget, hitting the weather will take you to the weather panel, where using Menu will let you customize. Just play with the different options and experiment. There might be an alternative but I'm not familiar with it because I use beautiful widgets; the others I've caught glimpses of are wannabes.

I've used Launcher Pro and it's awesome, but right now I'm using Ex Launcher because I like how it handles the app drawer and folders (I can add a background to app drawer). To customize these home replacements, you just hit Menu from your home screen, and choose Preferences. Again you'll really just need to play around with the different settings, that's how you'll learn the most. Most of these homes also have Themes you can use.

You'll also want somewhere to get high quality images from, like Zedge or Flikie. There are some Awesome Live Wallpapers out there if you don't want to broadcast your band, pets, friends, family, or self on the homescreen...like: Asteroid Belt, Blue Skies, Galaxy Series by Maxelus.net, Nightfall Live Wallpaper, Starlight Live Wallpaper, Thunderstorm, Anipet Aquiarium, and much much more. Those are just the ones I have installed ATM.

Another thing I used for awhile was Apps Organizer, which enabled you to create folders, and then choose your own image. It would recognize any icon pack made for any other app.

Another fav are apps to customize your texting like Handcent, or Go SMS which I use because it's made by the same people who make my Ex Launcher. You'll want to install some font packs from the market, doesn't matter if they aren't made for the app. You'll have fun customizing your font type and color, font boxes, and background images.

I get the idea you really want someone to walk you through the entire thing, but really it's about your own personal flair, and just experimenting, but I really don't want to try to detail each option for each app.

Last edited:
OP
V

vkw619

Reaction score
Rooting is not something you have to do to customize your phone, and in fact stock Android is all about doing just that. Rooting is often more about what goes on behind the shiny.

For starters, I recommend Beautiful Widgets. It's a couple of bucks but it's awesome, and works on tablets too. I mostly use mine to constantly re-skin my clock and weather. Using it is very easy, once you add the widget, hitting the weather will take you to the weather panel, where using Menu will let you customize. Just play with the different options and experiment.

I've used Launcher Pro and it's awesome, but right now I'm using Ex Launcher because I like how it handles the app drawer and folders (I can add a background to app drawer). To customize these home replacements, you just hit Menu from your home screen, and choose Preferences. Again you'll really just need to play around with the different settings, that's how you'll learn the most. Most of these homes also have Themes you can use.

You'll also want somewhere to get high quality images from, like Zedge or Flikie. There are some Awesome Live Wallpapers out there if you don't want to broadcast your band, pets, friends, family, or self on the homescreen...like: Asteroid Belt, Blue Skies, Galaxy Series by Maxelus.net, Nightfall Live Wallpaper, Starlight Live Wallpaper, Thunderstorm, Anipet Aquiarium, and much much more. Those are just the ones I have installed ATM.

Another thing I used for awhile was Apps Organizer, which enabled you to create folders, and then choose your own image. It would recognize any icon pack made for any other app.

Another fav are apps to customize your texting like Handcent, or Go SMS which I use because it's made by the same people who make my Ex Launcher. You'll want to install some font packs from the market, doesn't matter if they aren't made for the app. You'll have fun customizing your font type and color, font boxes, and background images.

I get the idea you really want someone to walk you through the entire thing, but really it's about your own personal flair, and just experimenting, but I really don't want to try to detail each option for each app.

It seemed when I install launcher pro their really are no options? I go to customize appearance and their are really just a few things. I feel like I'm missing it. And most of the widgets are only available if I buy the full edition of Launcher Pro. I think you are right as far as wanting someone to walk me through. I try to do things but after a while I just get confused. I can't spend any money on this (being a minor sucks) and I would really like to find a video or something to try and just break down how to get into deep customization. I can add wallpapers and other little things but when it gets into going in and changing all of the things I want to change I just can't seem to figure it out. And its frustrating because seeing all of these custom desktops and open screens I would think it would be simple to find a guide on how to customize everything but in reality their isn't a single thing telling you how just a bunch of people showing what theirs looks like and with this community seeming to be very large I find that either I'm blind and missing something or their isn't really anyone who has broken it down for the "newbies".

Is their any video/guide/walkthrough for customizing a Droid? Its not that I'm trying to be lazy or take the quick way out and just get it done I'm just having a hard time getting things deeper than what I have. I have widgets, a cool background, Blur, and cool apps. But I want to have the custom icons, the fast loads, the in depth customization that I see all around the forum. (Again referencing my attachments from my OP)

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not much you'll be able to do without a CC.

You could root, but that would only make the people in charge of your account upset if something went sour.

Tough to mimic the screens you posted without some monetary backing.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
V

vkw619

Reaction score
Not much you'll be able to do without a CC.

You could root, but that would only make the people in charge of your account upset if something went sour.

Tough to mimic the screens you posted without some monetary backing.

If you don't mind me asking what would I need to buy if I wanted to mimic those screens? Specifically the third one that seems the most basic? I might be able to get some money to spend on apps but I doubt I would spend a ton.

Funny note : The guy at verizon who sold us the phones (my sister has one as well but only uses it for texting.. a waste I say) is the one who told me to root my phone. He actually told me he would do it for me that day but I told him I'd rather wait. I know their are one button rooting apps out their now I could maybe use but if the guy at Verizon is telling me to root why is it bad?

MissSpiffy

Reaction score
If Launcher pro isn't doing it for you, try Ex Launcher, I switched from launcher pro to it and haven't gone back yet.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The D2G is a brickable phone.

I come from a D1, which "unbrickable".

Easy doesn't mean you should do it.
Ask hookbill, he just got a replacement D2 after he had to sbf, which resulted in the phone bricking.

I know I couldn't afford to purchase a new phone.

OP
V

vkw619

Reaction score
If Launcher pro isn't doing it for you, try Ex Launcher, I switched from launcher pro to it and haven't gone back yet.

I can't seem to find it.
Do you have a link? I searched for it on the market but nothing comes up.

Is it under a different name?

What is the differences?

I hate losing my Moto Widgets (I use the Social Networking widget as my main screen basically. Is their anything like that I can add to any of these?)

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Widgets

Battstat
BW
d-clock
Launcher pro with a custom dock bar

OP
V

vkw619

Reaction score
Widgets

Battstat
BW
d-clock
Launcher pro with a custom dock bar

Thank you. Now to just try to get everything to work well.

Do you really think Rooting a D2G is a terrible idea? What are your thoughts on Ex Launcher as she is recommending? Is LP basically what most people view as the best to use?

(Got Ex Launcher. I can't resize widgets?)

Last edited:

Canadroid

Reaction score

This is good advice. My wife's non-rooted D2 looks far more customized than my own rooted device.

Forget whatever the VZW reps tell you as far as rooting! There seems to be a lot of confusion over it; at the top of the pyramid they see it as voiding your warranty, etc.

It's not bad. BUT. There is basically some speculation now that big carriers are going to start painting it as such, more aggressively. Tethering may or may not be the primary driver behind it...

So I would wait on a one-clicker root and go read up on the pros and cons of rooting. There are many free or cheap apps for you to experiment with--check some more out! :pint:

Last edited:
OP
V

vkw619

Reaction score

This is good advice. My wife's non-rooted D2 looks far more customized than my own rooted device.

Forget whatever the VZW reps tell you as far as rooting! There seems to be a lot of confusion over it; at the top of the pyramid they see it as voiding your warranty, etc.

It's not bad. BUT. There is basically some speculation now that big carriers are going to start painting it as such, more aggressively. Tethering may or may not be the primary driver behind it...

So I would wait on a one-clicker root and go read up on the pros and cons of rooting. There are many free or cheap apps for you to experiment with--check some more out! :pint:

Is customization something that I would need a bunch of apps for? Or should just a new launcher and some themes be enough in order to get something high quality yet still run smoothly? I am afraid if I go through and get all of this stuff I will lose performance?

In Ex Launcher is it possible for the app drawer to scroll up and down and not side to side? Just another little question.

Canadroid

Reaction score
Is customization something that I would need a bunch of apps for? Or should just a new launcher and some themes be enough in order to get something high quality yet still run smoothly? I am afraid if I go through and get all of this stuff I will lose performance?

In Ex Launcher is it possible for the app drawer to scroll up and down and not side to side? Just another little question.

IIRC she does not use any custom launcher apps; I do heckle her about always having too many apps in the drawer, but for all that I don't notice much of a performance lag compared to my D2. The only thing she has had issues with is texting replacement/addon stuff like ChompSMS...

OP
V

vkw619

Reaction score

IIRC she does not use any custom launcher apps; I do heckle her about always having too many apps in the drawer, but for all that I don't notice much of a performance lag compared to my D2. The only thing she has had issues with is texting replacement/addon stuff like ChompSMS...

I personally use the stock SMS app and I text constantly (I'm a teenager what else am I going to do to communicate? xD) and I know Ex Launcher has a texting app. Is it normally recommended to stick with the stock app for things like that? This is just an opinion question. Because it seems that in order to switch apps itd be pretty complicated Dx

Canadroid

Reaction score
I personally use the stock SMS app and I text constantly (I'm a teenager what else am I going to do to communicate? xD) and I know Ex Launcher has a texting app. Is it normally recommended to stick with the stock app for things like that? This is just an opinion question. Because it seems that in order to switch apps itd be pretty complicated Dx

Personally, I'm a bit of a minimalist and shy away from replacing my stock SMS or anything similar unless it's REALLY cumbersome in the OEM form.

Not used Ex Launcher myself so can't offer any advice on it.

:pint: