Helix Question

Discussion in 'Android Applications Discussions' started by prough91, Apr 18, 2010.

1. prough91

prough91 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't find this problem on here yet and hoped ya'll could help me. My wife downloaded helix and when she had the option to set the stock or helix as default she accidentally pressed stock as the default. Now, I can't get helix back on. I've uninstalled and reinstalled. I've also reset the phone. Any ideas?

2. JCo352

JCo352 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Go to settings>applications>manage applications>hit menu>filter>all>scroll to home>clear defaults

3. ptfd13

ptfd13 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ^ What he said.

settings>applications>manage applications> menu button>filter>all>home>clear defaults

4. prough91

prough91 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you! That got it! You guys are awesome on this site.

5. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    If you switch between home screen apps on a regular basis or are trying out a new homescreen a very good app to have is "Home Switcher." It makes changing back and forth very simple.

6. prough91

prough91 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Are there any other home screens you guys would suggest? If I have "Home Switcher" do I still need to take off all the icons on Helix before I switch it?

7. NeverEndingXsin

NeverEndingXsin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You really don't need more than one unless you like switching things up. In that case dxtop is a nice home screen replacement that I used for a while so you could try that out. Its a paid app so you can try it within 24 hours and get a refund if you don't like it

8. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    No. Home Switcher simply changes the default Home Screen app (or let's you launch another without changing the default.) When you return to Helix all your icons will be exactly where they were before.

I've gone back and forth with various Home Screen apps over the time I've owned the Droid. My favorite other than Helix is GDE. It provides up to seven home screens, just like Helix. I've timed its performance against Helix and they're comparable.

The visual presentation is a bit different. GDE does not have the configurable four permanent icons on the bottom of the home screens. It does, however, have a 360 degree "rotation" feature that enables you to switch screens by going in only one direction with screen 7 next to screen 1. The "cube effect" of GDE is its strong point from an eye candy perspective.

I've been using Helix for a couple of weeks now and doubt I'll go back to GDE. But it's a close call. At least for me.