1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

HDMI question

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X2' started by jntdroid, May 22, 2011.

1. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator Premium Member

I tested out the HDMI mirroring on the X2 for the first time tonight. Youtube (HQ) videos look great, 720p videos taken with the phone look great. However, games, the homescreen, the main gallery area (and some pics) look real pixelated and not crisp. My TV, I believe, is only 720p - could that be the reason? I believe it mirrors in 1080p... but I would think "squeezing" that into 720p would only be better... I clearly don't have great knowledge in that area. :)
  2. moomooplatter

moomooplatter New Member

Squeezing 1080 pixels into 720 is going to create visible tearing problems on-screen because the aspects are squeezing 4/3 of a 1080 pixel into each 720 pixel, thus your picture might be distorted and/or crappy. If the phone is outputting the picture into 1080p and having to take that texture being rendered and resize it every frame, there will be issues with picture quality and clarity when rendering shaders for blended outputs like video games.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
  3. jntdroid

That does help, and makes perfect sense... thank you for that explanation. That, I would assume, also explains why things "native" to the phone, like the home screen, and even apps/games are having issues, but playing videos the phone takes (which it takes in 720p) as well as high quality youtube vids (which I believe are also 720) - those all look fine... but when it's playing those videos, the screen on the phone actually shuts off.

Thanks again... I wonder if it's wrong to upgrade your TV b/c of your phone? Don't think I could ever justify that one... ;)
  4. Snow02

Snow02 New Member

You should have hdmi settings to choose output resolution and refresh rate.
  5. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Yea someone checked. I think the HDMI settings is different on the DX2 compared to the DX1. Which would be kinda strange.
  6. moomooplatter

moomooplatter New Member

Yeah, there should be options to mess with for resolution,I haven't looked into them yet. I would justify getting that television just for 1080 in general. It will provide more enjoyment and benefit than just phone performance.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
  7. Snow02

Snow02 New Member

I'm still dubious about the explanation. It'd be worthwhile to try it on a 1080 set to see if that does in fact rectify the issues.
  8. jntdroid

Every demo I've seen shows it looking great on other HD TV's - they never say "this is a 1080p TV we're using", but I think it's a safe assumption.

I don't have one real handy to try unfortunately.
  9. jntdroid

If I remember right, on the DX it was Settings>HDMI>then hit menu and it would bring up the options right? If so, it's not there...the only thing under that area is "overscan" settings, and hitting menu brings nothing up. I haven't been able to find settings any where else.

Unless there's something buggy... I have seen the occasional weird issue - for example, in the Android Facebook app, I can't scroll all the way down to "other settings where you can change whether or not you sync your contacts - it just won't go. But the HDMI settings don't appear to be that "issue"...
  10. jntdroid

jroc is that you over at androidforums? :p
  11. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

lol, yea thats me.
Search tags for this page
can droid x2 play videogames on hdmi setting
does droid x2 distort when mirror to tv
droid x2 hdmi image quality
droid x2 hdmi overscan

droid x2 hdmi quality