Helix Launcher and BetterCut

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Nickmast, Mar 18, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. Nickmast

Nickmast Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How are you guys using Helix Launcher and BetterCut?
  2. Nickmast

Nickmast Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No one? I know there are plenty of people using Helix Launcher and BetterCut.
  3. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Very carefully?

I am not sure what the question is. You will need to be more specific if you want help, since you never stated a problem. Unfortunately I can't read people's minds at this point in my life, so I can't help you out without more information. I don't think there are many other people here with psychic abilities either. :p

Are you having problems with BC with Helix? If so, what ones? Are you up to date with your Helix Launcher (1.2 is in market, 1.3 is in donors area on his thread).

I have used BC a few times, currently am using it with Helix and no issues, although that doesn't mean they don't exist.

*Edit* Added a smilie face so it doesn't seem like I am angry. I am just very sarcastic, and a donkey (if you catch my drift). Not trying to stir up anything, just having a little fun. Please don't take my reply the wrong way.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  4. Nickmast

Nickmast Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Let me further explain. Im running Blackdroid 7.8 and trying to create shortcuts with custom icons with bettercut. Typically running bettercut, you would just open bettercut and click edit shortcut, change icon and be done. Well now with blackdroid and helix, I get this message when opening bettercut, and hitting edit shortcut. "unable to edit shortcuts for android home, if you are editing open home, you MUST install open home first. the easy solution is just to uninstall bettercut and then reinstall it (without uninstalling open home)

If i hit new shortcut, it says " It's much easier to create a bettercut directly from the home screen. To do that, long press an empty space on the Home screen (or press menu/add), choose "Shortcuts"> "bettercut", try that instead? yes, no

So i go to my home screen on helix launcher and long press, shortcut, bettercut and up pops the bettercut menu to "Choose a shortcut type". Now, for the life of me, can't figure out how to edit my icons with this menu.

This is where my question lies. How are you guys using Helix Launcher and BetterCut? I can't seem to get it to work.
  5. Nickmast

Nickmast Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I take it that the version of Helix Launcher that comes with Blackdroid is not compatible with BetterCut. Where do I donate to get 1.3?
  6. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +193
    Head over to xda.developers.com search for Helix Launcher and should lead you to the dev.
  7. DroidxRage

DroidxRage Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You have to make the icon out of the launcher panel (make it as a normal shortcut) then drag it down after you've made the icon how you like. You can't edit an icon once its in the bottom launcher tray

I would also download the market version of Helix

Hope that helps.
  8. mootsucks

mootsucks Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had a little bit of trouble with this as well.

With bettercut, specifically editing icons; you are editing them on your HOME application. However, you don't go to home, you go to helixlauncher. Therefore, you need to long hold on felixlauncher, then create a shortcut, then activity and do what you have done before. Its a little bit more annoying, but its just the way it is!
  9. Nickmast

Nickmast Member

Ratings:
    +0
    See, when I try that, it doesnt change the icon. I choose the app, change icon, select the icon from the icon pack I have, click create, and nothing happens. It just goes back to the Menu. Do I have to have the donor version to do this?
  10. RedBull

RedBull Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nick,

I just downloaded HL and Better Cut. What I had to do to make mine work was clear off the shortcut icons on my home screens completely. I have a set of carbon fiber icons made by Matth3w that I wanted on the home screen.

Then:
    Long press/shortcut/activities/(wait a while, there are quite a few activites to load up) then select the activity you want. It comes up with the opportunity to change the text under the icon, for example...my "Gallery" is now "Pics". Then hit create. I just finished doing this for about 26 custom icons on my screens, and although time consuming, it has worked well for me.

I hope this helps!

Also...I had originally hoped to change the icons in the launcher tray, but found out that it's not possible with Better Cut. It only allowed me to do that with PandaHome...which I no longer use.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  11. Nickmast

Nickmast Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's exactly the process I am using, when I hit create, it does nothing. I'm using the market version of Helix. Would using the version of Helix that was included with Blackdroid enable bettercut to be used? or do I need the donor version of Helix?
  12. RedBull

RedBull Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Honestly...I'm not sure. I'm using AdamZ Smoked Glass v6.0.1, not Blackdroids ROM. I am using the Helix Launcher (red icon) from the market. It says Version 9 in the Apps Manager. And then using Better Cut. I can't understand why it's giving you grief...you're doing the same thing I am...and yet you're having no success, and I am. There were a couple times I found icons on other screens other than the one I wanted it on, but then I just dragged/dropped back to the correct screen.

I'm sorry...I was hoping that would help.
  13. jcardona1

jcardona1 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +40
    it works perfect for me using the methods described. maybe its somethign with your ROM? i'm on BB...
  14. Slipstream

Slipstream Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you guys having any problems with BC distorting the icons once they drop into the Helix tray? Mine end up jagged and ugly, which kind of ruins the perk of using Helix. The odd part is, the stock icons look perfect, so I think it must be some kind of incompatibility with BC+Helix.
  15. Nickmast

Nickmast Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That happens because Helix shrinks the icon and loses resolution, there isnt much you can do about that. I suggest using an icon in the bottom tray that isnt very graphically enhanced.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
Search tags for this page

tw launcher android#gsc.tab