HDMI Out locked down???

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by fishacura, Mar 21, 2012.

1. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Senior Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Kind of off-topic, but I installed Hashcode's AOKP ROM last night -- it looks gorgeous and runs fast -- but it seems HDMI still isn't working on that particular port. :(

-Matt

2. NoBloatware

NoBloatware Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Yes, officially I am not condoning copyright infringement. Bittorrent is very convenient and free, but it is up to the end user to decide how to use it. There are public domain movies, songs, etc. available and those are fine for anyone to download. If you want to download HBO stuff it is easy and free but you should check with your lawyer regarding the laws in your country. I don't want to get banned either. Bittorrent can be used legitimately so I hope the moderators keep this in mind.

3. gadgetrants

Ratings:
    +228
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    NB, I want to be 100% clear that my post was meant in fun, and while I wouldn't condone it either -- I'd rather not fess up about my "Napster" days. ;) I distinctly remember FairUse Wizard using the same argument you suggested, i.e., that it should be legal to create a digital copy of media you own, for backup/archival purposes. Too bad it may not be the current rule.

Either way, I think fishacura has a really good point: if I can run HBOGo on my laptop, and connect it with HDMI to my TV, why can't I do the exact same thing with my phone?!?!??!?! :mad:

-Matt

4. fishacura

fishacura Member

Ratings:
    +0
    WOW....did I actually stump "the board"??? On the one hand, I feel a sense of accomplishment that I found something that seems to be impossible to do (i.e. override the HDMI lock function for apps like HBO GO) On the other hand, I am deeply saddened that I CAN"T DO THIS!!! ;)

5. fishacura

fishacura Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do we know that to be the case? I actually have not tried. If so, even MORE infuriating!

6. gadgetrants

Ratings:
    +228
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure we've already watched a few movies that way. I can try again tonight to confirm. :)

As far as stumping the board, I'd say I had assumed that HBO has some short, evil line in their app that basically says:

If HDMI.connection = true then HDMI.output = false

I don't think, without mucking up the code at that level, that a "fix" is possible.

-Matt

7. gadgetrants

Ratings:
    +228
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    OK so yeah I can confirm that HBOGo+HDMI (to TV) works on my laptop AND Asus Transformer. BUT there is a catch: it works through the browser (the HBOGo app isn't compatible with the Transformer). I haven't gotten a chance to see if it works on the browser with the D3, but I'd expect it does -- and reaffirms my suspicion that it's an Android-code issue. WHY HBO did that, I'm not sure. I also think by inspecting the APK someone might be able figure out exactly where the restriction is, but that's light years beyond my skill level. I'm barely past "Hello world" with the Android SDK!

-Matt

8. fishacura

fishacura Member

Ratings:
    +0
    BRILLIANT though. I may be able to use it through the browser on my phone. I didn't even think of that one.

edit: When I go into it via browser on my phone, it forces me to a screen to either download the app or open the app. UGH! What the heck man!

edit #2: Well, found a possible workaround. Tried using the Dolphin browser to emulate a PC. Was able to open the home screen. The issue now is that because it is emulating a PC, I cannot seem to scroll down the HBO page. Could just be a connection/slow page load thing but I"ll keep you posted.

9. brad92

brad92 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Try double tapping the screen

GUMMY

10. fishacura

fishacura Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well no luck again :( I was really optimistic. If I use the dolphin browser to emulate a PC and try to open HBO-GO, it really doesn't function well at all. Impossible to really drill down into the different menus and move around the screen making it virtually impossible to get to a point where you can find the show you want to watch.Anyone know of any other apps that are browsers that would allow you to change settings to direct you to the standard web site (not the mobile site)? This seems like the last ditch option at this point.

11. MsterKush

MsterKush Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Fvb

I tried using Dolphin emulating PC and it did not work....however, I downloaded an app called Flash Video Browser and it does work with sites that Dolphin fails at.

12. TRiLLSiPPiN

TRiLLSiPPiN Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Opera mobile app has worked for me when dolphin fails.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Search tags for this page
android spoof hdmi
does hbo go use mini hdmi?
hbo go hdmi is disabled
hbo go micro hdmi

hbo go no hdmi output

hbogo device already paired
hdmi android spoof
how to unblock hdmi content
kexec rom with hdmi out
spoof hdmi output