Headphone audio issue w/ extended battery installed.

Reaction score
I got my extended battery this afternoon at work and installed it immediately and let that sucker charge. No issues throughout the day and I actually like the way it makes the phone feel, gets rid of that weird hump in the back and rounds it out better.

On my way to the train station I popped in my Shure earbuds and was getting hella-static and popping when listening to music or streaming youtube, pretty much any audio, notifications, ringtone...etc. I thought my earbuds had suddenly gone bad, I can tap the back of the phone and get immediate static feedback. It's pretty much unusable as a music device while in my pocket, all the shuffling around just made it worse. I got home and popped in the original battery and all was well again.

Do I just have a bad battery or has anyone else just not tried this yet?

OP
HumorousMaximus
Reaction score
I'm a fool.

It's my headphones, tried swapping the battery a second time and the issue is definitely my headphones. It just so happens that this started this afternoon... they were fine this morning and they've been in my jacket pocket all day.

anyways... disregard this thread. I'll delete it if I can figure out how.

jpierre

Reaction score
You're not a fool,

I've just experienced a weird headphone issue with the extended battery: The phone will not detect when I unplug the headphones anymore, getting stuck in headphone mode forever, meaning that I can't hear anything through the phone's earpiece, but only through headphones and speakerphone mode.

Music would not stop automatically when I unplug my headphones. I've been working on this for two days trying to understand the problem, undoing things that I've been doing for the last few days, trying to get a the root cause. The only way I managed to solve this was by reinstalling its original battery and cover!

Hope this is useful information for someone who has the same issue.

jpierre

Reaction score
Wait,

As always with these issues, now I'm testing and re-testing, and the problem doesn't seem to be actually linked to the extended battery, but to the headphones that I'm using. I have a pair of Philips headphones that are very high quality, but it seems that if I use them, it doesn't register the unplugging. As a fact of matter, I have to reboot the mobile phone to get it to understand that it doesn't have headphones plugged in. I can't even get the phone to detect unplugging of the headphones that came with it once I plug the Philips headphones once. I don't feel like stopping to use my Philips headphones, since they are much better than those that came with the phone.

I'm sorry for having published the previous message stating that the external battery had to do with this issue. It is the headphones that I'm using, they have different electrical properties.

LuvMusic

Reaction score
Wait,

I have a pair of Philips headphones that are very high quality, but it seems that if I use them, it doesn't register the unplugging.

IME, I'm not sure Philips and "very high quality" belong in the same sentence....sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

I have the extended battery in my GN and use Klipsch, Shure and Monster headphones....all without issue. As with the two cases above, almost certainly it's the headphones or IEM's. Sorry about your Shures, when I want flat, uncolored music, that is what I use.