HelixLauncher-anyone use it?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Sweet Kitten Feet, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Sweet Kitten Feet

Sweet Kitten Feet New Member

This was recommended to me by a friend. Looks good. 7 home screens, live wall papers, smooth UI. All available for us who are NOT rooted. Just looking for other impressions of it.
  2. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

I am rooted and I do use it. I like having the four buttons at the bottom of all the screens. I use it with 5 screens and no Live Wallpapers. Good luck.
  3. Vindii

Vindii New Member

I used it for about a week. Stopped because it is still pretty buggy. Really like the layout and 7 screens but I don't want to deal with the lag and it closing. Hopefully it gets better soon. I switched back to stock 2.1 home.
  4. Sal R.

Sal R. Member

Not rooted (not yet, anyway) and I use it. Pretty stable. It hasn't FC'ed on me and I love that it works in landscape mode. Use 7 screens.
  5. Telerding

Telerding New Member

I'm rooted (DroidMod) and have been using it for perhaps a week. I use live wallpapers and 7 home screens. Works well. Very little lag between screens.

I have had a few force closes, but it comes right back. I like it a lot. Give it a try.
  6. pyro6128

pyro6128 New Member

I'm rooted and love it. Very stable, i get no fc's. Just make sure you get the regular helix and not helix 2
  7. jcardona1

jcardona1 New Member

it's a great home replacement. much better than crappy home++ and the others. when i reboot my phone, i'll get a FC as soon as the phone starts up for some reason. but after that, it has never given me any issues
  8. dylanthecat

dylanthecat New Member

I have used it for about 2 weeks and love it. The 4 constant icons on the bottom are great. No FC at all and no speed issues. I turned off the homescreen rotation as it proved very annoying. Now I know why this was not included in the stock design.
  9. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Just another data point: It has never Force Closed on me and it is definitely not laggy on my Droid.

But you will find this kind of stuff with almost any program - they work really well on some Droids and not so well, to really crappy, on other droids. Good luck with yours.
  10. justauser

justauser New Member

Used it briefly

I used it briefly but didn't see a lot of extra value. The 4 buttons at the bottom are nice, but things like preview (double tap) didn't work for me on the droid (not rooted).
  11. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

I'm not rooted and use the 1.3 Beta version that has some nifty features. Works fine for me.
  12. JP 5.56

JP 5.56 New Member

I am not rooted, and I use Helix. I love it. No force closes, very smooth. Currently using 5 screens. Love the double-tab feature. I also like that I can customize the icons on the bottom.
  13. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Yep. I rock it with three screens only though.

[​IMG]
  14. Chillson

Chillson New Member

I am not rooted either, and have tried Sweeter Home for a bit, but this has been working great for me. Very fluid and quick when switching to another screen on the home page. It is actually one of my favorite applications that I have added to my phone.
  15. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

There is a huge thread around here regarding HelixLauncher and HelixLauncher2 (only available in the market if you are at 2.1). As for my experience I am at stock 2.0.1 unrooted using HelixLauncher and have had no problems. Love it.
  16. Mikejl

Mikejl Member

I've been using the Helix Launcher for a couple of days now and the only way I've found to close it is by pressing the "Back" or "Home" keys. Is that by design?

I prefer having it roll right down into the bottom of the screen like the stock home launcher.

Mike
  17. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Yeah not sure why they did it that way though. I never go in the app drawer anyhow, I would probably be ok with it if they just did away with the app drawer completely. That's what I use app organizer for.
  18. superglen99

superglen99 New Member

I have cyanogen with has helix 2 which is hella laggy so I switched to heilx and works great!
  19. solorca

solorca New Member

Be careful with this. I got stuck in an endless "force close" situation and was barely able to use home switcher to get back to the regular launcher.

I almost had to do a complete wipe just to make my phone usable again. There are a few threads on here where people detail similar situations.