Headphone Jack Not Working

Squeak87

Reaction score
So I tried to plug my headphones in but the audio is still going through my phone speaker. I'm almost positive its the jack and not the headphones. Anyone else have this problem or heard of it before?

(Droid Razr Maxx <<ICS .215>>)

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
My bionic had this problem, turned out to be lint inside the jack. I removed it gently with a tiny paperclip, then blew it out with compressed air. Shine a light down there before and after. Funny, someone else just asked this in the bionic forum. Hope that's it, good luck.

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
giant25 said:
My bionic had this problem, turned out to be lint inside the jack. I removed it gently with a tiny paperclip, then blew it out with compressed air. Shine a light down there before and after. Funny, someone else just asked this in the bionic forum. Hope that's it, good luck.

I was thinking that might be the case, my phone has never been in my pocket so it would have to be dirt or something. Thanks for the insight.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Squeak87 said:
So I tried to plug my headphones in but the audio is still going through my phone speaker. I'm almost positive its the jack and not the headphones. Anyone else have this problem or heard of it before?

My RAZR randomly does this. Usually just unplugging it and plugging it back in works. Once in a while it takes a couple tries. It hadn't bothered me enough to worry about it. Once after cleaning the lint out of my lg vortex jack it wouldn't work until i restarted the phone for some reason

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
I tried using different headphones but none work so I cleaned it out with compressed air today, have to try again this evening to see if it worked. I will also try rebooting my phone.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Squeak87 said:
I tried using different headphones but none work so I cleaned it out with compressed air today, have to try again this evening to see if it worked. I will also try rebooting my phone.

It's possible the jack is bad. I'd probably bring it to Verizon for a replacement if no one else here knows what's wrong. I'm my opinion it should be a warranty issue. But i don't know

OP
Squeak87

Squeak87

Reaction score
I got it to work last night, had to plug the headphones in and take them out a few times but it worked. My only issue with getting a replacment phone is that I hate having to setup my phone all over again. If the problem gets worse that will be an option though. Thanks again for the tips!

tonydr58

Reaction score
Compressed air into the jack fixed the problem on my Raxr Maxx. Previously to cutting out completely, I had noticed several false starts that required me to pull/push the headphone plug to get it working. Next time I get some intermittent operation like that I will clean it out with the air and try to avoid the problem in the future. A little maintenance can go a long way. The last thing I wanted to do was get a refurbished replacement since the rest of the phone has really performed well.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
If you don't have lint or something else obstructing your Jack, try this....

Power of your phone, use your headphone plug and dip it in isopropyl alcohol, 90% or higher... you don't want it dripping wet, just have some on it...

Plug it in, un plug it, twist it left and right... do this delicately, but repeat the plugging and unplugging and twisting... this will clean the electrolysis off..

Wait a few moments for it to dry before you power on the device.

Also, blowing it out with compressed air could push a foreign object deeper into the device and cause bigger issues...

But so can too much alcohol. :D

liquidgooey

Reaction score
Droid Razr Headphone jack issue

I developed the same problem on my Droid Razr ever since I did the ICS upgrade.
I normally use bluetooth headphones but often plug external speakers into the headphone jack...ever since I updated to ICS I can no longer use the headphone jack.

Does anyone have a resolution to this?

joshxdroid

Reaction score
liquidgooey said:
I developed the same problem on my Droid Razr ever since I did the ICS upgrade.
I normally use bluetooth headphones but often plug external speakers into the headphone jack...ever since I updated to ICS I can no longer use the headphone jack.

Does anyone have a resolution to this?

I highly doubt ICS has anything to do with it. Did you check the jack for lint?

dmwoods

Reaction score
If anyone is still having this issue, try an app called SoundAbout. It has resolved many of these audio issues.

moondog2

Reaction score
Headphone socket not working on my desire.

I read the messages on this forum and tried them - they did not work, what sorted the problem for me was the disconnection then reconnection of the phones battery - i guess that gave it a re-boot, give it a try

butchdon

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Android Razr
I blew some canned air in the jack, then used a q-tip with most of the cotton removed and a touch of alcohol rotating it in the jack. Now it works like new.

I should have remembered I did something like this before, using a paper clip with a "burr' on it to remove the lint first then the q-tip.