Headphones for Droid for bike rider?

Kalivos

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to use my Droid to listen to music while I'm out riding my motorcycle. Any other riders have headphones they can recommend that work well?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use Shure E3c earphones on my motorcycle. They are so good at noise isolation, however, that you may find them to be dangerous in traffic. Great sound, though.

ronhawker

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to use my Droid to listen to music while I'm out riding my motorcycle. Any other riders have headphones they can recommend that work well?

I am using the Chatterbox Xbi which works really well with the Droid on Bluetooth. Very good sound with earplugs. The earplugs take away a lot of the high frequencies like the wind without affecting the music except to make it sound better. Good to around 90mph. Good wireless intercom too. The GPS turn lady comes through well along with the music. A great setup.

I am using the standard Motorola car mount setup on the tank strapped down in front of my tankbag with the tankbag straps. I run a Powerlett connection to the battery in the tankbag and then run a car charger to the Droid for power.

Last edited:

JimmyD

Reaction score
Here is the ChatterBox company's YouTube channel with full video info on their product:

Link >>> YouTube - chatterboxUSA's Channel

CB-XBIOKIT.jpg

3478336772_797bddaf7c.jpg

Chatterbox-XBi-3.jpg

Reaction score
Chatterbox has vastly improved. the set I had with the co pilot was ugly as bell and huge. it is nice to see how much smaller they UBS gotten.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Chatterbox is a little too expensive for my taste. I just got ear buds and plug them right into my Droid. The only thing is once in a while the helmet pry's them out of my ear eventually then I have to stop and readjust. Somewhere I have to find my old dogtag style bluetooth device. I'm thinking I'll be able to pair that with the Droid and use the dogtag to adjust volume, change songs, etc. and can have my Droid in the handlebar bag and on the charger simultaneously.

daroids

Reaction score
I use the Jabra Stone bluetooth headset when riding my Vulcan. It's slim profile makes the fit inside a helmet no problem and the helmet actually helps keep the headset in my ear so I can hear (without the helmet the fit of the jabra is so lame on my ear that it almost falls off).

In practice, a fully charged headset can last me anywhere from 10 minutes to about 1.5 hours before I lose the bluetooth connection. This requires getting the helmet off to reset the stone in order to get it working again, which you know is a major pain because once I get on the road pulling over to stop after just 10 minutes and adjust my headset is the last thing I want to do.

Actually having a phone conversation with it is definitely possible, but extremely difficult around 20-30 mph and near impossible at higher speeds. Maybe adding foam will help with reducing wind noise, but stock application makes phone calls while riding a virtual non-option.

I thought the Stone would be a perfect solution, but it has several flaws. The bluetooth connection drops easily, especially if there is physical interference. The controls are "cool" but don't always work well, which doesn't matter if you wear a full face helmet anyway since you can't reach them. The main advantage is that it plays media (music, gps nav, etc) in addition to phone audio. To my knowledge, most bluetooth headsets only support phone audio, so a unit like the Stone is still a huge improvement over other bluetooth options.

I also have a skull candy set of wired ear buds that block out the sound great, but don't do so well with some sounds, like song voals and synthesized speech (gps nav voice).

I'm always looking for an improved situation, but these are the options I use now. I'd be interested in hearing of any setup people have found to work well.

bpad10

Reaction score
I am not a big fan of any ear-piece while riding. be careful out there....I know for a fact that most drivers aren't paying attention to us and if we're distracted while driving, well.....

keep 2 wheels down and your head up....safe riden....

Tesla's_Child

Reaction score
No droid yet but I use Skull Candy ear buds. Though only on the Highway as they really block out all other sounds. They are slim so that they usually don't come out when the helmet comes on and I can pull them out when I'm off the highway and almost home. The foam design is a lot like a standard disposable ear plug.