HDMI Out locked down???

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
WOW....did I actually stump "the board"??? On the one hand, I feel a sense of accomplishment that I found something that seems to be impossible to do (i.e. override the HDMI lock function for apps like HBO GO) On the other hand, I am deeply saddened that I CAN"T DO THIS!!! ;)

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
if I can run HBOGo on my laptop, and connect it with HDMI to my TV, why can't I do the exact same thing with my phone?!?!??!?! :mad:

Do we know that to be the case? I actually have not tried. If so, even MORE infuriating!

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Do we know that to be the case? I actually have not tried. If so, even MORE infuriating!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure we've already watched a few movies that way. I can try again tonight to confirm. :)

As far as stumping the board, I'd say I had assumed that HBO has some short, evil line in their app that basically says:

If HDMI.connection = true then HDMI.output = false

I don't think, without mucking up the code at that level, that a "fix" is possible.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
OK so yeah I can confirm that HBOGo+HDMI (to TV) works on my laptop AND Asus Transformer. BUT there is a catch: it works through the browser (the HBOGo app isn't compatible with the Transformer). I haven't gotten a chance to see if it works on the browser with the D3, but I'd expect it does -- and reaffirms my suspicion that it's an Android-code issue. WHY HBO did that, I'm not sure. I also think by inspecting the APK someone might be able figure out exactly where the restriction is, but that's light years beyond my skill level. I'm barely past "Hello world" with the Android SDK!

-Matt

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
BRILLIANT though. I may be able to use it through the browser on my phone. I didn't even think of that one.

edit: When I go into it via browser on my phone, it forces me to a screen to either download the app or open the app. UGH! What the heck man!

edit #2: Well, found a possible workaround. Tried using the Dolphin browser to emulate a PC. Was able to open the home screen. The issue now is that because it is emulating a PC, I cannot seem to scroll down the HBO page. Could just be a connection/slow page load thing but I"ll keep you posted.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
BRILLIANT though. I may be able to use it through the browser on my phone. I didn't even think of that one.

edit: When I go into it via browser on my phone, it forces me to a screen to either download the app or open the app. UGH! What the heck man!

edit #2: Well, found a possible workaround. Tried using the Dolphin browser to emulate a PC. Was able to open the home screen. The issue now is that because it is emulating a PC, I cannot seem to scroll down the HBO page. Could just be a connection/slow page load thing but I"ll keep you posted.
Try double tapping the screen

GUMMY

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
Well no luck again :( I was really optimistic. If I use the dolphin browser to emulate a PC and try to open HBO-GO, it really doesn't function well at all. Impossible to really drill down into the different menus and move around the screen making it virtually impossible to get to a point where you can find the show you want to watch.Anyone know of any other apps that are browsers that would allow you to change settings to direct you to the standard web site (not the mobile site)? This seems like the last ditch option at this point.

MsterKush

Reaction score
Fvb

I tried using Dolphin emulating PC and it did not work....however, I downloaded an app called Flash Video Browser and it does work with sites that Dolphin fails at.

cokey

Reaction score
Why did this thread die, anyone figure it out?

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
Wish I knew....it'd be a great function to have off of a device other than a laptop!

nodixe

Reaction score
Reminds me of 1+ yrs ago when vzw conspired to disable netflix and hbo output over hdmi on DX. Older apk's would still work till some firmware update killed them too...I think? If I understand correctly every hdmi output/cable has proprietary encryption embedded to maintain a pure digital bitstream and since hdmi out is a Motorola feature and not android (ie: not open source) they used their own code/driver/etc which they don't share too much. I too would very much like to see this resolved. On the DX a patch was released by saurus(?) that enabled hdmi for 2init aosp roms on GB kernel but I think the problem is the lack of an official ics kernel to build off. That means that software to run hdmi out on ics doesn't exist. With a fully developed/supported kexec kernel its possible but some awesome dev might have to program the software from the ground up. Once we have an ics/kexec rom with working hdmi and overclock I'm purging vzw from my stock system partition!

NOTE: I am just repeating information I read as best I understand so I welcome any corrections or clarification

SCH i400->MB810->XT862 sent using Tapatalk 2

nodixe

Reaction score
Oh yeah! I read somewhere that firefox had the most complete desktop experience so maybe try that..... seems like it should be possible to screen cast over wifi or usb. The GNex supports usb to hdmi conversion so...,

SCH i400->MB810->XT862 sent using Tapatalk 2

gan777

Reaction score
I don't know if this will help, but I would like to see a workaround for this. While I was waiting around at work today for a computer issue to be resolved I started looking through the file system on my razr to see if I could find anything... I came across a file in etc/permissions called com.verizon.hardware.hdmi.xml. I opened the file and it says something about this being there to prevent content from being displayed through hdmi. There is a reference to "permissions" in the file that looks like it references its permissions from a database (see below). I know squat about XML myself so I am hoping someone else might be able to make use of this info.
<permissions>
<feature name="vzw.hardware.hdmi"/>
</permissions>

edit: I tried simply renaming the file hoping that if it didn't find it, maybe it would work. That had no effect.​

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
Still not working but message now says "HBO hopes to offer this feature soon" we'll see