1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Heat and CPU Usage issues...

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by SacredBurrito, Sep 2, 2010.

1. SacredBurrito

SacredBurrito New Member

I had my phone off the charger today for about 9 hours, having it do nothing but just sit on my desk all day. Right now it's at 90% battery life and everything stays relatively cool until I pick it up and start using it. Literally within a minute of use I can feel it get warm under the camera. I'm running BB v.4 with the stock kernel (as in I only installed the v.4 ROM, not sure if it comes with a kernel). SetCPU is set at 125/800 even though the lowest it ever goes is 250. Also, here's what SetCPU reads for "Time in State" keep in mind this is after 9 hours of just sitting on a desk, assuming the counter resets upon reboot/unplug from charger.

Kernel
    Linux version 2.6.32.9-g103d848 (android-build@apa26.mtv.corp.google.com) (gcc version 4.4.0 (GCC) ) #1 PREEMPT Wed May 26 18:02:03 PDT 2010

Battery
    Battery Temp: 25.0° C (77.0° F)
    Battery Level: 90%

CPU
    Frequency: 800000 kHz
    Load Average: 1.58 4.48 2.77 3/439 6112
    Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
    BogoMIPS : 249.15
    Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3
    CPU implementer : 0x41
    CPU architecture: 7
    CPU variant : 0x1
    CPU part : 0xc08
    CPU revision : 3

Hardware : sholes
    Revision : 0000
    Serial : 0000000000000000

Time in State
    800000 363806
    700000 6861
    600000 8039
    550000 3813
    500000 3827156
    250000 218021
    125000 0
  2. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

You have to realize that processors generate heat, the Droid's CPU is actually rated at over 150 degrees, obviously not for any long period of time, but still the rating is there for a reason.

If you are really concerned about cpu temps you would have to install a kernel that allows temp monitoring of the cpu and BB's stock kernel does not, look up some of Chevy's kernels and also you would have to get temp monitor from the Market
  3. SacredBurrito

SacredBurrito New Member

I'm currently using SetCPU's widget which seems to be working fine for temp readings, then again it could be completely inaccurate since I apparently do have the stock kernel. Any idea where I can find his kernels and which would be best for minimal use, and is capable of keeping the temps low if at all possible? I'm kind of new to all this and am uncertain as to what the kernel even does. Thanks.
  4. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

SetCPU is actually reading your Battery Temp, and BB's stock kernel doesn't allow Temp Monitoring and every device has a Kernel as it would be impossible to run your Droid without one. ChevyNo1 kernels can be found here ---> http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ch...w-froyo-kernels-cpu-temp-monitoring-back.html

Kernel Defined

Definition by wojox ; The kernel acts as a mediator for your programs and your hardware. First, it does (or arranges for) the memory management for all of the running programs (processes), and makes sure that they all get a fair (or unfair, if you please) share of the processor's cycles. In addition, it provides a nice, fairly portable interface for programs to talk to your hardware."
  5. SacredBurrito

SacredBurrito New Member

Awesome, I just had the low voltage 800mhz one installed. Could the stock kernel have been the reason the phone was overheating?
  6. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

I don't think it was overheating, it is supposed to be warm to the touch, over 100 degrees is going to be a normal operating temperature during moderate/heavy usage, you will never know exactly until you do some monitoring of the CPU itself

Personally I don't even worry about it, I am almost convinced my Droid can handle anything I put it through and I am Over Clocked to 1.1Ghz

The Low Voltage should help with battery life and temps
  7. SacredBurrito

SacredBurrito New Member

Great. It might just be me but it's actually running alot smoother now. It goes down to 125mhz too. I started up a few applications just to test it out and the phone does stay cooler. The high temps arent necessarily the issue, moreso it gives me the impression that the CPU is overworking itself. But all is well so far, the kernel update was probably all I needed. I had no idea ROMs didn't include kernels. Thanks again!
  8. SacredBurrito

SacredBurrito New Member

Just one more thing to add, my battery is at 60% now. Is that normal? It was at 90% an hour ago...
  9. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

ROM's do include kernels and as far as the battery percentage, all kernels will affect your device differently, you just have to find the one that has the right mix of temp control along side battery performance
  10. SacredBurrito

SacredBurrito New Member

Oh, why did I have the stock kernel with BB v.4 installed? Or was it not the stock one?
  11. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

BBV0.4 has an 800Mhz Kernel packaged with it, the stock Droid kernel is 550Mhz
Search tags for this page
android cpu 100 percent
does cpu usage mean heat
wat does cpu 100% mean on android
what does cpu 100% mean on android
what does cpu mean in my phone

what does cpu mean on android phones

what does cpu mean on my phone

what does cpu usage mean on my android phio
what does cpu usage mean on my phone
what does cpu usage on my phone mean
what does the words on cpu usage for android meanv