headed to the vzw store to swap my handset, what steps should I take?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by velocity92c, Jun 21, 2010.

1. velocity92c

velocity92c New Member

My phones keyboard adhesive has come loose so I'm going to go up to the vzw store and swap it out.

First, my phone is rooted so I need to unroot my phone first, since that voids my warranty, right? Is this an easy process?

Second, on my new handset, if I do a nandroid restore, will it return my phone to the state that it's currently in, assuming I make a new backup? If so, where are the nandroid backups located, and can they be copied to the pc?

Third, are there any apps that automate the process? I wouldn't be opposed to paying a few bucks to make this easier.

Anything else I should know? Thanks in advance.
  2. Wildyfz450

Wildyfz450 New Member

Unrooting isn't that hard of a process.
    Yes for your new handset if you load up the nandroid restore you will be exactly where you made that one. But you will need to install SPrecovery or clockword to do so.
    The nandroid backups are SDcard/Nandroid/ and all your backups will be there. You can just copy the one you need or even the whole folder. It is a good idea to have your whole SD card saved on your PC tho.
  3. eliassami5

eliassami5 New Member

4. techguru

techguru Member

Rooting does NOT void a warranty. Unless Verizon can prove that your issue is caused by your modifications (and a loose keyboard certainly doesn't count) than it is ILLEGAL for them to withhold warranty service or replacement.

This link is about car modifications, but the law is not specific to motor vehicles only.
    Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act

General information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

Alan
  5. eliassami5

eliassami5 New Member

..wrong...........

6. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Except for the part where you agreed not to mod your phone when you bought the service from them. See the above post.

Good luck citing Wikipedia in a court of law....
  7. Inkubik7

Inkubik7 New Member

I think it's very specific where it says "defects or damages resulting from...

I think you're fine with a physical issue, because I don't think rooting your phone made your keyboard become less adhesive. Unless of course you're an extreme rooter.

I agree with quoting wikipedia though...not gonna get anywhere doing that.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  8. eliassami5

eliassami5 New Member

rooting = over clocking = heat = can cause keyboard to un-adhere
  9. MrC1122

MrC1122 Member

I beg to differ...rooting does not equal oc. I ran my phone for awhile just being rooted so I could run a custom theme. However, any modification such as rooting does void your warranty. And yes, if you oc, that will cause additional heat thus enabling loss of adheasion. (you can bet your a** verizon will throw this at you!) Returnin the phone back to "stock" (unrooting) may help, at any rate...good luck man.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  10. eliassami5

eliassami5 New Member

lol well ur one of the very few that didnt overclock once you rooted. The majority of people root just to be able to over clock their device. Thats probably the #1 reason to root, next to wifi teather and custom themes.
  11. MrC1122

MrC1122 Member

Actually, wifi was a factor for rooting as well. It was mainly a case of brickphone-itus that initially stopped me from oc. lol
  12. FlipCpt45

FlipCpt45 New Member

True. My keyboard is very hard to press and makes a crackling sound when i press it.. I'm overclocked @ 1.2ghz P3 Froyo & I've done many stress tests while trying out different Kernels (Even once with it sitting on top of a bag of ice lmfao)

I brought my phone to VZW with it rooted and everything and the tech told me it was slowing down because of the apps... Then proceeded to say something like "Your phone.. Doesn't have it.." lol Dunno what she was referring to..

Anyway, I should be receiving my replacement either tomorrow or weds.. I'll just flash the stock 2.1 .sbf file before I send it out with RSDLite
  13. kristoff125

kristoff125 New Member

On the bright side, unrooting / restoring to stock is easier than rooting.
    Also, verizon doesn't care if you root, maybe in corporate policy they do, but at the store where they get #'s from you having a contract with a data plan, they don't.
  14. techguru

techguru Member

No, your quotes go directly to my points. Only damage that is caused by software modifications or use outside the agreed to uses can void the warranty. Physical damage is covered no matter what software you are running (other than possibly a burned out processor from over-clocking, but then it would be pretty hard for them to prove you rooted anyway).

Alan
  15. techguru

techguru Member

Well duh!!! If I were to go to court, I would have the full text of the act, with highlights of the relevant portions and prior case law to back it up. The articles were to provide the OP with some assurance and something to show the Verizon store bot that he means business if they give him a hard time.

Alan
  16. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

it takes all of 5 minutes to unroot if you're familiar at all with the process... so why not play it safer than sorry and just do it, especially if you're giving the phone back anyway
  17. jomama22

jomama22 New Member

If you have rom manager they have stock images that aren't rooted that you can flash on your droid even while at the store

This is what I did and it took 5 min. Just make sure to make a backup first

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  18. STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER New Member

I've had a few defective phones swapped out in the last 7 years... In my experience they don't even look that hard... Especially since this is a physical problem... I'd bet the farm they take one look and immediately hand you your replacement. I'm not seeing the Verizon tech having the knowhow or the time to make the "rooted+overclock+heat=keyboard falling apart" connection....
  19. jomama22

jomama22 New Member

I actually had a ***** from verizon not swap or my phone when the headphone jack waa broken. She lifteraly grabbed her headphones and
    Tried to tell me it was fine. When I showed her that if you turned it at all it cracked she said "You shouldn't move it when listening"

So yes, they can be ****ing jackasses

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  20. FlipCpt45

FlipCpt45 New Member

What the heck?

Refurbs are practically brand new phones with all the accessories? Badass.