HDMI out looks REALLY bad, what am I doing wrong?

ngt

Reaction score
Bought an hdmi cable. It looks really pixelated in my videos and streaming netflix. It looked better on my droid razr max. Thoughts? Opinions? Any fix for this? My friend said it might be outputting a picture made for the size of my phone instead of the size of my tv, but why have video out then?

1coopgt

Reaction score
Ummm what ? I don't think the S5 has HDMI output . I don't remember that being a listed feature. Plus my S5 doesn't have a Mini HDMI connector .

OP
ngt

ngt

Reaction score
The s5 has hdmi out via an MHL to HDMI adapter.

samsung-galaxy-s5-note-3-mhl-2-0-hdtv-hdmi-adapter-p38702-300.jpg

I went the cheap route and got this:

$(KGrHqN,!ocFHlLL5OdqBSDIHWb1jQ~~60_57.JPG

Is it a "you get what you pay for" type of thing? or are they all going to look like crap because it's not a true hdmi output like my droid razr maxx?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
You need the $50. MHL Adapter cables alone won't work.

samsung-galaxy-s5-s4-note-3-mhl-2-0-hdtv-hdmi-adapter-p38702-300.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S5 / S4 / Note 3 MHL 2.0 HDTV HDMI Adapter

53.jpg
Part No: ET-H10FAUWEGWW
Product Reference: 38702
Display video content or mirror what you see on your smartphone including the Galaxy S5, S4, Note 3 to your far larger HDTV with this official Samsung MHL 2.0 HDTV HDMI Adapter supporting 1080p/60Hz and 7.l surround sound output.

OP
ngt

ngt

Reaction score
You need the $50. MHL Adapter cables alone won't work.

samsung-galaxy-s5-s4-note-3-mhl-2-0-hdtv-hdmi-adapter-p38702-300.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S5 / S4 / Note 3 MHL 2.0 HDTV HDMI Adapter

53.jpg
Part No: ET-H10FAUWEGWW
Product Reference: 38702
Display video content or mirror what you see on your smartphone including the Galaxy S5, S4, Note 3 to your far larger HDTV with this official Samsung MHL 2.0 HDTV HDMI Adapter supporting 1080p/60Hz and 7.l surround sound output.

Are you 100% sure it will display well on a larger hdtv or projector?? I'd really hate to throw out another $50 and have it look like crap still.

OP
ngt

ngt

Reaction score
So...I went down to best buy and went for the expensive one. They didn't have it and the Samsung and best buy guys said to get the "Rocketfish" version. Well, it doesn't work. No picture at all. The guy told me to get some screen share app, but it only talks about working via bluetooth. Anyone know what app they are talking about and how it works? I'd like to make sure I know what I'm doing before I take this back.

OP
ngt

ngt

Reaction score
Something else that I noticed was when I plug the cheapo cord in, it says "hdmi plugged in" or something like that on the phone, but when I plug the other rocketfish one in, it doesn't say anything.

wcjeep

Reaction score
Not tried yet on my S5. On my S3, the factory Mhl worked great. No pixelation.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
So...I went down to best buy and went for the expensive one. They didn't have it and the Samsung and best buy guys said to get the "Rocketfish" version. Well, it doesn't work. No picture at all. The guy told me to get some screen share app, but it only talks about working via bluetooth. Anyone know what app they are talking about and how it works? I'd like to make sure I know what I'm doing before I take this back.
I'm not sure which App he is referring too. Perhaps Mirrorshare.

1coopgt

Reaction score
The s5 has hdmi out via an MHL to HDMI adapter.

samsung-galaxy-s5-note-3-mhl-2-0-hdtv-hdmi-adapter-p38702-300.jpg

I went the cheap route and got this:

$(KGrHqN,!ocFHlLL5OdqBSDIHWb1jQ~~60_57.JPG

Is it a "you get what you pay for" type of thing? or are they all going to look like crap because it's not a true hdmi output like my droid razr maxx?

Sorry about that . I didn't know the S5 was capable of this. I'm coming from a Razr Maxx and it had a dedicated HDMI out connector . Hope you figure it out .

OP
ngt

ngt

Reaction score
Sorry about that . I didn't know the S5 was capable of this. I'm coming from a Razr Maxx and it had a dedicated HDMI out connector . Hope you figure it out .

no worries, I miss my droid razr maxx because of the hdmi out. That and the "menu" button on the actual phone. Nothing on the s5 but the speed and the screen feel like a step up to me.