HDMI question

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I tested out the HDMI mirroring on the X2 for the first time tonight. Youtube (HQ) videos look great, 720p videos taken with the phone look great. However, games, the homescreen, the main gallery area (and some pics) look real pixelated and not crisp. My TV, I believe, is only 720p - could that be the reason? I believe it mirrors in 1080p... but I would think "squeezing" that into 720p would only be better... I clearly don't have great knowledge in that area. :)

moomooplatter

Reaction score
Squeezing 1080 pixels into 720 is going to create visible tearing problems on-screen because the aspects are squeezing 4/3 of a 1080 pixel into each 720 pixel, thus your picture might be distorted and/or crappy. If the phone is outputting the picture into 1080p and having to take that texture being rendered and resize it every frame, there will be issues with picture quality and clarity when rendering shaders for blended outputs like video games.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Squeezing 1080 pixels into 720 is going to create visible tearing problems on-screen because the aspects are squeezing 4/3 of a 1080 pixel into each 720 pixel, thus your picture might be distorted and/or crappy. If the phone is outputting the picture into 1080p and having to take that texture being rendered and resize it every frame, there will be issues with picture quality and clarity when rendering shaders for blended outputs like video games.

Hope this helps!

That does help, and makes perfect sense... thank you for that explanation. That, I would assume, also explains why things "native" to the phone, like the home screen, and even apps/games are having issues, but playing videos the phone takes (which it takes in 720p) as well as high quality youtube vids (which I believe are also 720) - those all look fine... but when it's playing those videos, the screen on the phone actually shuts off.

Thanks again... I wonder if it's wrong to upgrade your TV b/c of your phone? Don't think I could ever justify that one... ;)

Snow02

Reaction score
You should have hdmi settings to choose output resolution and refresh rate.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea someone checked. I think the HDMI settings is different on the DX2 compared to the DX1. Which would be kinda strange.

moomooplatter

Reaction score
Yeah, there should be options to mess with for resolution,I haven't looked into them yet. I would justify getting that television just for 1080 in general. It will provide more enjoyment and benefit than just phone performance.

Snow02

Reaction score
Yeah, there should be options to mess with for resolution,I haven't looked into them yet. I would justify getting that television just for 1080 in general. It will provide more enjoyment and benefit than just phone performance.

I'm still dubious about the explanation. It'd be worthwhile to try it on a 1080 set to see if that does in fact rectify the issues.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

I'm still dubious about the explanation. It'd be worthwhile to try it on a 1080 set to see if that does in fact rectify the issues.

Every demo I've seen shows it looking great on other HD TV's - they never say "this is a 1080p TV we're using", but I think it's a safe assumption.

I don't have one real handy to try unfortunately.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

If I remember right, on the DX it was Settings>HDMI>then hit menu and it would bring up the options right? If so, it's not there...the only thing under that area is "overscan" settings, and hitting menu brings nothing up. I haven't been able to find settings any where else.

Unless there's something buggy... I have seen the occasional weird issue - for example, in the Android Facebook app, I can't scroll all the way down to "other settings where you can change whether or not you sync your contacts - it just won't go. But the HDMI settings don't appear to be that "issue"...

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
jroc is that you over at androidforums? :p